Some WSA mooring buoys being installed TODAY

General banter about diving and why we love it.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Re: Some WSA mooring buoys being installed TODAY

Post by nwscubamom »

Today the buoy at (east) Flagpole (aka The Knuckle) went in. I have mixed feelings about this one. On one hand I'm elated that there will be a marker there (I've dove it both by shore and by boat several times and MISSED it) so the mooring buoy will be a great way to get people onto the site accurately. The buoy will also make it diveable more often - sometimes currents and wind are such that it's tough to get there.

ON THE FLIP side - it's a very special site - with beautiful aggregations of Cloud Sponge - which, as you know, is extremely delicate and slow growing - a careless kick of a fin, or wave of a hand could destroy what has taken years to form.

So....yay I hope! Hopefully those diving it (it's an advanced dive in the first place and no place for noobs) will respect the delicate nature of this site.

So that's three in:
- Pinnacle
- Sunrise
- Flagpole (aka Knuckle)

Word is that the Sunrise buoy is placed at the south end of the reef, about 15 feet from the wall itself. Should be super easy to find the reef this way!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Oh, I almost forgot: I found out that the buoys are meant for DAY use only, and meant to hold up to around a 60+foot boat in a good bit of chop.
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

It's late for me so I apologize for any spelling errors in advance.
nwscubamom wrote:Today the buoy at (east) Flagpole (aka The Knuckle) went in. I have mixed feelings about this one. On one hand I'm elated that there will be a marker there (I've dove it both by shore and by boat several times and MISSED it) so the mooring buoy will be a great way to get people onto the site accurately. The buoy will also make it diveable more often - sometimes currents and wind are such that it's tough to get there.

ON THE FLIP side - it's a very special site - with beautiful aggregations of Cloud Sponge - which, as you know, is extremely delicate and slow growing - a careless kick of a fin, or wave of a hand could destroy what has taken years to form.

So....yay I hope! Hopefully those diving it (it's an advanced dive in the first place and no place for noobs) will respect the delicate nature of this site.

I am with ya on this one, mixed feelings that is. This can't be said enough and you will hear it and continue to hear it from anyone who has dove the site; "Please pay attention to your buoyancy especially around the Cloud Sponge". :stick:

That said, the buoy is in and set in approximately 60ft of water at the low so I would expect 65 to 70 at an extreme high. It's on the eastern end of the knuckle just before the deep drop off. This will allow divers to explore the deep part of the structure then either ascend back up the buoy or to extend the dive, navigate on a compass heading of 300 degrees magnetic which will take you to the shallowest part of the sturcture and if you continue on that heading to the shallow reef (across the mud flats) in approximately 35ft of water.

Sorry Janna but Don :rawlings: forgot to take the nome so I took a shot of him on the boat after we were done. There's a story here so don't forget to ask next time you talk to him.
PICT0141.JPG
The buoy still high and dry. The sponser names are engraved on the red plackards. I forget who the sponser of this one is so whoever you are Thank You! =D>
PICT0104.JPG
Don totally out of his element, riding in someone elses boat.
PICT0102.JPG
Jim working on the buoy anchor. You would think the sound would have scared the critters but as I looked around while it was happening, they just kept on doing whatever they were doing.
PICT0120.JPG
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueLLLPZYLVs[/youtube]

What's this? Down Time arrives on scene. There's another story here, you will have to ask Don.
PICT0132.JPG

Thanks Don for the fun day! :occasion5:

-Mark
Last edited by PeninsulaDiver on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

Wow, great job Mark! Many thanks for your help today. That picture of me though.........makes me feel old just looking at it. It was a fun day, I got to dive (a little), my Son Mike got to help, at the end of the day the work was done and we all had fun. What more can you ask for? ..............note to self....keep extra food on boat for unexpected trips.
:smt038 :smt038 :breakdance: :smt038 :smt038
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

don wrote:... It was a fun day, I got to dive (a little), my Son Mike got to help...
Oh yea how could I forget about our hero, Mr. Mike Coleman! :joshsmith:
Mike Coleman
Mike Coleman
I also just fixed the Youtube video so refresh and have another look.

-Mark
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

priceless, but you probably had to be there..Thanks Mark!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

This is GREAT stuff!!! So let me guess - you ran out of food and Mike had to come down and rescue you with supplies?

And Don - what's that you were wearing? Was that undergarments and an actual DRY SUIT??? Wow....

Thanks for helping place it, and thanks for getting this all set up. So question - if it's placed in the deep section, can you clearly see the top of the Knuckle from where it's located or not?

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

nwscubamom wrote:. So question - if it's placed in the deep section, can you clearly see the top of the Knuckle from where it's located or not?
- Janna
Disclaimer: I am not an artist, don't play one on TV and have no desires to become one.
This is obviously not to scale but provides a general idea of the Flagpole buoy placement. The image is from the North looking South.
img001.jpg
-Mark
Last edited by PeninsulaDiver on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

So it's on the knuckle itself then? If so, Sweet makes it easier to find.
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

That's affirm. Sketch above revised.

-Mark
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Is there a Buoy for Day Island Wall? :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I don't see that location on the proposed mooring buoy map, so I guess not?

Remember, although there are like 20 something buoys on the proposal, only FIVE of them have been funded. There is no other funding available right now - we even hired a grant writer to pursue funding options, and there's just nothing out there right now.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Any word if the possession point ferry buoy is in yet?
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Word is that it could be up to the end of March before that particular one is in.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

That is way cool, I look foreward to using them. Thank you WSA!
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Jaksonbrown wrote:Any word if the possession point ferry buoy is in yet?

any updates yet??
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Not that I've heard. I'll send an email to Jim Trask to see what the scoop is.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>