Tacoma Equipment Dive on Saturday

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: Tacoma Equipment Dive on Saturday

Post by BASSMAN »

cardiver wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: One thing it tells me is that he'll probably never invite anyone to go diving with him on this board again, and who could blame him?
Ouch! #-o
I would dive with him! :boucegreen:
After I'm back to diving..."Stupid Back thing!" :bored:
When will that be? :rawlings:
Hopefully around the middle of this month! :toimonster:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

BASSMAN wrote:
cardiver wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: One thing it tells me is that he'll probably never invite anyone to go diving with him on this board again, and who could blame him?
Ouch! #-o
I would dive with him! :boucegreen:
After I'm back to diving..."Stupid Back thing!" :bored:
When will that be? :rawlings:
Hopefully around the middle of this month! :toimonster:
Nice! I should have my new camera by then....... :eek:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

He checked in a few pages ago. Apparently he survived his brush with death.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Ain't this horse dead yet?

Great Christ ... a few people mentioned something they thought of as helpful 10 days and 70 posts ago ... and they're still getting kicked for it.

You guys are right ... threads like this one do inhibit people from posting. I know I'll watch somebody drown before I mention anything on here that might help them avoid it.

After all ... there's way more than one way to dive ... whatever the hell that's supposed to mean ... as previously mentioned, and subsequently ignored, the people who brought it up DO dive more than one way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tangfish wrote: Frankly, I find it arrogant and rude when people wag their fingers at others who aren't diving "up to their standards", and offer up unsolicited "constructive criticism". I guess the policy is an extension of my own view on the subject of personal freedom vs. being told what to do "for your own good".

Bottom line: don't tell other people how to dive. Just be a good diver yourself (i.e., set a good example), and if so inclined, offer a helping hand when someone asks for assistance or advice.
So let's say some guy ... a moderately experienced OW diver ... purchases a Meg on Craigslist and decides he's perfectly capable of teaching himself how to use it. He heads off to Cove 2, does a solo dive on his new rebreather, and comes here to talk about what a great dive he had.

Do you suggest to him that what he's doing is dangerous? Maybe point out a few things that he doesn't understand? Would you even suggest to him that taking the class is way worth the money?

Wouldn't all of those things be offering unsolicited advice? Is it arrogant and rude to point out to someone that what they don't know can get them injured or dead before they even realize what's happening?

I respect that this is your board, and you can make any rules you want. I understand that if I want to post here, I need to respect those rules ... and I honestly try to.

But I don't agree with this one at all ... it's overly broad, and assumes the worst about people who may only be trying to help someone avoid an accident.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Josh, you shouldn't drive a green van. everyone knows green is a dangerous color on the road and it will surely kill you. you should know this just by reading the internet, and by driving that green van you are endangering yourself and everyone around you. i, for one, would never drive with someone in a green van, and i would think most of the people on this board wouldn't either.

those headlights and turn signals aren't nearly bright enough either. how is anyone supposed to see you indicating your turn on the foggy roads here in the PNW? go replace them with halogens before you get lost or hurt someone.

that ladder strapped to the top of your van? useless. that thing is nowhere near long enough to work here in the PNW. everyone who drives a van with a ladder on their roof knows you need at least an 18' ladder to be safe and be able to reach your objective. you shouldn't have wasted your money on it, and might as well start saving to buy a better one now.

your gas mileage sucks, too. that's partly because you don't know how to drive efficiently and waste gas that you should be saving for your return trip. instead, you run out quickly and have to siphon off your friends for the return home. someday you'll be driving with someone you don't know well, who won't keep you visible in their mirrors, and will leave you behind. learn to be more fuel efficient and plan your usage better.

and lastly, whoever taught you to drive was a terrible instructor. you obviously went to one of those 2 day driving schools where they make you drive around a parking lot through orange cones, instead of giving you real world experience and training on the open roads. i know several really good driving instructors you should learn from before you run over someone's dog or worse. PM me and i'll send you their info.

welcome to NW Driving Club, i hope i answered all your questions and set you straight well before you even thought to ask them.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I guess some of us see a difference between diving a CCR with no training and diving to 100' on an AL80.

Grateful Diver wrote:
Tangfish wrote: Frankly, I find it arrogant and rude when people wag their fingers at others who aren't diving "up to their standards", and offer up unsolicited "constructive criticism". I guess the policy is an extension of my own view on the subject of personal freedom vs. being told what to do "for your own good".

Bottom line: don't tell other people how to dive. Just be a good diver yourself (i.e., set a good example), and if so inclined, offer a helping hand when someone asks for assistance or advice.
So let's say some guy ... a moderately experienced OW diver ... purchases a Meg on Craigslist and decides he's perfectly capable of teaching himself how to use it. He heads off to Cove 2, does a solo dive on his new rebreather, and comes here to talk about what a great dive he had.

Do you suggest to him that what he's doing is dangerous? Maybe point out a few things that he doesn't understand? Would you even suggest to him that taking the class is way worth the money?

Wouldn't all of those things be offering unsolicited advice? Is it arrogant and rude to point out to someone that what they don't know can get them injured or dead before they even realize what's happening?

I respect that this is your board, and you can make any rules you want. I understand that if I want to post here, I need to respect those rules ... and I honestly try to.

But I don't agree with this one at all ... it's overly broad, and assumes the worst about people who may only be trying to help someone avoid an accident.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

cardiver wrote: Nice! I should have my new camera by then....... :eek:
???
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:I guess some of us see a difference between diving a CCR with no training and diving to 100' on an AL80.
What if the guy had training and decided he didn't need any more bailout than his diluent? Would this be all that different than running an Al80 down to 800psi at 100ft then ascending? Assuming 19+cf of dil, its roughly the same amount of gas.

Mums the word, anyone can dive however they see fit? (which I agree with, but give people some latitude for discussion too IMHO)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

spatman wrote:Josh, you shouldn't drive a green van. everyone knows green is a dangerous color on the road and it will surely kill you. you should know this just by reading the internet, and by driving that green van you are endangering yourself and everyone around you. i, for one, would never drive with someone in a green van, and i would think most of the people on this board wouldn't either.

those headlights and turn signals aren't nearly bright enough either. how is anyone supposed to see you indicating your turn on the foggy roads here in the PNW? go replace them with halogens before you get lost or hurt someone.

that ladder strapped to the top of your van? useless. that thing is nowhere near long enough to work here in the PNW. everyone who drives a van with a ladder on their roof knows you need at least an 18' ladder to be safe and be able to reach your objective. you shouldn't have wasted your money on it, and might as well start saving to buy a better one now.

your gas mileage sucks, too. that's partly because you don't know how to drive efficiently and waste gas that you should be saving for your return trip. instead, you run out quickly and have to siphon off your friends for the return home. someday you'll be driving with someone you don't know well, who won't keep you visible in their mirrors, and will leave you behind. learn to be more fuel efficient and plan your usage better.

and lastly, whoever taught you to drive was a terrible instructor. you obviously went to one of those 2 day driving schools where they make you drive around a parking lot through orange cones, instead of giving you real world experience and training on the open roads. i know several really good driving instructors you should learn from before you run over someone's dog or worse. PM me and i'll send you their info.

welcome to NW Driving Club, i hope i answered all your questions and set you straight well before you even thought to ask them.
Glad my ladder is long.....

Awesome post, defiantly worth a gold star!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:I guess some of us see a difference between diving a CCR with no training and diving to 100' on an AL80.
What if the guy had training and decided he didn't need any more bailout than his diluent? Would this be all that different than running an Al80 down to 800psi at 100ft then ascending? Assuming 19+cf of dil, its roughly the same amount of gas.

Mums the word, anyone can dive however they see fit? (which I agree with, but give people some latitude for discussion too IMHO)
Within reason. Everyone's missing this part of what Calvin had to say:
Whether or not the OP dives to 100' on an AL80 is a decision that they have to make for themselves. If they are a certified diver and not blatantly exceeding the boundaries of their training and experience, or posting maliciously false safety-related information, then they are just as entitled as anyone else is to posting about their dives.
OBVIOUSLY, if someone who doesn't know better announces a suicidal dive plan here, anyone with a shred of decency is going to speak up about it; and even though I don't work here any more, I'm pretty sure management isn't going to ban them for it.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I've kept my mouth shut when 2 numbnuts on a charter decided to dive their Inspos without bailout. 1 was the charter owner and CCR instructor. Maybe I should've spoken up, maybe not. There's a big gray swath between for sure safe (on shore) and on the verge of suicidal with various degrees of "ill-informed" in-between. Trying to define where in this gray zone to shut up vs. speak up is not that easy - as this thread attests.

I do think its interesting that nobody jumped on this guy about gas management at all. The spark of this discussion was how you all were amazed someone hadn't yet. Guess the gas management harpies were actually measured in their responses as you'd like them to be in the TOS afterall. And the OP survived his dive but is wondering what all the bickering is about. Maybe he'll PM Bob for the backstory.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Of course there's a difference ... but the rule says ...

Constructive criticism of other members is strongly discouraged unless explicitly asked for by a poster. In other words, do not give advice to others unless it’s explicitly asked for by that person.

It makes no distiction with respect to why you may be offering "constructive criticism" ... only that it's strongly discouraged unless explicitly asked for by the poster. So in that respect, offering any advice or criticism in the example I posted above is breaking the rules.

That's my point, Josh ... the rule is broad, assumes the worst of people who probably have the best of intentions, and ... as you just demonstrated ... will probably be selectively enforced based on the personal opinions and diving philosophy of the enforcer.

OK, so now I'll give you another example.

Someone comes onto the board and posts about a disorienting situation they had underwater. They ask what might have caused it. They casually mention that while they were disoriented and unable to see, their dive buddy swam away ... and that they had to end the dive solo. They didn't see anything wrong or unusual with this.

By the rules, I can't point out that as disturbing as the disorientation is ... having a dive buddy just swim off and leave you there at a time when you're incapacitated is an even bigger issue ... and probably an indication that there's some deficiencies in their approach to this dive that should be addressed. I can't say that ... no matter how strongly I feel that having a dive buddy swim off and leave you alone at a time when you are incapacitated completely invalidates the whole reason for diving with a buddy in the first place. I can't suggest that maybe ... just maybe ... this isn't a very safe approach to diving with a buddy.

I can't bring that up. I just have to sit and wonder what would've happened if this disorientation was the onset of something more serious ... and wonder how long it's gonna be before this approach to "buddy" diving ends up leaving us with one less person in our community.

There's such a thing as common sense ... but you don't know what you don't know ... and if you don't even understand why something might be putting you at a high risk, how are you supposed to ask for advice about it?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Joshua Smith wrote:Maybe so. Feel free to take it up with the folks who run the board.
I'm sorry, but I didn't ask for your advise on that subject and I must ask that you abide by the rules of NWDC and not give it unless explicitly asked for :rofl: *yes, this is sarcasm*
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

+1 to Rachael, Ben, and Bob (and anyone else I missed)

You can only ask questions about things that you know are dangerous. I'd rather have someone give me advice about something unsolicited and risk offense than die because I didn't phrase my questions right or forgot to ask the right question.

Now with that being said there's a big difference between offering advice and being "pompous and rude". It's easy to miscommunicate on the internet, and people tend to forget that.

Instead of, "wow, and AL80? Are you sure about that you idiot??? :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: "

Maybe we can work on.... "Hi, new person, I'm not exactly sure what your experience is, but have you seen -this thread-? If so, then disregard, and have an awesome dive!"

Sorry Tangfish, but I have to agree with Bob here that this rule is very overly broad. I'm imagining that this rule is in place because of the extreme sensitivity people have about... yeah I'm gonna say it... DIR. Whether for or against it's always a touchy subject. But to be honest, since I've joined this board I've never seen anying DIR saying YOU MUST DIVE THIS WAY OR DIE, more often I see non-DIR people saying YOU MUST DIVE THIS WAY OR SOMEONE DIR WILL SAY YOU WILL DIE... and no one ever says it. There are more non-DIR people bringing up the DIR conflict than the other way around, and honestly I think it would be great if everyone could just get over it (from both sides) and stop :popcorn: :popcorn: the crap out of every post that has a potential conflict.

There are a ton of people on this board with a lot of knowledge and experience that I would hate to see posting less or leaving the board because they feel like they're not allowed to speak, but at the same time can't say nothing with a clear conscious.
April
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

spatman wrote:Josh, you shouldn't drive a green van. everyone knows green is a dangerous color on the road and it will surely kill you. you should know this just by reading the internet, and by driving that green van you are endangering yourself and everyone around you. i, for one, would never drive with someone in a green van, and i would think most of the people on this board wouldn't either.

