Please help ID these guys

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
morayeel
Just Settling In

Please help ID these guys

Post by morayeel »

I encountered two mysterious guys last weekend. I looked up all books I have, but still could not identify them.

The one is a crab. The site was West Seattle Reef and it was at 45 ft deep. The carapace seemed smoother and rounder than sharpnose crab. The size of its carapace was about 2".
unidentified crab
unidentified crab

The other one looks like tunicate to me because of two holes on the top, but could be something else. It was round and flat, but has texture like armored sea cucumber. I saw many of them on the new artificial reef at Salt Water State Park. It was about 55 feet deep. The diameter is about 1".
tunicate? sponge? sea cucumber?
tunicate? sponge? sea cucumber?
unidentified_DSCF2061.jpg (234.83 KiB) Viewed 816 times
sungurl
Aquaphile

Re: Please help ID these guys

Post by sungurl »

Wish I could help you, sorry.....awesome pics tho.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I'll leave the crab to our resident expert but the second guy is a Transparent disk top tunicate
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

It's a female sharpnose crab. Females have a smoother and more rounded carapace than males.
morayeel
Just Settling In

Post by morayeel »

That is a sharpnose crab! Some how I have been overlooking female. Glad to know the difference.

Transparent disc top tunicate is very cool looking. I found another two of those in my other photo. I've probably been seeing them, but again overlooked them since they are tiny, flat and transparent!

Than you so much, and I am sure I will see them more from now on.
Attachments
I was taking picture of a baby sea urchin at China Wall, and here they were, the tunicates. (My camera fogged up then...)
I was taking picture of a baby sea urchin at China Wall, and here they were, the tunicates. (My camera fogged up then...)