Visiting Seattle at the end of August

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
kcmedic36
Getting To Know Folks

Visiting Seattle at the end of August

Post by kcmedic36 »

Hi all! I'm visiting the Seattle area towards the end of August, and have never been. Looking forward to it! I am considering doing a couple of dives and am looking on opinions of if I should drag my gear out there (I normally use a Scubapro Xtek and Everflex drysuit that's a little snug (I hate how things shrink...I normally wear a LavaCore as my insulation but am worried about the 45* water lol). Also am looking for a reliable shop and/or guide (rental of BC and drysuit). I plan on trying to shoot some video/stills and would love to add a GPO to my critter list! I also understand it will be crabbing season while I'm there--this could be fun as well! Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated!! :partyman: :pirate:
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Re: Visiting Seattle at the end of August

Post by Magoi »

Hi KC. Your gear sounds like it would be fine for here, assuming you have an undergarment to go with the drysuit. If in the Seattle area Underwater Sports on north Aurora would have everything you need to rent. Check out the dive planning forum for shore dives in the area. There are some regular dives on Wed evening and Thursdays that would welcome you. Otherwise post when you are going to be in town and available and I am sure someone would be willing to show you around.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
kcmedic36
Getting To Know Folks

Post by kcmedic36 »

Great, thanks! We'll be in Seattle Aug 24-30, so I should be able to get a couple of dives in :) Not sure of our itinerary yet for which days, but I see there is a full moon that weekend, so I would need to learn a bit about the tides of the area (we don't have to deal with that in the lakes and quarries of the Midwest lol) Are there any particular sites that would be more suitable for a beginner than others (my partner just got her OW last year and hasn't had any dives but lake dives yet)? I'm definitely on the hunt for a GPO!!
As for renting a dry suit, what do shops there normally rent out? I unfortunately had a terrible experience on Lake Michigan a couple of years ago with a worn out Bare suit :( so I get a little wary of renting some things....
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Your drysuit with a thicker undergarment is going to shrink even more!
kcmedic36
Getting To Know Folks

Post by kcmedic36 »

I know, right? haha That's why I'm considering renting one that isn't Euro cut...so my fat American girl legs can be warmer! :joshsmith:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

We will make sure to figure out your tides for you, no worries. Most divers here are well versed in tides and currents given our environment.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

kcmedic36 wrote:I know, right? haha That's why I'm considering renting one that isn't Euro cut...so my fat American girl legs can be warmer! :joshsmith:
Lol! Surface temps may be quite warm that time of year, but don't let that fool you, it's still damned cold underwater. And damned hot with all that gear on prior to getting in!

We tend to have some pretty large exchanges in the summer and that time is no exception, unfortunately. In the early part of your visit there are some decent slack times in the afternoon, so Edmonds Underwater Park might be a good option.

If you can travel a bit, Sund Rock is one of our best shore dives, not current sensitive, and you are pretty much guaranteed to see octos and wolf eels.

Cove 2 at Alki is pretty much always diveable, lots of life, but crowded.

Or you may consider doing a charter where the boat can pick you up if the current gets you out of sorts. Pacific Adventures on the Hood Canal or Banditos out of Tacoma are good choices.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
kcmedic36
Getting To Know Folks

Post by kcmedic36 »

oh, I know about hot in a drysuit! Did a DUI demo of the blue heat last year in August and about died before I got in the water...Talk about toasty!!

I will be able to travel some with the rental car but I think we have a lot to do planned for this trip! Is Cove 2 busy during the weekday? Vacation allows me to have flexible scheduling :taco:
Are there any wrecks in the area worth making a special trip for?

Thanks for the tip on Sund Rock...hadn't found that site yet!
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Sund is a bit of a trip, it's true, but the drive is lovely, or you can take a ferry for part of it, which is fun in and of itself. Plus there is a family of bald eagles that hang out near the shore, and sightings are very common.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
kcmedic36
Getting To Know Folks

Post by kcmedic36 »

Well, Sund might just fit in perfectly, we were planning a trip to the Hoh Forrest! Looks like a perfect stop along the way :)
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

The best wrecks in the area are up in Canada. Artificial reefs, actually. The ones in Lake Washington are actual wrecks, but Lk Washington is very dark and silty, not to mention very deep in most places.
yadayada
Aquaphile

Post by yadayada »

kcmedic36 wrote:oh, I know about hot in a drysuit! Did a DUI demo of the blue heat last year in August and about died before I got in the water...Talk about toasty!!

I will be able to travel some with the rental car but I think we have a lot to do planned for this trip! Is Cove 2 busy during the weekday? Vacation allows me to have flexible scheduling :taco:
Are there any wrecks in the area worth making a special trip for?

Thanks for the tip on Sund Rock...hadn't found that site yet!
If you are are interested, we have several DUI available for rent - including Blue Heat test units :-)
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Just checking in to make sure that you found what you needed here to be ready to go. I am around that week and would love to dive with you if you want to a local buddy. I have some spare gear I am willing to loan too.

Let us know how we can be of support to you while you're in our area!

Sarina