From Hood Canal--what are these??

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
ktb
I've Got Gills

From Hood Canal--what are these??

Post by ktb »

Sorry for the poor quality . . . could NOT get my strobe dialed in that day and viz was not the greatest.
Attachments
Is this a red saddleback gunnel?
Is this a red saddleback gunnel?
Any ideas?  Didn't really match anything I saw in Lamb and Hanby.
Any ideas? Didn't really match anything I saw in Lamb and Hanby.
Kelly
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Re: From Hood Canal--what are these??

Post by dwashbur »

The fish appears to be a longfin gunnel. The worm, I'm not even going to try. Leslie?
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yep, Longfin gunnel. That is one cool looking worm but I doubt anyone but leslie will know what kind.
Leslie
Avid Diver

Post by Leslie »

Leslie's a little puzzled herself. If it is a polychaete it would be a syllid but there's something about it not quite right. Kelly, did you see it move or was it just lying there?
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I did not see it move as a whole, but the leg-like appendages seemed to be fluttering in the water.
Kelly
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

The "worm" sure looks a lot like a fish spine to me, down to the bones angling back towards the tail.

I came across this picture for an example http://www.perceptivetravel.com/issues/ ... ne_450.jpg

I'm wondering if maybe someone filleted a fish and dropped the bones back into the water. Not sure what the stringy thing at the front is, maybe a spinal cord?
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Interesting idea, and one that would have never crossed my mind. But I've seen fish spines before and a couple of things seem off about that. I don't think a fish spine would have stayed still in the water (especially not with my flailing around, trying to take a picture), and the things I see as legs were not nearly long enough in my opinion. But I'm no expert, so I hope someone can figure it out--even if it does turn out to be just bones.
Kelly
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

That worms 'creepy'. I think it's an alien species and probably really good that you didn't spend too much time close to it. It coulda crawled in your ear and taken over your soul!

wheeeewwww! your one lucky cat

It didn't do that?......... did it?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

-Aaron- wrote:The "worm" sure looks a lot like a fish spine to me, down to the bones angling back towards the tail.

I came across this picture for an example http://www.perceptivetravel.com/issues/ ... ne_450.jpg

I'm wondering if maybe someone filleted a fish and dropped the bones back into the water. Not sure what the stringy thing at the front is, maybe a spinal cord?
Yes that's what I thought they were, the "legs" being remant half digested ribs.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

I concur, the second one is definitely the vertebral column of a small fish - if you zoom in you can see the ribs on the left side of the frame and the fused neural and haemal spines of the caudal region on the right side of the frame.

Ross
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

And with that, my hopes of having a new species named after me are dashed! #-o

But seriously, I'm glad I took a picture because it just goes to show you that things can look much different under water. I never would have though that was a fish spine.

Thanks everyone!
Kelly
Leslie
Avid Diver

Post by Leslie »

Fish spine seems much more reasonable.

Even if it was a polychaete and a new species just a picture doesn't do much. To have your name immortalized you need to either collect some & forward them to a taxonomist who can describe it or contact one of the programs that will allow you to choose a name in return for a donation.
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

Waynne Fowler wrote:That worms 'creepy'. I think it's an alien species and probably really good that you didn't spend too much time close to it. It coulda crawled in your ear and taken over your soul!

Hey that's exactly what happened to me! :smt032
"I seek out more experienced divers who are willing to dive with me, and I buy them beer." :snorkel:

"It was awesome until the point where Bono endorsed it." Fishstiq

"Anyone know a good direction to point me in so i can figure out exactly what i have?" kat