Typical.....

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Typical.....

Post by Fishstiq »

As I sit here wasting time, scanning the board for new posts, I come across John's post about Jimmy Buffet. I start trying to think of ways to "contribute" to the thread, but I can't for the life of me come up with any Buffet lyrics. Sonofagun, you gotta be kidding me! Why am I having this brain fart? Probably too many distractions.... lemme turn down the Marley and then I'll be able to think of some. Then it hits me...

Most people who know me solely through diving or look at any on-line profile of me probably wouldn't think I was a reggae fan. I don't "toke the reefer" as you kids say :rr: , I will NEVER be mistaken as Jamaican, and my personality is hardly "tropical". Still, I loves me some Bob Marley. I'm not a gambling man, but if I was, I'd bet most people would be suprised to learn that. It's not what a guy like me would typically listen to.

So my question is, what about you is not typical? What stereotype do you break? What is it about you that casual friends and on-line acquaintances would be suprised to learn? They say 90% of an iceberg is below the water's surface. What is the biggest chunk of your personality that most people never see?

Irie,

Joe
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: Typical.....

Post by Pez7378 »

You may not know this Joe, but one of the top ten ways to tell a Parrothead from the rest of the population is if they're not listening to JB, they're listening to Bob Marley.

Number 10 on Top Ten Signs You’re a Parrothead:

10. Your idea of a break from Buffett is putting
Bob Marley on the CD player!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Fishstiq wrote:So my question is, what about you is not typical? What stereotype do you break?
i come from a long line of nerdy jewish men who became accountants, lawyers, doctors, garment manufacturers, diamond merchants, etc. - all the stereotypes for jewish immigrants and their male children.

me? i was a hoodlum, as my granny used to say. i was always getting into trouble and just skirting the law. i managed to graduate high school with a B average on sheer brainpower alone, since i barely picked up a book, ever. i dropped out of college (the first time) after 3 semesters with a 1.0 average and lots of damaged baincells. i was as far from stereotypical as possible.

nowadays, i'm a lot different. i think today the least stereotypical thing about me is that i love hip hop.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Fishstiq wrote:What stereotype do you break? What is it about you that casual friends and on-line acquaintances would be suprised to learn? They say 90% of an iceberg is below the water's surface. What is the biggest chunk of your personality that most people never see?
Joe, this is an awesome thread idea! I can't wait to find out more about everybody.
Have you ever played two truths and a lie? That might be fun. Tell three things about yourself, one of which is a lie. We have to figure out which.

-Ben (saving my personal revelations for later)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

spatman wrote:
Fishstiq wrote:So my question is, what about you is not typical? What stereotype do you break?
i think today the least stereotypical thing about me is that i love hip hop.

you just became my second favorite jew, behind Sammy Davis Jr. I am actually only 4th :hello2: on my own list.

For the record my list goes....

1. Sammie Davis Jr.
2. Matt S.
3. Eric B.
4.Jake R.K. (I made my own list, thank god)
5. Max Weinberg (I love the E St band)
6.Sandy Koufax
7. Sarah Silverman (it is a crush)
8.David Lee Roth (I went from 4 years old to 14 during the 80's)
9. Susan R. (my aunt)
10. Brooke Burke

I too am a big hip hop guy. Matt, I have some stories for you.

As far as a surprise how about I used to own a pet store, or at one time I was the youngest person in the world to have a portocath, or at one time I had so many side effects during chemo that I was the subject of research because I even got side effects that were previously thought impossible to have simultaneously.

I karaoke "Total Eclipse of the Heart" better than anyone you know.

Eric B, just bumped the list back knocking Jerry Seinfeld off the list. I never knew you were a heeb my man, I had never seen a jew over 6 foot 2. That alone makes me proud to know you. Plus you send me the coolest damn links. I will see you tomorrow afternoon.

p.s. the yamakeh threat has this nudnik shvitzen.
Last edited by BigFameOne on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Oy vey ist mir.

Jake... For not naming me as one of your favorite heebs I'm going to aquaseal a yarmulke to your hood if we ever get to go diving together. And for the record cancer survivor is totally surprising.

I'm going to think a little bit before I post about what may be surprising or atypical about me... tough to say without seeming like I'm tooting my own horn (Yes Sounder I know that I'll go blind doing that).

Hey here's something surprising... Spatman and I both grew up about 30 miles away from each other in NY. Who knows we could be related back to some small town in eastern Europe? Which leads me to say that I think Spatman's hoodlumdom is fairly typical of (using the word nerdy here is redundant) Long Island Jews of our generation. I too had a total allergy to school and barely graduated high school. Only one year of college under my belt even. But that's a longer conversation about depression era parents breeding hippies that begat gen x'ers.

Who knew we jews could hijack even a super interesting thread such as this? Image
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

I don't have too many revelations. I keep getting told that I break the idea of an uptight accountant by my motorcycle riding, snowmobile riding and now scuba diving. Another thing would be my love of 80's music. Lets play name that tune and I might even seranade you with a little Agnetha, Bjorn, Benny and Anni (ABBA). :naka: I also roll down the road listening to the Bee Gees. If you see a biker on I-5, tapping his feet to what looks like the beat to 'Stayin' Alive' that would be me.

Joe...I thought it was Bob Marley bolting from UWS Sunday with another Marly with Ziggy right behind (albeit wearing a hat...Pez). :rr:
Sean
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hmmm... I'm not Jewish, but I did live in Israel for a year so can I go too?!

