Vanilla?!?! (... & coffee too!!)

General banter about diving and why we love it.
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Vanilla?!?! (... & coffee too!!)

Post by diver-dad »

"Wash. Scientists Say Holiday Baking Has Impact on Puget Sound; Waterway Is Flavored by Vanilla"

Story at http://hamptonroads.cox.net/cci/newsnat ... atearticle

(one of these days I'll learn how to make links)
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow... I thought you were kidding at first...

Who has the time or money to research this?!? ](*,)

Very funny... your tax dollars at work! :axe:
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

they found traces of caffiene at depths of over 600 feet, crazy just crazy
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

So do you think that fishies can get addicted to the caffiene like we can.. I know my cat always trys to get into my frappuccino.. I think he's kind of addicted to it.. Do they get caffiene headaces like I do if people stop drinking as much coffee? hmmmm
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

the caffiene might explain the behavior of those dag nab it seals at cove 2 lately ](*,) why wont they leave me alone
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Caffiene addict

Post by girldiver »

Well, considering that the location of my current home was chosen based STRONGLY on the proximity of the nearest Starbucks (3 within a one block radius!!!)...maybe this study explains my love of diving! And why I prefer to dive in the Sound more than warmer waters.

Hmmm...
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Re: Caffiene addict

Post by diver-dad »

girldiver wrote: Well, considering that the location of my current home was chosen based STRONGLY on the proximity of the nearest Starbucks (3 within a one block radius!!!)...maybe this study explains my love of diving! And why I prefer to dive in the Sound more than warmer waters. ...
You know, that's kind of disturbing when you consider all of that stuff was "filtered" through people first!! Eeeew!! :pale:
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
Neutral Buoyancy
Avid Diver

Post by Neutral Buoyancy »

You know, that's kind of disturbing when you consider all of that stuff was "filtered" through people first!! Eeeew!!
That's what I'm talking about!!! Don't be to concerned about the vanilla.
Dolphin_Diver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Dolphin_Diver »

we can look at it this way. the water wont taste so salty. might taste pretty good if theres enough vanilla in it.
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Makes me ask the question that I have apparently naivley asked myself multiple times. Is there no better solution to waste management than dumping "treated" sewage into our water ways, or just no cheaper solution.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sergeant Pepper wrote:Makes me ask the question that I have apparently naivley asked myself multiple times. Is there no better solution to waste management than dumping "treated" sewage into our water ways, or just no cheaper solution.
DEFINITELY no cheaper solution..

How much to want to pay for the old john in your abode? a surcharge per bathroom, perhaps? Pay toilets anyone? ](*,)
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Unfortunately, this isn't the only circumstance where the wrong thing has been done in the name of money. I could mention numerous current events that would spawn a post thread of angry responses, but I'll refrain. Very sad.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sergeant Pepper wrote:Makes me ask the question that I have apparently naivley asked myself multiple times. Is there no better solution to waste management than dumping "treated" sewage into our water ways, or just no cheaper solution.
Well, considering that a city the size of Seattle creates about 30 to 50 million gallons of wastewater every day, what would you suggest we do with it?

You can't just make it go away, you know ... if there were a better solution, I know a bunch of people who'd like to hear about it. I work for the folks who run the wastewater treatment plants in the City of Tacoma, so I know a little about the process. It ain't cheap, and since the ratepayers foot the bill, I don't think they decided on this solution for financial reasons.

So if a better solution can be had for say, 10x as much as you currently pay ... would you be willing to watch your utility bills go up by that amount?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Grateful Diver wrote:
Well, considering that a city the size of Seattle creates about 30 to 50 million gallons of wastewater every day, what would you suggest we do with it?

You can't just make it go away, you know ... if there were a better solution, I know a bunch of people who'd like to hear about it. I work for the folks who run the wastewater treatment plants in the City of Tacoma, so I know a little about the process. It ain't cheap, and since the ratepayers foot the bill, I don't think they decided on this solution for financial reasons.

So if a better solution can be had for say, 10x as much as you currently pay ... would you be willing to watch your utility bills go up by that amount?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I know, it's just disappointing. However, as a mechanical engineer, I can't beleive there are not better fail safe options for not dumping untreated sewage during a severe power outage.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sergeant Pepper wrote: I know, it's just disappointing. However, as a mechanical engineer, I can't beleive there are not better fail safe options for not dumping untreated sewage during a severe power outage.
Basically how it works is this ... for the smaller stations, backup power is diesel generators. But those are limited because they just don't make diesel gensets big enough to handle the larger pumping stations ... and certainly not the treatment plants. There's just too much equipment to run for the treatment process. So they run the plants off of two or three separate feeds. In theory, if a feed goes down (which would black out major portions of a city), the likelihood of the second or third feed going down at the same time are very small.

During this storm, the outages were so widespread that's what happened. When the power goes out, the water doesn't stop flowing. It HAS to go somewhere ... and if not into Puget Sound, it'll flow into basements or even flood streets and make an unholy mess that'll be way less healthy for the population than dumping it into the Sound.

People take these processes too much for granted ... I'd be willing to bet that while the power was out people were still using the bathroom and flusing their toilets just like normal.

These facilities are designed around criteria that will keep them running under all but the most dire of circumstances ... this storm was one of those circumstances.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)