Tacoma Equipment Dive on Saturday

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Tacoma Equipment Dive on Saturday

Post by spatman »

Subject: Tacoma Equipment Dive on Saturday
airsix wrote:The irony is this all started with a comment ("getting stupid") made by someone who isn't a card carrying member of the so-called safety patrol (and he didn't mean any harm by it), yet all the usual suspects are being rounded up and put on trial anyway. It tells me there is some pretty deep seated animosity toward club members who are concerned about the safety of others. I think that's pretty messed up, and I don't get it. With the possible exception of 1 or 2 hard-liners (on both sides of the divide) I don't understand why friendship doesn't win out over our differences.
really, ben? is that what you're seeing here?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

spatman wrote:Subject: Tacoma Equipment Dive on Saturday
airsix wrote:The irony is this all started with a comment ("getting stupid") made by someone who isn't a card carrying member of the so-called safety patrol (and he didn't mean any harm by it), yet all the usual suspects are being rounded up and put on trial anyway. It tells me there is some pretty deep seated animosity toward club members who are concerned about the safety of others. I think that's pretty messed up, and I don't get it. With the possible exception of 1 or 2 hard-liners (on both sides of the divide) I don't understand why friendship doesn't win out over our differences.
Seemed like that to me too, Matt ... that's the only reason I got involved in this thread. Up till the gas management comment, I had stayed out of it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Tacoma Equipment Dive on Saturday

Post by Grateful Diver »

rjarnold wrote: I really want a yellow house/hood canal dive again...
... I think that can be arranged ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Grateful Diver wrote:
spatman wrote:Subject: Tacoma Equipment Dive on Saturday
Seemed like that to me too, Matt ... that's the only reason I got involved in this thread. Up till the gas management comment, I had stayed out of it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Ditto, +1, however you want to say yes...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

@Ben,

I didn't mean to have anyone feel that they are on trial. My first post was simply a quote of the passage in the TOS relating to this subject and a link to it. The second post was in response to someone PMing me and telling me that I should pipe up and answer some of the questions being raised.

As far as what should be done if you see someone in need of help but who also doesn't know to ask for it - ask them to go diving. That's not such a terrible arrangement, is it? If each one of us did this only once a year, that'd be more than sufficient to handle the minority of cases where an inexperienced diver wanting to do dives ostensibly beyond their current ability doesn't invite the input of the more experienced. And, we'd make more dive buddies as a result. :supz:
Grateful Diver wrote:
Tangfish wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:I think we need a club dive. How many of ya'll were at Redondo in July? We had over 60 folks from the club there ... all sorts of divers ... and everybody had a great time.

Ain't that why we're here? Sheesh ... let's drop this topic and go diving ...
Well said. Bob, you busy next Tuesday or Wednesday? I've been dying to get wet!
Sounds like fun ... let's go diving ... I'm available after work either day ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sweet! Let's go with Wednesday evening. Will follow up in PM.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

well, i'm completely unsurprised by what happened to this thread after the ToS post...

trying to ban unsolicited advice in a ToS on the internet is kind of like the legislature passing a law that fish should not be wet...
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Tangfish wrote:As far as what should be done if you see someone in need of help but who also doesn't know to ask for it - ask them to go diving. .
Now that's good advice, unsolicited or not. If Bob hadn't met me for a dive at Mukilteo that day, Fishstiq would have certainly killed me by now.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Tangfish wrote:As far as what should be done if you see someone in need of help but who also doesn't know to ask for it - ask them to go diving. That's not such a terrible arrangement, is it?
That is the best thing that's been suggested in this thread by far. =D>
Diving ALWAYS makes things better.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

lamont wrote:well, i'm completely unsurprised by what happened to this thread after the ToS post...

trying to ban unsolicited advice in a ToS on the internet is kind of like the legislature passing a law that fish should not be wet...
You got a chuckle out of me, Lamont. The same could be said for NWDC Rule #1. Just because it can't be followed 100% of the time doesn't mean we should give up trying.

By the way, your simile brought this back from the memory banks.

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

this thread reminds me of this comic:

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

spatman wrote:this thread reminds me of this comic:

Did Spatman just get away with calling us all a douchebag by cleverly concealing it in a comic strip?
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

Thanks Calvin, for the post. I have to admit it's nice to see more of what's going on inside your head and the thoughts behind the ToS you've made.

I had a not very well focused response typed out, but I think airsix summed it up better than I can.

I think we do all need to meet each other in person more often... We seem to see the worst of people we only know on the internet. The mods assume the worst of the posters they don't know in person, and other posters assume the worst of other posters and mods they haven't met.

