Puget sound kings

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Puget sound kings

Post by Diver_Dave »

Does anyone down there eat Puget sound king crabs??
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Puget sound kings

Post by CaptnJack »

I'm going to go with no... They are not legal to harvest here.
"May not retain Puget Sound KING CRAB, BOX CRAB, or PACIFIC GRACEFUL CRAB." Page 133
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01590/wdfw01590.pdf
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Besides, their hella ugly.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Diver_Dave wrote:Does anyone down there eat Puget sound king crabs??
I've heard that they are delicious, but have never had the chance to partake myself. :burntchef:

I've also heard of people poaching one, doing a crab boil on a remote island beach, and partaking, but I don't remember who and couldn't tell you how they tasted. :angelblue:

I don't think a whole lot is known about their populations by anyone, frankly. Their habitat is very different from typical harvestable crab habitat (deep rock walls as opposed to sandy bottoms).

Perhaps an old timer can chime in from their knowledge of "back in the day". :rawlings: :rawlings: :rawlings:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I'd like to know if PUGET SOUND king crabs were once plentiful, or maybe not uncommon in central PS once a long long time ago. Not their usual habitat for sure. I've never seen one south of Skyline though there is sporadic reports of Juvis at Keystone and other locations.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

fmerkel wrote:I'd like to know if PUGET SOUND king crabs were once plentiful, or maybe not uncommon in central PS once a long long time ago. Not their usual habitat for sure. I've never seen one south of Skyline though there is sporadic reports of Juvis at Keystone and other locations.
I doubt it. Not rocky enough, not enough walls. I think I've seen one at Waterman's, but all the Point Defiance/Dalco/Lobster Shack area walls are not the right substrate. Ditto Day Island and places like Z's and Sunrise.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

fmerkel wrote:I'd like to know if PUGET SOUND king crabs were once plentiful, or maybe not uncommon in central PS once a long long time ago. Not their usual habitat for sure. I've never seen one south of Skyline though there is sporadic reports of Juvis at Keystone and other locations.
I have seen one or two at Keystone
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Two at Possession Point Fingers.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

For Jeremy & Jan, and others who might post of seeing PSKC in the Sound - what size were they?

I have seen juveniles, for instance at Point Hudson, and heard of juveniles at Keystone, but I have not heard of adults in the inner Sound - only in the San Juans or in the Straight headed toward Neah Bay.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Hear in S.E. Alaska they seam to be a lot around in the Pearl Straits area...Every time cucumber season starts in pearl we see them all the time...Good size and very good to eat.... Even have one hanging on the wall for show...
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Seen few juvi at Skyline. Found one medium size molt and similar live. Not common at all.
Couple juvi at Pt. Hudson. Never any larger.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Waterman's was a little bigger than hand sized, not a juvenile.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Jan K wrote:Two at Possession Point Fingers.
When r u coming to S.E.Alaska to dive w/us...We have a lava tube dive u have to do...The tube comes up in the middle of a island...St.Lazeria island check it out....http://www.nwdiveclub.com/download/file.php?id=20960
Attachments
C19C1161.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Tom Nic wrote:For Jeremy & Jan, and others who might post of seeing PSKC in the Sound - what size were they?

I have seen juveniles, for instance at Point Hudson, and heard of juveniles at Keystone, but I have not heard of adults in the inner Sound - only in the San Juans or in the Straight headed toward Neah Bay.
About a hand size, same size one time at Keystone.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice Jan! Those are definitely getting bigger.

One wonders if they are a deep water species.

I know they like rocky habitat.

Any tech divers see them deep?
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Seen 12 in one day cucumber diving all were under 50ft.. All were full sized
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I have seen tons of juveniles at Pt Hudson but only one I would class as an adult.
PSKCnet.jpg
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

It used to be legal to harvest Puget Sound King Crab years ago. My best friend, Sparky", and I would go up to the San Juans in January and February specifically to dive for them. We'd take our families, rent a cabin, and eat some of the finest seafood known to mankind. PSKC are absolutely delicious!!! However, they were placed on the list of "closed for harvest" species years ago for the primary reason that not much was/is known regarding their population size. Since the species is specifically cited in the regs as closed, under no circumstances should anyone construe my comments as a suggestion that you take some for eating!!!!

Most divers around here are ignorant of the species, and think that they are rare. That is simply because most divers do not dive in their habitat. PSKC live deep for most of the year, and their habitat is steep, rocky walls. Hence, you will find them in relative abundance on the walls of the San Juan Islands, but not at all in the sand and mud that makes up most of Puget Sound. Despite their almost extreme coloration they are easy to miss unless you are looking specifically for them and look right at them. I know a few experienced divers that "never" saw them until they were specifically pointed out to them....once they were, though, they saw them everywhere when they were IN THE RIGHT HABITAT.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

That's the post i was waiting for! Thanks John.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

We had this guy for dinner..
Attachments
C19C3071.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska