New Structure at EUP: Crab Trap Problem

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Sea Goat
Frequent Bubbler

New Structure at EUP: Crab Trap Problem

Post by Sea Goat »

So there's a new structure at EUP just past the Triumph that has nice big holes in the top. I was there today and there were crabs in the bottom of the structure that obviously can't get out; the whole thing is like a giant crab trap. Any ideas on whether holes could be cut down low in the sides to let the critters out, or other possible solutions? I felt badly for them! I mean, I love to eat crabs, but as my dive buddy said afterward I would hate to fall into a giant bucket and be left there to starve to death.

Ideas? What organization responsible for managing the structures in EUP?

Margaret
NWUE Founding Member
GUE Seattle
http://www.GUE-Seattle.org
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Re: New Structure at EUP: Crab Trap Problem

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I remember seeing large holes in the bottom of some of the openings, but I didn't check all of them.. I overheard Bruce Higgins say he wanted to drill some holes in the top to let the trapped air out. Maybe at the same time he can drill some holes for the crabs.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sea Goat wrote:What organization responsible for managing the structures in EUP?
Bruce Higgins, the man the park was renamed after. You'll find him there every weekend driving a small red pickup. He has a dedicated parking space on the end lot towards the showers on the railroad side. Generally diving a wetsuit and double 72s with a single outlet manifold. I'm sure he would appreciate help managing the park's features on an on-going basis, at least in the past volunteers have gotten free air down the street at Underwater Sports.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... it=pontoon

in this thread they mention drilling holes for non-swimmy creatures to escape
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ljjames wrote:http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... it=pontoon

that's good. i wouldn't want Sounder to get trapped in there.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

that's low...... :rofl:
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

spatman wrote:
ljjames wrote:http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... it=pontoon

that's good. i wouldn't want Sounder to get trapped in there.
:laugh:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Sea Goat
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sea Goat »

Thanks, everyone!

I'll go to Edmonds Underwater Sports this weekend and get the scoop and maybe I'll get the opportunity to drill holes underwater, fun! And I'll dive the pontoon again and bring a bag and rescue the refugees. Anyone else who goes in there, if you see crabs and you don't see any way for them to get out, consider saving their little decapod crustacean lives.

Maybe we could experiment with small controlled explosives and blow holes in the bottom of this thing. :extinguishflame:

Margaret
NWUE Founding Member
GUE Seattle
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

They meet every Saturday at 9:00am at the LDS. If you are volunteering help they WILL fill your tanks for free. I sincerely hope the get some crab escape holes going.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Thier is a group of us that are going out and pulling the crabs out of the chambers that do not have holes in the bottom. At this time that is most of them unfortunalty. They are working to get that resolved but it is going to take time. So if you see a crab grab em and let them go out side if they are in a chamber that does not have a whole in the bottom.

Bruce also wants to get holes in the top to bleed out the air. It is just a matter of time before some moron trys to be cool and breath it not knoing it is probably mostly CO2 and goes lights out.

They are out thier every Sat and Sun and can use the help. 9am at EUWS shop or just wait in the parking lot. I know a few are working during the weekdays also chipping away at it.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Maybe a sign in the little air pocket that reads 98% Carbon Dioxide....DO NOT BREATH
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

How was viz Yesterday Sea Goat?
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

You anti-Darwinites are watering down the gene pool with all your venting of the air and warning labels and whatnot. You are making us weak! :evil4:

ps - Here's an idea: Just drape some 3" or larger mooring line into each of the large chambers and the crabs will climb out. That should be much cheaper/easier than blasting/drilling holes in reinforced concrete. KISS.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Gooch wrote:that's low...... :rofl:
That's friendship. :penelope:

In all seriousness though, Spatman's pretty good at getting rid of crabs... poor guy never learns. :wedgie:

(here come the "mama/sister/girlfriend/wife/etc" jokes...)
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:

In all seriousness though, Spatman's pretty good at getting rid of crabs... poor guy never learns. :wedgie:
yeah, i really need to stop borrowing your drysuit undergarments. i keep forgetting about that.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
Sounder wrote:

yeah, i really need to stop borrowing your drysuit undergarments. i keep forgetting about that.
Come on... you can do better than that. :penelope:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
mkmc
Avid Diver

Post by mkmc »

Hi,

I can say a little on the subject as I work with Bruce and the crew regularly. We knew of the crab trap problem long before it was sunk. A volunteer bought a pneumatic jackhammer and we tested it out of the water on some reinforced concrete and it works pretty darn good. It will take a few dives and many tanks of air to get all the holes made, and there are two chambers with holes that were made when the pontoon hit the bottom. The problem is that once the jackhammer gets in salt water you have to break it down and oil the parts so it doesn't corrode. So we are waiting for a good weekend to get it done, and minimize the time between submersion. We considered the line idea airsix, but we went through all the trouble to make the openings nice and hazard free, putting a line in the way seems counteractive to our safety goals. And we also feel as if there is a more pressing issue, namely having the pontoon sink into the sand and loosing all of that great habitat under it, which I think he have accomplished in two months. Next time your out there take a look at all those concrete pieces placed under the pontoon, pure manpower did that, with the help of many 500 lb lift drums.

