Whidbey Island Critters

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: Whidbey Island Critters

Post by Jan K »

WOW, 64,000 clicks on Whidbey Island Critters !
Another fish color puzzle. Why would the females wear all the different colors
on the same day, same reef ? Fashion show off ? :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow I like the two on the bottom with the leopard pattern.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

The real question is, how do you get them to sit still for you??????????
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

There sure is a lot of variation in female Kelp Greenling markings and coloration. I have no idea what the full story is on that, but I will say that I think I've noticed a couple of patterns...

a) the coloring changes with age/size/maturity - young females can look a lot like White-Spotted Greenling - even younger they tend to be solid red or olive

b) where there is surge or heavy current their colors seem more intense - maybe some of the variance relates to food?

My friend Stan and I were on a night dive off the NW corner of Tatoosh Island when we encountered (about 90fsw IIRC) a greenling which was at least 14" long, with solid bright red/orange coloration. It really grabbed our attention. I took photos and puzzled over it for a while - thought it might be some kind of early stage Rock Greenling, but after consulting with Christy and Janna, I ended up reporting it as a Kelp Greenling. Still feel some doubt about that fish identification - just didn't seem like any Kelp Greenling I've ever seen.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

They are born here at he Jetty , after high school they wander off and we don't see them here
at Keystone anymore... :bye:

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Another visit to the colors of Deception Pass . Even the Shaggy mouse are more
colorful here...

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

That's fascinating, Jan! I have often wondered what, if anything, eats metridium anemones.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

LCF wrote:That's fascinating, Jan! I have often wondered what, if anything, eats metridium anemones.
At least some kelp greenlings eat them. :burntchef:
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

What a difference. One from the north end of Whidbey, the other from the south end of Whidbey.
As the realtor said LOCATION IS EVERYTHING ...:)

Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

wow dramatic difference!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

On the sandy slopes the Sunflower Star meets the lonely Pink Tritonia.
The nudibranch doesn't like it a bit. At first touch it starts the convulsed escape dance.

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

What a cool behavior to capture! Everything in the water is afraid of those sea stars, and with good reason . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great find!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Visit to Langley Tire Reef. I found two Whitespotted greenlings guarding eggs.
And it looks like Bull Kelp is now a feature there too.

whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Jan K wrote:And it looks like Bull Kelp is now a feature there too.
Kelp at Langley?! That's a surprise to me.

Very cool White-Spotted Greenling study Jan - I've never seen the males of that species guarding eggs - Kelp Greenling all the time of course, but never the White-Spotted guys. Once again I find myself wishing I noticed the things that you do.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

theres some kelp over at the far side of the side, very near where the boats come in, if you follow the wall all the way around
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

I don't recall ever seeing any kelp there - except damaged and washed in after a storm. Things have changed a great deal at Langley in recent years. Kelp is definitely a good thing :) Has been a while since I've been there - might have to make a point of checking it out sometime in the next couple of months.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Many of the Lion's Mane Jellyfish end up their lives as gelatin like blobs on the beach.
At Keystone on Saturday, the strong southerly winds churned up the shallows speeding up
their demise :(
There were about ten of them caught in the surf, hard to get a good picture as I felt at times
like the doomed jellyfish ...

Tubesnout23
Submariner

Re: Cabezon's snack

Post by Tubesnout23 »

Jan K wrote:The Cabezon was not about let its "Gunnel on the Stick" snack go when I found the two on Langley Tire Reef yesterday :

Hi Jan! You seems to be always at the right place at the right time!

So the orange belly gunnel that became the Cabezon's snack is a Crescent Gunnel not a Longfin? I saw tons of them at Langley Tire Reef yesterday. They have an orange belly...can they be Saddlebacks? I keep confusing them!

I have never seen a Cabezon at Langley or anywhere else on Whidbey Island.How do you find them?

Cheers
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: Cabezon's snack

Post by Jan K »

Tubesnout23 wrote:
Jan K wrote:The Cabezon was not about let its "Gunnel on the Stick" snack go when I found the two on Langley Tire Reef yesterday :
So the orange belly gunnel that became the Cabezon's snack is a Crescent Gunnel not a Longfin? I saw tons of them at Langley Tire Reef yesterday. They have an orange belly...can they be Saddlebacks? I keep confusing them!
I have never seen a Cabezon at Langley or anywhere else on Whidbey Island.How do you find them? Cheers

This was shot long time ago, I agree, Cabezons are not frequently seen here on Whidbey, I had actually more
luck at Keystone than at Langley. I thought that it was Crescent gunnel then, but I think you are right, it looks like I messed up. Nobody corrected me in 2007 so it was hiding there all this time - Saddleback gunnel snack, indeed.

Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

hmm, not so sure you should switch. The markings on the side look a lot more like that of a crescent than a saddleback in the second picture. Look at fig. A and D on pg. 129 of the new Lamb & Edgell and compare to saddleback on the next page.
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

Greg Jensen wrote:hmm, not so sure you should switch. The markings on the side look a lot more like that of a crescent than a saddleback in the second picture. Look at fig. A and D on pg. 129 of the new Lamb & Edgell and compare to saddleback on the next page.
Hi Greg,

So both crescent and saddleback have orange in their belly, sides and cheeks?
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

They both can have orange in those places- or no orange at all, so color isn't a reliable character. Both species vary a lot in color but (at least in my experience) crescents seem to vary more than saddlebacks. Everything from a dark, almost blackish gray to pale yellow; orange to bright red. So I rely on the shape of the dorsal markings and the pattern on the sides.
I still sometimes find ones that don't seem to match either very well, though.
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

Greg Jensen wrote:They both can have orange in those places- or no orange at all, so color isn't a reliable character. Both species vary a lot in color but (at least in my experience) crescents seem to vary more than saddlebacks. Everything from a dark, almost blackish gray to pale yellow; orange to bright red. So I rely on the shape of the dorsal markings and the pattern on the sides.
I still sometimes find ones that don't seem to match either very well, though.
Now that we talking about gunnels. Have you ever seen a Pen Point Gunnel without the spots on its sides?
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Generally when I've taken a closer look, the spots that the Pen Points are named for are present but difficult to see. But there are a couple of similar fish in our area - the Rockweed Gunnel comes to mind. Look at some photos in books and pay attention to the pectoral fins and other noteworthy differentiators.