Eustation Tube Dysfunction- Anyone???

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
clongdon
Frequent Bubbler

Eustation Tube Dysfunction- Anyone???

Post by clongdon »

I have been going to the Doctors and an ENT and have been told I have Eustation Tube Dysfunction, possibly related to diving, possibly related to 100,000 other things as well.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever had this problem or knows anything about it? I haven't been diving for a while now and I'm starting to get discouraged, wondering if this will ever go away. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Christy
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: Eustation Tube Dysfunction- Anyone???

Post by scottsax »

Christy, that sucks! I'm so sorry...

Try these to start:

http://homepage.mac.com/changcy/etd.htm
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medic ... ticleid=30
https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/memb ... icleID=214
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medic ... x?faqid=19

It looks like steroids are the treatment of choice, and that surgery isn't typically necessary, or particularly effective....

Non-invasive is good.

Good luck!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

That is a very good bunch of links you have been given. Go through them. Get to know the anatomy and the physics.
In addition I suggest you spend an hour on this one:

Streaming Video in AVI and Flash Formats.
"The Diver's Ear - Under Pressure"
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/Divers_Ear.avi

If you think you need another physician option the person to see is Dr. Ed Kay:
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/

After watching the video can you clear ABOVE water?
If not, you can't clear underwater and need to figure out why not and get it fixed if possible.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
clongdon
Frequent Bubbler

Post by clongdon »

Thanks for the information! I had another friend that sent me the video link to Dr. Kay too, as a matter of fact I will be seeing him tomorrow. I will certainly learn as much as I can because I want this to go away. I have read a lot of sad stories about this going on for years with other people. :eek:
I will check out the links and again Thank You!
Christy
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Checked your profile, almost 50 dives.
When did this appear?
Sudden onset associated with an event/illness?
I know you are going over this with Ed but I'm curious and learn from these kind of problems.

Say Hi from Fritz. Tell him we miss him at the dives and meetings (tomorrow-hint, hint). He needs to work less....

Fritz
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
clongdon
Frequent Bubbler

Post by clongdon »

Fritz, I will tell him Hi for you.

Here is my history with this pain in my uh... ear.
My first notice of any problems was on a dive in April of this year. I did two dives my first with no problems, but my second I had a dizzy spell after we got down to around 50 ft. I didn't feel any pressure and I felt like I was clearing fine before it happened.
I had a couple dizzy spells while driving so I waited until I felt good again to dive.

I didn't dive for about a month after that, then did two more dives with no problems.

I went on a vacation and while away I ran out of my allergy medicine, when I got back I was a mess! I went to the Dr. and she checked my ears at that time and said there was fluid behind my membrane, but no damage. I started taking my regular allergy spray and Claratin hoping to dry it up. (suggested by the Doctor)

The next check up a week or so later showed the same results so she suggested an ENT. The ENT checked me out (about a month ago) and said at that time he wasn't seeing anything too crazy and I should be able to dive again soon. After talking to his nurse today I found out he had put in the charts it was this Eustation Tube Dysfunction. I called DAN to talk to them about it and it was suggested I not dive for probably a month after I was free of symptoms.

I went to my chiropractor (last month) and asked about the dizzyness and tightness in my neck to see if she thought it could be related, she said sure it could be. I went to her several times and some of the worst neck pain went away, but it feels like it is more in the front side of my neck now.

I went back to a different Doctor last Friday because the pressure was there again and my neck is really tight and sore. He also said it was Eustation Dysfunction and there wasn't much that could be done about it, but we could try steroids.
I wanted to think on that because he said there could be other side effects. So now I'm taking Veramyst and Claratin for my allergies, and ibuprofen for the pain in my neck.

I'm wondering if maybe my neck being so tight is possibly causing the ear problems or maybe the other way around?! I did fall down my steps last fall and hurt myself pretty good, so I'm wondering if maybe that is a contributing factor? I don't know?

That is the history as I know it. Sorry if it got too confusing to follow, I am a bit dizzy right now. :breakdance:

Take Care!
Christy
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

:breakdance: <- Well there's your problem. That will make you dizzy, and make your neck sore.

Sounds like a crappy set of symptoms. I did something similar about 2 years ago. Was out of the water for 3-4 months. I don't have allergies, so I just took decongestants to keep everything drained. I think (unfortunately) with a lot of ear stuff the only really dependable cure is time. Good luck.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
clongdon
Frequent Bubbler

Post by clongdon »

I'm cleared to dive!! :clap: \:D/ :roll:
He thinks that maybe during my dive in April I got an "ear squeeze" that caused the fluid in the ear. There could have been a slight difference of pressure between the two ears that caused the dizziness (one ear cleared more than the other).

My ears are looking and working fine, and the Eustation tubes are doing their jobs. He said just to make sure during dives I keep a constant pressure on the inside of my eardrums while descending. Never wait until you feel pressure! I have always tried to make sure I'm clearing "early and often" I'm now going to the method of keeping it clear all the time.
From now on I'm going to be an equalizing fool!

As for my neck that is a completely different ball game and probably needs lots of beer to help it. :mmmbeer:
Back to the Chiropractor.

I'm going to try a dive hopefully this weekend and he told me to call him when I'm done. He seemed pretty confident that I am going to be just fine. No Eustation Tube Dysfunction. I think that is a general term for- Yes, there's something going on we just don't know what it is.
I'm glad I went today and I feel much better actually seeing it for myself that there is nothing visually wrong.

Take Care!
Christy
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Very glad for your good news. :highfive:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
clongdon
Frequent Bubbler

Post by clongdon »

I'm going to go diving tomorrow! I'm going to bring a new meaning to airhead! Wish me luck. Thanks for all the information and support! :thumbsup:

Christy
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I suggest a shore dive with a gradual slope. Start in chest deep water. If you haven't cleared 2-3x by the time you trim out level at that depth you are already behind.
Proceed gradually down slope with absolute attention to the ears and any pressure. Clear ahead of ANY discomfort and at the merest HINT of pressure. If you get stuck, back up and go shallower until you are fine again before proceeding.

A stiff neck that creates muscle tightness and tension on the muscles that surround the E-tubes could compromise clearing.
For easiest best clearing--look UP (not down), chin thrust slightly OUT, with the more 'problem' ear (one is generally a bit harder) turned UP.

Practice that before diving.

Get some papaya enzyme (digestive enzyme). Seattle Supplements has it. Cheap, tasty. Suck a couple pills on the way to the dive site and a couple more while suiting up. Provides a safe, harmless low grade anti-inflammatory effect in the back of the throat where the E-tubes are.

Veramyst is fluticasone nasal steroid. Great drug, does NOT work fast. For quick results (and limited use try Afrin).
Claritin is a non-sedating, somewhat effective antihistamine. You might get better results from Zyrtec or you might have worse side effects. Worth a non-diving trial.

FWIW-Here's one person's personal review:
Zyrtec Vs. Claritin a Review on These Popular Antihistamines
http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... these.html

Report back please.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
clongdon
Frequent Bubbler

Post by clongdon »

My dive went good no problems with the ears! We did a shore dive and I kept clear all the way down, no problems. I took some photos with my new underwater housing, and got to see a juvenile eel. (my first) Tons of fish, more than I had ever seen at Mukilteo. I feel good today too.
I had my sister who is an OTA come over and she gave me a neck rub and showed me some stretching exercises to do. I had a big knot under my ear and several along my jaw. Once we were able to get that to relax I felt completely different, no pain in my ears at all.
I do use Veramyst, have for a couple of years now and it works very well for me, I just recently started using Claritin with it per the Doctor. I'm hoping to stop that soon, I'm not big on taking meds.

I have never heard of the papaya enzyme, but it would be worth a shot.

Thanks for the information! :thumb3d:
Take Care,
Christy
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Papaya is a tip I got from here:
http://www.ent-consult.com/faq.html#enzymes
Worth browsing around.

He's a strong proponent of nasal irrigation, water jet pulsation style preferred. Never tried that but I use a neilmed squeeze bottle frequently. http://www.neilmed.com/usa/index.php
A little gross but pretty damn useful.

Glad your dive went well.
Welcome back to the diving world.
Aren't those J. wolf eels just TOO cute.

Fritz
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.