Calvin, you did make this board, but everyone that has joined since has made it the community that it is, so forgive us if we're protective of it, and our ability to post our feelings and opinions. And I understand that you mods have a hard job maintaining the balance, and that you all are not perfect :)

You keep us in line, and we'll keep you in line, right?
April
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Pez7378 wrote:

Did Spatman just get away with calling us all a douchebag by cleverly concealing it in a comic strip?
Did Pez just get away with telling Spatman he's wrong by cleverly concealing it in a post about concealing douchebag calling within a comic strip?
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

+1 :)
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

sniff
Poseidon bless us,............ EVERYONE!

:grouphug:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

rjarnold wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:Did Spatman just get away with calling us all a douchebag by cleverly concealing it in a comic strip?
Did Pez just get away with telling Spatman he's wrong by cleverly concealing it in a post about concealing douchebag calling within a comic strip?
are any of us really that clever?
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

***this post posteded under the influence of beer***

A while back, there was the infamous "Jacksonbrown" event. No secret, it pissed me off. I think the mods were wrong, not only in banning Cory but also in their response to members objecting to their actions. See, here's the thing. I get that this is Calvins board. He started it, he owns the servers, blah blah blah. Fine. However, there's such a thing as intellectual property. The knowledge dispersed here by our awesome instructors is not property of the board. The critter ID's are not NWDC property. Mattleys time and effort organizing MMM is not owned by the board. I could go on, but you get the idea. My point is that the members of this board, mods or not, have contributed the content that makes this board the community it has become. I feel that the members of this board should then have some voice in what happens here. The reason I was gone for a while was this, that it became members versus mods and a "because I said so" mentality ("the mods are unanimous in this", which they weren't). This topic seems much the same. When the topics become divisive like this, where mods and such have conflict with established, experienced divers and instructors and board members, it pisses me off all over again. It makes me feel like this board isn't something I want to contribute to anymore.

So, there *hic* you go. :partyman: do with *hic* it what you will. :partyman:
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Fishstiq wrote:***this post posteded under the influence of beer***
This is the funniest statement ever!!! As if there was any posts, by you, that weret....weren't.. wernt weren't

Thanks for helping iwht my spelling jOe.l.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Tangfish wrote: Image
that's probably my all time favorite.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Fishstiq wrote:***this post posteded under the influence of beer***

A while back, there was the infamous "Jacksonbrown" event. No secret, it pissed me off. I think the mods were wrong, not only in banning Cory but also in their response to members objecting to their actions. See, here's the thing. I get that this is Calvins board. He started it, he owns the servers, blah blah blah. Fine. However, there's such a thing as intellectual property. The knowledge dispersed here by our awesome instructors is not property of the board. The critter ID's are not NWDC property. Mattleys time and effort organizing MMM is not owned by the board. I could go on, but you get the idea. My point is that the members of this board, mods or not, have contributed the content that makes this board the community it has become. I feel that the members of this board should then have some voice in what happens here. The reason I was gone for a while was this, that it became members versus mods and a "because I said so" mentality ("the mods are unanimous in this", which they weren't). This topic seems much the same. When the topics become divisive like this, where mods and such have conflict with established, experienced divers and instructors and board members, it pisses me off all over again. It makes me feel like this board isn't something I want to contribute to anymore.

So, there *hic* you go. :partyman: do with *hic* it what you will. :partyman:
i've seen variations on this complaint posted since i was first on BBSes back in the late 80s.

it never really works to have the inmates run the asylum.

at the same time when the admins go a bit power mad it tends to blow back on them and the board suffers.

usually it bounces around between the middle of the extremes somewhere.

i will say that "dont offer constructive criticism" is something novel that i've never seen before...
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

lamont wrote:i will say that "dont offer constructive criticism" is something novel that i've never seen before...
Seriously? For a decade or more the net was filled with places where people discussed things openly and when critical thoughts leaked in they were crushed. Were you sleeping?! :p
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

lamont wrote: it never really works to have the inmates run the asylum.

In reference to Joe, this seems like a very appropriate statement. :neener:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

:shootself: :blah: :lalala: :evil4: I'm sooo done with this post. This will be the first time I will actually select "Not" to follow this thread!
I just want to get back to diving.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

lamont wrote: i will say that "dont offer constructive criticism" is something novel that i've never seen before...
While just about every BB is privately owned like this one (TDS, DMX, SB blah blah blah) this is a rather new TOS rule. In contrast to "don't be a dick" which is pretty much universal :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.