Deep CCR dives - split from "I rebreathed"

General topics about technical diving.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Deep CCR dives - split from "I rebreathed"

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:Gotcha. No I don't really have a need for a $5K recreational CCR. It is cute though and I like that its available in any color you want. :joshsmith: If you know someone doing a demo day with RB80 clones like the Czech "trespresidentes" that might be fun. Although by the time I need such a thing I have long since thumbed the dive and gone for pizza & beer.
Did someone say pizza?! :boucegreen:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

CaptnJack wrote:Gotcha. No I don't really have a need for a $5K recreational CCR. It is cute though and I like that its available in any color you want. :joshsmith: If you know someone doing a demo day with RB80 clones like the Czech "trespresidentes" that might be fun. Although by the time I need such a thing I have long since thumbed the dive and gone for pizza & beer.
I'll let you spearhead the PSCR demo day :)

This would hopefully be both of the new ISC units. Pathfinder and predator.

Pathfinder is a ~200' unit.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Laura, I'd be totally fine with a fee or a contribution. I understand there are consumables to consider.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ljjames wrote:I'll let you spearhead the PSCR demo day :)
I have no idea where I'd even start, are there any local instructors or even users?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Just got on this thread today, and that thing is just adorable. I'd be interested in taking a look at it.

D(B)
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

CaptnJack wrote:
I have no idea where I'd even start, are there any local instructors or even users?

Maybe you could get Steve White to do a workshop... He's an RB80 user. if'n you are just wanting to go through the guts of one and not necessarily dive it. As i understand it, Dathan also has a fair bit of experience with the PSCR-BSAC unit. A precursory glance at the UTD site shows some instructors with extensive RB80 experience, maybe next time AG is in town (wasn't he around this last week?) he'd do a sCCR Q & A session. Another option, and this is a bit of a long shot, I know that Bob Sherwood has extensive experience with the PSCR type rebreather, perhaps when he's in town for the upcoming tech 2 class in February he'd be interested in talking to you about it.
----
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ljjames wrote:If its up to me it will be free. Depending on what we do and where we have it there may be an incurred cost for the pool, so I might ask for donations to the cause if there is no fee so I don't get stuck with the pool cost (its kinda rude of me to invite them up and then say "oh ya, here's the bill for the pool" ;)
Joshua Smith wrote:
ljjames wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:I'm in, too- they look like nifty lil' units.
Cool!

Josh, where would you like me to post about this? I emailed Jerry and Leon and will post more, but think it would be cool if we had it in a public/recreational accessible forum as opposed to the opt in stuff...

Is it free? If so, go ahead and post it wherever. If there's a fee, let me know in advance, and we'll post it as an ad.

Let me know how it develops- as far as publicizing it on the board, just PM me with the details, and we'll work something out. It ain't fair that Leon did try dives up in Canadia before he did them here. Tell him that we're questioning his patriotism. (OK, wait- maybe don't try that angle). Anyway, I'd be super-stoked to help out, if I can- and I have a big green van that can move a lot of stuff between Centralia and here, if that would be usefull.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

well, I think Nanaimo just scooped us on that one :) They scooped EVERYONE! It was kinda amusing to watch that play out on the RBW. They (along with some help from Ron) just set the whole thing up and said "lets rock!" :)

BLAME CANADA!!!!!!!!!!
----
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

*sigh*. Canada trumps us yet again. Have I told you about my master plan? We trade Point Roberts off to Canada in exchange for Vancouver Island. Our 52nd state.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Joshua Smith wrote:Have I told you about my master plan? We trade Point Roberts off to Canada in exchange for Vancouver Island. Our 52nd state.
Ooooo.... I like, I like! :boucegreen:

When do we invade?! :smt027
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Tom Nic wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Have I told you about my master plan? We trade Point Roberts off to Canada in exchange for Vancouver Island. Our 52nd state.

First, we "negotiate." Then, we send in "advisers." Then, we deploy "facilitators" in order to win the hearts and minds of the indigenous populace.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ljjames wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Maybe you could get Steve White to do a workshop... He's an RB80 user. if'n you are just wanting to go through the guts of one and not necessarily dive it. As i understand it, Dathan also has a fair bit of experience with the PSCR-BSAC unit. A precursory glance at the UTD site shows some instructors with extensive RB80 experience, maybe next time AG is in town (wasn't he around this last week?) he'd do a sCCR Q & A session. Another option, and this is a bit of a long shot, I know that Bob Sherwood has extensive experience with the PSCR type rebreather, perhaps when he's in town for the upcoming tech 2 class in February he'd be interested in talking to you about it.
I kinda wanna dive just to see if the WOB is a gawd awful as its purported to be. Beyond that I have heard of more people who have given up on the hassles than those who still dive them, so actually buying one is not really anything I'm interested in. (not the Fridge units, the actual rb80/clones).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
ljjames wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

I kinda wanna dive just to see if the WOB is a gawd awful as its purported to be. Beyond that I have heard of more people who have given up on the hassles than those who still dive them, so actually buying one is not really anything I'm interested in. (not the Fridge units, the actual rb80/clones).

Ahh, get over your prejudices. CCR is the future, baby! :breakdance:

I will admit to having a few drinks before writing this post. Feel free to ignore.

But if you're diving deeper than 200' on OC, I Gotta ask:

Do you hear that "jeapordy" theme song playing during your BT? You know-
Dah dah DAH dah, Dah dah DAH DAH, DAH dah dah, DAH dah dah dah dah dah?"

I don't. I'm too busy making sure the gas in my loop is breathable. And so forth.

loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
ljjames wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

I will admit to having a few drinks before writing this post. Feel free to ignore.

I don't. I'm too busy making sure the gas in my loop is breathable. And so forth.
And looking around enjoying yourself and not worring about the air clock just looking at the time to surface and wonding how that beer is going to taste and if I should head up yet or stay for anouther 5 min or so. :angelblue:
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
ljjames wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Good thing you got all that deep air experience before you used any helium to help you ride that computer ppO2 readout eh :neener:
scubagrunt
Avid Diver

Post by scubagrunt »

hey guys, laura if you do the demo when i am in town and you need an "instructor" to make it official i can help. send me an email. i will have to talk to ISC HQ first to get upgraded to the new units.
scubagrunt@hotmail.com
mel
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

thanks so much for the offer Mel, i was just gonna hit Leon up to do this since he and i have been chatting about it for a few months anyway :)
----
scubagrunt
Avid Diver

Post by scubagrunt »

ljjames wrote:thanks so much for the offer Mel, i was just gonna hit Leon up to do this since he and i have been chatting about it for a few months anyway :)
no worries i thought i would offer to help if needed.
mel
PS HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!!
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:

First, we "negotiate." Then, we send in "advisers." Then, we deploy "facilitators" in order to win the hearts and minds of the indigenous populace.
The Sovereign Nation of Scubania! We already have an official flag.