A few months after I graduated from college my wife and I loaded up two backpacks with all our earthly possessions, and with our 9 month old son in arms headed for Israel, spending a year in Israel - mainly in Haifa and Eilat with lots of time in the Galilee and Jerusalem. I only got 6 months of Ulpan in, but still understand enough Hebrew to be dangerous. We came back after my wife became pregnant with our second son, and to this day Joseph (that second son) is "mad" at us for not staying long enough for him to be born in Israel.

Another random factoid would be that I was born in Cuba and raised till I was about 14 in El Salvador and Mexico. I "forgot" how to speak English when I was 5, or at least the story goes that I wouldn't talk to my Grandma in English and made her cry. It's kind of weird sometimes - I'm as WASP looking as they come but have a Latin heart with a Hebrew twist - I love my rich and varied heritage but it sometimes feels like there aren't a whole lot of people who will really "get" you.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'm not Jewish either ... but my sister married a Jewish fellow, and I got invited to his daughter's bat mitzvah. The temple was very nice ... Jews know how to worship in comfort. But when I walked in some fellow offered me a yamulke and a bobbie pin. I looked at what he was offering ... pointed to my bare cranium ... and asked him if he had one with a suction cup on it ... #-o Better yet, did he have the model with the propeller ... [-X

They didn't toss me out ... so I figured they were cool ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I think the thing most people who know me, on line or in person, are surprised about is that I'm borderline agoraphobic, and absolutely terrified of strangers. Automatic gas pumps were a big step forward in my world, because I didn't have to talk to the gas station attendants. I loathe and fear the telephone, and will do almost ANYTHING to make Peter make all the phone calls. I rarely even call people I know well. Parties full of people I don't know give me the heebie-jeebies, and I really can't do them at all if I can't drink.

My mother lived many years in New York City, so I grew up with phrases like, "What do you think I am, chopped liver?" And a lot of guilt, so maybe I can be honorarily Jewish . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

LCF wrote:... And a lot of guilt, so maybe I can be honorarily Jewish . . .
Or Catholic.....
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

sorry, joe, i didn't intend for this thread to have a "i'm not as jewy/i'm kinda jewy" slant to it...

but i gotta ask:

how many jewish grandmothers does it take to change a lightbulb?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

spatman wrote:
How many?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Penopolypants wrote:
spatman wrote:
How many?
None. "That's OK, don't worry about me, I'll just sit here in the dark."
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

spatman wrote: how many jewish grandmothers does it take to change a lightbulb?
Yenta Spiro says: "None... it's ok.... I'll just sit in the dark... blind as a bat. Don't worry about me. I'm fine. I don't need to see anything anyways."

Well since Josh nailed (ha-ha) the joke before I could I might as well use this space to answer Joe's question...

What would be surprising, atypical or break a stereotype that most people don't know? This list was whittled down from a long one of self aggrandizing, totally obvious, or plain boastful things about me.

a) I build furniture for fun.
b) I was once a hardcore skate punk.
c) I meditate regularly and I'm a wanna-be Buddhist.
d) I use the word Yarrrr in my professional life on a regular basis.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

I'll play... I like this game.
I used to jump out of airplanes for money and I was one of the first women to be awarded Bolivian jump wings.
I put ketchup on my macaroni and cheese for a delicious (and completely gross) dinner
I have read almost every fantasy novel about dragons
At one point, I had memberships in both the NRA and the ACLU.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Kalatin wrote: I was one of the first women to be awarded Bolivian jump wings.
Now that is just TOO cool! My brother was born in Bolivia... and it's a pretty high altitude place. To "jump" out of anything you'd have to be a ways up there! =D>
Kalatin wrote:At one point, I had memberships in both the NRA and the ACLU.
You know, this just explains alot. Everything is becoming clearer... not sure exactly what, but you know... :salute:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Hmm...

Hard to make this list not-self-aggrandizing...

I lived in South Korea for a year, playing jazz in the Grand Hyatt in Seoul.
I didn't drink or smoke until I was 21.
I met President Clinton and talked saxophones with him.
The largest crowd I ever played in front of was 35,000 people. The very next day I played in front of 10 people.
I kicked a 5-year addiction to methamphetamine without rehab, counseling, or any number of steps. (Not actually recommended, fyi...) Diving was a big part of my recovery.

(That last one always knocks me down a few pegs...) :book: :occasion5:

Oh yes-I have no filter, and am prone to oversharing.... It's too much isn't it? I always share too much....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

scottsax wrote: (That last one always knocks me down a few pegs...)
Nah man, if anything you've got my respect. :salute:
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

What a great post Joe, very cool to read through.....

Also cool to see so many jews, and honorary jews :supz:

Scott, I agree with Laivandil, my brother went through that and I know it is not an easy path
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Fishstiq wrote:What is the biggest chunk of your personality that most people never see?
My Penis.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Pez7378 wrote:My Penis.
#-o

It was only a matter of time...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

Pez7378 wrote:
Fishstiq wrote:What is the biggest chunk of your personality that most people never see?
My Penis.
Clrearly then not EVERYONE is on your mailing list.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pez7378 wrote:
My Penis.
wow, way to send a halfway decent thread into a tailspin with just 2 small words.

#-o
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Pez7378 wrote:
My Penis.

Typical.....