FREE - Carbon Fiber 4500psi tanks

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

FREE - Carbon Fiber 4500psi tanks

Post by kdupreez »

I have 2 x 88cft carbon fiber tanks at 4500psi that I wanted to use for paintball storage tanks or paintball backpack.

These are the same tanks fire and rescue uses.. they are super light, but can only take AIR or other non-oxygen and non-flammable gas.

they are banded with a custom band and accepts 1/4" NPT connections for hoses, etc. and have burst disks.

Born in 2005 and I have used them only a handful of times up to 3500psi and I have NO idea on if they should be hydro'd or even what interval..

You can have them for FREE if you want them.. Else they are going to the dump next week.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: FREE - Carbon Fiber 4500psi tanks

Post by renoun »

kdupreez wrote: Born in 2005 and I have used them only a handful of times up to 3500psi and I have NO idea on if they should be hydro'd or even what interval..
I'm hardly an authoritative source but my recollection is that this type of tank wasn't hydro'ed, they just had a defined life span, possibly ten years. I'm sure some quick searching can confirm this.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Looks like a 3 year hydro and max life span of 15 years.. So you have 6 years left and 2 hydro cycles:

See DOT: DOT-SP 9634
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I could use them for my pressure test setup if there is a way to connect them to a reg
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

They would make sweet transfill banks for my rebreather sump diving friend in the uk who hikes many km both to get to site and in the sump/cave. I'll point him your direction.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Tanks are only DOT approved, so not legal in the UK as well as taking the wrong valves for the UK which is m25.

Importing m25 tanks/valves into this country or exporting 3/4" valve/tanks to Europe is bad juju. They are "interchangeable" but won't hold pressure at all and can easily kill the unwary when the valve separates from the tank like a bomb.

I know at least one person using O2 in carbon fiber tanks on a CCR though...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

It was just a random thought since he and i had been talking about carbon fiber tanks last night. It dawned on me that now that he's gone to CCR, there would be benefit to super light weight transfill cylinders from the carry-in standpoint. The reality of him actually getting them is slim to more like zero. Now you on the other hand... ;)
CaptnJack wrote:Tanks are only DOT approved, so not legal in the UK as well as taking the wrong valves for the UK which is m25.

Importing m25 tanks/valves into this country or exporting 3/4" valve/tanks to Europe is bad juju. They are "interchangeable" but won't hold pressure at all and can easily kill the unwary when the valve separates from the tank like a bomb.

I know at least one person using O2 in carbon fiber tanks on a CCR though...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I've seen people using these with O2...

http://store.addhelium.com/2-Liter-Carb ... p_659.html

But Koos' are too big for that.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I'll take them Koos, I can figure a way to make them work for my test bench
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I'm glad there going to a good home, I'd hate to see them in the dump!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Pending a meetup with Dusty, looks like they found a good home :) yaay!
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

You could add me as an alternate foster parent :)
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

They found a home and were all snuggly and happy leaving in Dusty's truck :D