interesting bottle reef at Sunnyside

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

interesting bottle reef at Sunnyside

Post by olyvtx »

went out to Sunnyside to troubleshoot the ttl mode on my ikelite setup. found these (2) interesting bottle artificial reefs...
Attachments
IMG_2014.jpg
IMG_2008.jpg
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: interesting bottle reef at Sunnyside

Post by CaptnJack »

Weird, have any idea who made them? They look brand new.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Where are the located. I don't think they could be more than a few weeks old.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Ordinarily I'm not much of one for reefs made of artificial materials, but I kind of like it. It seems a little artistic, no entanglement hazards, non-toxic, and provides some habitat. Much nicer than PVC or tossing old toilets in I suppose.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Nwbrewer wrote:Ordinarily I'm not much of one for reefs made of artificial materials, but I kind of like it. It seems a little artistic, no entanglement hazards, non-toxic, and provides some habitat. Much nicer than PVC or tossing old toilets in I suppose.
+1. it's one of the cooler one's I've seen, though I think that's just standard black pipe ain't it?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I hope they sanded down the sharp edges.. Cut cut.. Blood blood ..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Waynne Fowler wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:Ordinarily I'm not much of one for reefs made of artificial materials, but I kind of like it. It seems a little artistic, no entanglement hazards, non-toxic, and provides some habitat. Much nicer than PVC or tossing old toilets in I suppose.
+1. it's one of the cooler one's I've seen, though I think that's just standard black pipe ain't it?
Where? It looks like rectangular steel tubing and 1.5L and .75L bottles to me.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Waynne Fowler wrote:
Where? It looks like rectangular steel tubing and 1.5L and .75L bottles to me.
LOL! I guess I should put on my glasses! You are right.. I am 'shapealogically challenged' this morning!
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

yeah, must have been put there within the last month or two. Don't know if the glass edges are sharp or not....im not going to use my dry gloves to test. They're located at the bottom of the drop off, approximately straight out from the volley ball net.
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

That is actually really cool!
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Winter wrote:That is actually really cool!
Well then, let's go have a look and I'll test those glass edges.... With YOUR drygloves! :)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

H20doctor wrote:I hope they sanded down the sharp edges.. Cut cut.. Blood blood ..
That's part of the design - it will bring in the Six Gills.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

Alrighty now, who dun it and how do you go about getting a permit for implanting your art?
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

There's a right way...nne, a wrong way...nne.
most folks make it, take it and sink it... without permits.

not that I'm condoning that or anything... I'm just sayin' that's how most of the junk gets underwater at sunnyside.
and who's gonna drill all them damn holes in the tubing?...
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

StarTrekSpockFascinating1.jpeg (43.85 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Winter wrote:Alrighty now, who dun it and how do you go about getting a permit for implanting your art?
Yeah, uh Permit? What's that look like?

I kind of like it, It will be interesting to see what kind of life will collect there.

If someone else finds it, can they include a compass heading?

I needed a good reason other than hunting red rock crab to dive Sunnyside again, Thanks! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Waynne Fowler wrote:
kinda looks like a triangular bottle Christmas Tree that fell over onto it's side..... Pretty cool, I'll bet the Octos will likeit, and the decorated war bonnets.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Great! More JUNK in the Puget Sound! :angry:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

:smt064 I think we should create more bottle fields so our future divers can enjoy a bottle hunt too. And of course the little Red Octo's or Gunnel's would appreciate it too!
:stir:

:popcorn:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

BASSMAN wrote::smt064 I think we should create more bottle fields so our future divers can enjoy a bottle hunt too. And of course the little Red Octo's or Gunnel's would appreciate it too!

Keith, I like to bottle hunt. And look at the little octos. But putting more bottles underwater just leads to a can of worms.
Whats junk and whats not? Just my 2 cents.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

wallyc72 wrote:
BASSMAN wrote::smt064 I think we should create more bottle fields so our future divers can enjoy a bottle hunt too. And of course the little Red Octo's or Gunnel's would appreciate it too!

Keith, I like to bottle hunt. And look at the little octos. But putting more bottles underwater just leads to a can of worms.
Speaking of junk......I'd love to know who tied all of that ugly drainage pipe to the pipe boat at Redondo. It looks like shit!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

cardiver wrote:
wallyc72 wrote:

Speaking of junk......I'd love to know who tied all of that ugly drainage pipe to the pipe boat at Redondo. It looks like shit!

Ron,
Stuff like that makes me so mad. Why do people think it is OK to put stuff in the water. If you want to remove it let me know I will help you.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

wallyc72 wrote:
cardiver wrote:
wallyc72 wrote:

Ron,
Stuff like that makes me so mad. Why do people think it is OK to put stuff in the water. If you want to remove it let me know I will help you.
Have you seen it? Two huge bundles of black and white drainage pipe standing vertically and tied to the se side of the boat...
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

I have not seen it. But I'm up for removing it.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I'd be up for removing it too (I hate folks littering in the Sound), but do be aware that critters have already moved in. In fact, this past weekend, it was one of the few sites WITH critters at Redondo. So now that they have made a home out of it, we should probably leave it be.
Kelly