One other thing I'd like to say, and I'm not picking on Sea Goat. But while working we have been approached many times by people saying "do this, do that." The EUWP is a volunteer effort. Other people can help. I've been helping for a few years and sadly the faces I see are too familiar. We need some new creative blood. It is a lot of fun as well, being able to dive and to build. Not just structures for divers but for life. It is very rewarding to see something that you have help to create being used by sea life after a couple weeks or months, especially a fish nest. I extend the invitation to anyone that is interested to meet at the Edmonds Underwater Sports at 9:00 am on Saturdays and Sundays to pitch in.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

mkmc wrote:Hi,

I can say a little on the subject as I work with Bruce and the crew regularly. We knew of the crab trap problem long before it was sunk. A volunteer bought a pneumatic jackhammer and we tested it out of the water on some reinforced concrete and it works pretty darn good. It will take a few dives and many tanks of air to get all the holes made, and there are two chambers with holes that were made when the pontoon hit the bottom. The problem is that once the jackhammer gets in salt water you have to break it down and oil the parts so it doesn't corrode. So we are waiting for a good weekend to get it done, and minimize the time between submersion. We considered the line idea airsix, but we went through all the trouble to make the openings nice and hazard free, putting a line in the way seems counteractive to our safety goals. And we also feel as if there is a more pressing issue, namely having the pontoon sink into the sand and loosing all of that great habitat under it, which I think he have accomplished in two months. Next time your out there take a look at all those concrete pieces placed under the pontoon, pure manpower did that, with the help of many 500 lb lift drums.

One other thing I'd like to say, and I'm not picking on Sea Goat. But while working we have been approached many times by people saying "do this, do that." The EUWP is a volunteer effort. Other people can help. I've been helping for a few years and sadly the faces I see are too familiar. We need some new creative blood. It is a lot of fun as well, being able to dive and to build. Not just structures for divers but for life. It is very rewarding to see something that you have help to create being used by sea life after a couple weeks or months, especially a fish nest. I extend the invitation to anyone that is interested to meet at the Edmonds Underwater Sports at 9:00 am on Saturdays and Sundays to pitch in.

Let me know when you guys are ready to do that I have the manifold that is for the 12,000lb bag we used for the piling lift. I am heading out to unburied them again next week and am going to put some lines on them so we don't lose them before they get moved.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Sea Goat
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sea Goat »

MKMC, I've followed up on this with some friends with resources, can you tell me what kind or size of compressor would be needed to run that underwater jackhammer? I might be able to source one for the project, along with a boat and the necessary hoses. Might be easier than running it on tanks.

If there are any other projects at the Park that would benefit from the use of a compressor or boat, let me know that too or I'll talk with Bruce about it and see whether we can do a couple of projects at the same time.

The visibility, by the way, was 10 feet. The only way I recognized the pontoon from the line was the change of color between the top of the structure and the surface, and I was only approx. 15 feet away.

Still a lovely dive, though.
NWUE Founding Member
GUE Seattle
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I dove it last week and yes there are plenty of crab trapped in the pontoon. I guess Sheahan was able to get one up top only for a moment before the crab ran to the edge and again dropped in the hole.
I guess the biggest crab will be ok down there?
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

A compressor is the only good way to run a pnumatic hammer but I'm sure you could get a gas powered one in a boat or barge.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

Small air driven tools are OK. But, for the proper cutting of big objects...My experience has been to use hydraulic (AKA: power-pac) driven tools. Cutting with hydraulic tools is much more powerful and doesn't have the annoying problem of exhaust bubbles getting in the way of seeing what the heck it is that one is cutting.
If'n that don't "cut it", then we go to burning lances and broco cutting torches specifically designed for cutting thru reinforced concrete structure.

Of course, there is always my personal favorite: Shaped cutting charges. Ah...the good 'ol days.
Randy Williams

"Man who say it cannot be done should not bother man who is doing it."