Camano Island

General banter about diving and why we love it.
zekethesheik
Just Settling In

Camano Island

Post by zekethesheik »

Any good dives off Camano? I lived on the island in the 70's and don't remember any dive activity.. Anything to see?

Thanks
Blaiz
Pelagic

Re: Camano Island

Post by Blaiz »

onamac reef, happy-face wall, couple of nice dives, mostly need a boat for them, methinks
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Dove the park once down on the SW side. Got to acknowledge it's about the lamest dive I've ever been on---yes, ever.
Having said that 3-Tree at some times lives up to that incredibly low standard. I've also had some of my best dives at 3-Tree.
Diving can just be that way.
Over all I don't hear of people clamoring to go to Camano for diving.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

Done Cama beach & access makes it just not worth it. I do Camano Island state park maybe 10 times a year. I like the access there since you can practically park on the beach & in the summer when the kelp is in bloom, the diving can actually be pretty awesome. You need to plan slack. Current can pull through here pretty hard. I consider this more of a fish geek site. If you know what to look for & where to look, you can find some real treasures. It's not like a Deception Pass dive where you get critter & color overload. I live in Stanwood-just south of actually off Marine Drive so if I'm limited to how much time I can spend traveling & just HAVE TO GET WET, It's too convenient to pass up. It's also a beautifull park so if the rest of the family doesnt want to dive, they can hang out & enjoy nature.
I recomend you give it a shot but again, optimal viewing time is when you see kelp floating on the surface.
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"