I don't care what the rule says. Josh should take the shag carpet off the walls of his van and get rid of that zebra skin on his waterbed!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Grateful Diver wrote:Of course there's a difference ... but the rule says ...

Constructive criticism of other members is strongly discouraged unless explicitly asked for by a poster. In other words, do not give advice to others unless it’s explicitly asked for by that person.
"strongly discouraged" does not equal "we will infest your crotch with the fleas of a thousand camels and remove you from the internet".

"advice" does not equal "holy crap, that guy is about to jump of a cliff! maybe i should suggest not doing that?"

you all are missing the forest for the trees. stop looking at the extremes, and think about the day to day.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Tacoma Equipment Dive on Saturday

Post by Joshua Smith »

I wouldn't have a problem with you bringing that up, in that case. The rule, in my opinion, is open to pretty broad interpretation. And this is by no means a new rule. It's been there since forever. Which, by extension, means that most of the advice dispensed here has fallen on the "fair" side of the line, as opposed to "foul."

Grateful Diver wrote:
Of course there's a difference ... but the rule says ...

It makes no distiction with respect to why you may be offering "constructive criticism" ... only that it's strongly discouraged unless explicitly asked for by the poster. So in that respect, offering any advice or criticism in the example I posted above is breaking the rules.

That's my point, Josh ... the rule is broad, assumes the worst of people who probably have the best of intentions, and ... as you just demonstrated ... will probably be selectively enforced based on the personal opinions and diving philosophy of the enforcer.

OK, so now I'll give you another example.

Someone comes onto the board and posts about a disorienting situation they had underwater. They ask what might have caused it. They casually mention that while they were disoriented and unable to see, their dive buddy swam away ... and that they had to end the dive solo. They didn't see anything wrong or unusual with this.

By the rules, I can't point out that as disturbing as the disorientation is ... having a dive buddy just swim off and leave you there at a time when you're incapacitated is an even bigger issue ... and probably an indication that there's some deficiencies in their approach to this dive that should be addressed. I can't say that ... no matter how strongly I feel that having a dive buddy swim off and leave you alone at a time when you are incapacitated completely invalidates the whole reason for diving with a buddy in the first place. I can't suggest that maybe ... just maybe ... this isn't a very safe approach to diving with a buddy.

I can't bring that up. I just have to sit and wonder what would've happened if this disorientation was the onset of something more serious ... and wonder how long it's gonna be before this approach to "buddy" diving ends up leaving us with one less person in our community.

There's such a thing as common sense ... but you don't know what you don't know ... and if you don't even understand why something might be putting you at a high risk, how are you supposed to ask for advice about it?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

spatman wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Of course there's a difference ... but the rule says ...

"strongly discouraged" does not equal "we will infest your crotch with the fleas of a thousand camels and remove you from the internet".

"advice" does not equal "holy crap, that guy is about to jump of a cliff! maybe i should suggest not doing that?"

you all are missing the forest for the trees. stop looking at the extremes, and think about the day to day.
How about a case of "Wow that guy ALMOST drove off a cliff, and didn't even notice or acknowledge that the cliff was there" ? Should we all shut up and not maybe suggest that what they have done was dangerous? Or just shrug and walk away, as to avoid the appearance of "telling them how to drive"?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Grateful Diver wrote:Someone comes onto the board and posts about a disorienting situation they had underwater. They ask what might have caused it. They casually mention that while they were disoriented and unable to see, their dive buddy swam away ... and that they had to end the dive solo. They didn't see anything wrong or unusual with this.
Right - it might be wrong or unusual according to what you define as a buddy, but for others, a buddy represents something different - you don't know what was discussed or expected. They might be aware of your own reasoning, but something else works better for them. The problem is one of attitude and respect. If you have some concerns, start discussion - do it respectfully and with the attitude that you just might learn something yourself - something that contradicts your initial reaction. Open your mind. This whole thing started with a few people having just enough information to jump down the OP's throat - ridiculing his breathing gas plan and referring to it as "getting stupid". That's just plain rude and offensive - and as you mentioned earlier in the thread that's not a good way to influence people. That's the unsolicited criticism referred to in the TOS. Asking for more information and engaging the OP in a thread that's aimed at learning more about their philosophy - maybe even getting to a compare/contrast situation - that's likely to produce something that has value to anybody reading along. If it reaches a point where you're saying "your way is wrong and mine is right" instead of "personally I find more comfort in this method or strategy because..." then it has gone too far. Don't patronize others by assuming they want or need your helping hand.

Some people think that riding a motorcycle is crazy. Same folks think that climbing mountains is madness, snow skiing inevitably produces broken limbs or worse, competing in triathlons is for others, and SCUBA diving is incredibly daring - doing it solo is surely suicide. The most exciting thing that happened to them this week was the beginning of a new season of some reality show on TV. Those people aren't going to see or experience the things that bring me joy in life - most likely they'll die early as a result of their choosing a sedentary lifestyle, but I'm not going to ridicule them for it or slap the Big Mac from their chubby little claw. I'm happy to try to explain why and how I do the things I do if they're interested, but I fully expect them to find it "wrong" and that's okay. SCUBA diving means different things to different people - I know I've read you make the same statement, but sometimes the way you phrase things on this forum makes me think that you do not fully accept that and take it to heart Bob. I hear you're a great instructor and I know you contribute a lot through this forum and your own site - I think this may be a way for you to "connect" with more people (even troublemakers like me).
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nwbrewer wrote:How about a case of "Wow that guy ALMOST drove off a cliff, and didn't even notice or acknowledge that the cliff was there" ? Should we all shut up and not maybe suggest that what they have done was dangerous? Or just shrug and walk away, as to avoid the appearance of "telling them how to drive"?
you're missing my point, jake. when someone comes close to death, then it's no longer just "advice" or "constructive criticism".

me telling you that your pink snorkel is useless and you'd be better off without one is advice.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Honestly I am the type to think common sense things are useless as training....but then I started diving with some....err...interesting new divers...now I know why classes like night diving...navigation...deep diving...and etc exist. Some people need instructions on how to do a particular thing....they need someone to enlighten them and push them in the right direction...I for one hate hearing about something I don't ask about but even the unwanted knowledge seeps in eventually.

A lot of active board members have dove with a deadly buddy before, it seems they know the during and after effects.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

This really isn't about pink snorkels. Or cases that are obvious suicide attempts. This IS about those gray areas - maybe their plan is ok, maybe it's not, maybe the person knows what they're getting into, maybe they don't (again, you don't need to be a newbie to make a mistake). The point is that I'd rather have someone say something - once, nicely, and without bias. Perhaps this matter would be taken more seriously if you watched someone die scuba diving from something totally preventable. If someone would have just spoken up... things might have been different. The forum isn't a substitute for real world experience, or whatever that is supposed to mean - but if you could prevent a tragedy, wouldn't you? Again, I understand the sentiment behind the rule, but strongly believe it needs to be better worded so that people aren't put off of saying something and possibly preventing a tragedy.
spatman wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:How about a case of "Wow that guy ALMOST drove off a cliff, and didn't even notice or acknowledge that the cliff was there" ? Should we all shut up and not maybe suggest that what they have done was dangerous? Or just shrug and walk away, as to avoid the appearance of "telling them how to drive"?
you're missing my point, jake. when someone comes close to death, then it's no longer just "advice" or "constructive criticism".

me telling you that your pink snorkel is useless and you'd be better off without one is advice.
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

rjarnold wrote:The point is that I'd rather have someone say something - once, nicely, and without bias. Perhaps this matter would be taken more seriously if you watched someone die scuba diving from something totally preventable. If someone would have just spoken up... things might have been different. The forum isn't a substitute for real world experience, or whatever that is supposed to mean - but if you could prevent a tragedy, wouldn't you? Again, I understand the sentiment behind the rule, but strongly believe it needs to be better worded so that people aren't put off of saying something and possibly preventing a tragedy.
we're on the same page, rachel. you don't need to witness a diver dying to take this sport seriously.

no matter how it's worded, people will get bent about the semantics of it. the point i've been trying to make is to just understand the intent of the terms of service, and to approach things with tact and care, then things will work out.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

spatman wrote:me telling you that your pink snorkel is useless
FWIW - I never go anywhere without my pink snorkel - it has been very rewarding for me.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir