The Amazing Sitka Adventure

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: The Amazing Sitka Adventure

Post by Norris »

Heres a few of my pics.
Attachments
Sitka_March_21 101.JPG
???
???
Red Irish lord
Red Irish lord
China Rockfish
China Rockfish
The viz
The viz
The view
The view
The ride out
The ride out
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Great! They have Puget sound king crabs in Sitka but not in Puget sound. :angry: :angry:

Nice shots norris. I'm a little green (envy) right now. :lalala: :lalala:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Diving is all done for this trip, we will spend tomorrow, checking out the town of Sitka and the Main street of stores.
Sitka has a strong Russian influence. We will also get to see more of Top side. Maybe even get to see the, opening of the Herring netting. I'm tired and have enough trouble with using a lap top, so with a great trip came some great dives and some fantastic food.
Tonight we ate Spot Prawns, some small srimp (pan fried) and beer battered Halibut chunks!

I'm full!

Good Night!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

*burp
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Video time. The viz was just spectacular and soooo much to see. Yes you will see that H20 was pushed into the water by Dave and I have to say it was some great footage of such, heh. This was on Sunday and the weather was about 60 on the water and we did two tanks at Mcnaughty rock

Disclaimer:
I do not claim to be a video maker of any type. This is my second video and the only other one was the pontoon at Edmonds with April. Some photos are at the end of the video. I await Chris's video..which should have some good stuff in it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWLduGAdeuM[/youtube]
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Great job Norris, I love how you put the photos at each end so we could see the critters as well as all those ugly mugs divin. :neener:
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Very cool!!! Looks like a grand time was had by all... Liked the stills too

Alexi :clap:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

All you can say about AL is it is beautiful up their.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

loanwolf wrote:All you can say about AL is it is beautiful up their.
Hmmmm....I thought they went to Alaska, not Alabama.... :smt064
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

and what of theirs are you looking up?
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

well , i have to get the rest of my video files off of Norris laptop to complete 2 of our dive Movies... I will get those and get this thing up and running.. To those of you who havent gone on a dive trip, its exhausting unpacking , and then trying to sort through pictures and putting them into the correct folders for what dive... AND then seperating pics , and putting picks into the right folders... Then looking at pics , and deciding which one make the Cut for video and which ones suck and Look like crap...
Here is my best China Pic
china Rock.jpg
I am going to combine all 3 dives at Mcnaughty into 1 video....
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great pics guys...

Enjoyed the vid Norris... I love how you captured the surge.

Looking forward to more detailed reports... in person and on the board.

Chris - I can relate to the post dive trip exhaustion. Take your time... just don't forget! :rawlings:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

John Rawlings wrote:
loanwolf wrote:All you can say about AL is it is beautiful up their.
Hmmmm....I thought they went to Alaska, not Alabama.... :smt064
You are right on that one John wrong abrevation. too many beers at the moment, corection AK!!!!:)
Greg
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I have some really Killer surge video ... and some really funny surge video of Keith.. , I would say Surge is one of my most favorite things , being pushed and then pulled back and forth ...
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

H20doctor wrote:I have some really Killer surge video ... and some really funny surge video of Keith.. , I would say Surge is one of my most favorite things , being pushed and then pulled back and forth ...
I want to see vid of pulling the anchor!!!!
Greg
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

some video screen shots ...
king crab.jpg
PDVD_000.JPG
PDVD_001.JPG
PDVD_001.JPG (8.32 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
PDVD_002.JPG
PDVD_003.JPG
PDVD_003.JPG (11.17 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
PDVD_004.JPG
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

we were working for dave on that Job .... Pulling the 750 pound anchor .. and dave has No patience for divers when we were working, So the camera was Topside because it was a Time issue dive, find it , get it, then get the hell out of the water for the Vessel to recover... I will say that working in a zero vis , 3 feet of Bottom muk/silt/ grime layer , sucks...Mad Props to Bassman for staying cool and calm in the Silt Bomb, I would have freeked out , and gone into rapid , Hard breathing ... I plan on making a Lake video soon to show everyone How difficult it is to hit bottom, stir it up, and have No Vis ... :biggrin:
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

H20doctor wrote:we were working for dave on that Job .... Pulling the 750 pound anchor .. and dave has No patience for divers when we were working, So the camera was Topside because it was a Time issue dive, find it , get it, then get the hell out of the water for the Vessel to recover... I will say that working in a zero vis , 3 feet of Bottom muk/silt/ grime layer , sucks...Mad Props to Bassman for staying cool and calm in the Silt Bomb, I would have freeked out , and gone into rapid , Hard breathing ... I plan on making a Lake video soon to show everyone How difficult it is to hit bottom, stir it up, and have No Vis ... :biggrin:
It is fun to think about after the fact isn't it. work by braille rocks :)

it is so cool that you had the chance to do that. Now their are a few I know about and want to lift so now you can help with them. The other three you need to get you trimix cert to get down to them and they are a little bigger than 750lbs.
Greg
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Love the video, nice work. I really enjoyed the updates and pics.
Life is good, let's dive!!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

So many things were seen on this trip. On our first night dive we saw the largest hooded nudibranch, its hood part was about as large as a big grapefruit! We were all blown away and of course, nobody brought a camera on this dive.
We did three dives a Mcnaughty (sp?) Rock and was amazed at the surge action and the huge Ling Cod along with a few GPO's
there was also China Rock fish and some big Black Rock fish. There was also several Kelp Greenling's, swimming in pairs sometimes.

Diving at the Harbor is always fun, you would be amazed at how many shopping carts are down there. People bring their groceries down with the cart, empty it and just toss it over the side. #-o

We had some great weather with plenty of rain mixed in.

Thanks Dave, for hosting another great trip!

I'm sure more pictures and video will be posted.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Here are my Topside pics of the Harbor and the Mountains of Sitka

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/10425473[/vimeo]
hideawayjohn
Just Settling In

Post by hideawayjohn »

Dusty2 wrote:
spatman wrote:that's an awesome bottle collection. what uses did the round-bottom "torpedo" bottles fulfill?
The round bottom bottles were water bottles and were carried in the bottom of the ships for ballast. Also the blob top bottles were early bottles before they developed the technology to mold the bottles in one piece. The bottles were blown into a mold by the glass blowers then the blow pipe was cut away and the top was applied over the bottle neck.
That's a great set of bottles! and a great report!! sounds like a very interesting & fun trip...
A "bottle-person" I ran into decades ago told me the round-bottomed ones were that way so that the cork seal wouldn't dry- you couldn't easily stand them up.
I found several in Nanaimo harbor - some with embossing- as well as the two-tome ceramics- I think they are Glasgow beer or ginger-beer bottles- I've found 2 sizes- quart & 1/2 quart- also in Nanaimo harbor... an old Union Steamship port-of-call and party place... cheers, HideAwayJohn
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Glad to hear everyone had a safe and fun trip. It all brings back great memories. Did you get to see the bone pile? Was the anchor the one Dave has been looking for for years? Is that a new walk through transom? I look forward to seeing more reports and video.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

This is Mcnaughty Rock and some of the video .. I am working on the second Part , because we dove there 3 times total
[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/10454301[/vimeo]
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Scuba Scott wrote:Glad to hear everyone had a safe and fun trip. It all brings back great memories. Did you get to see the bone pile? Was the anchor the one Dave has been looking for for years? Is that a new walk through transom? I look forward to seeing more reports and video.
-Bone Pile? if you mean the fish gut pile, we only drove past it in one of the videos you can see all of the seagulls feasting on it.
-The anchor was there for 5 years so, yes, I think it was that one. We actually found a small speed boat directly on top of it!
We weren't sure if the anchor was coming up or the speed boat.
-The new walk through transom, was spectacular!
- I'll have to get you back up there some day!
Chloe (sp?),Dave's daughter, asked about you!

Keith.