Fellow Divers, I need your help

General banter about diving and why we love it.
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Fellow Divers, I need your help

Post by coach_izzy »

What is up ladies and gents!

As you know, the dive and travel expo is around the corner and excitment is building up. Looking forward to meeting many of you there.

I will be presenting a seminar on Saturday April 9th at 4:00 pm. The topic is "Fitness and the Diver, why we love it and how to love it more" If there is a chance, I might present it again on Sunday 10th at 11:00 am.

Now, while I have the presentation lined up, nothing beats getting the input of the audience to fine tune the content and this is where I need your help:

Are there any particular topics or areas of concern you would like me to address? What excites you most about fitness? What bugs you most?

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome! I will be at Booth 106 "Kettlebells for a Fit Diver" to answer your questions.

I look forward to seeing you and my gratitude in advance.
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
"A fit diver is a safer diver and a better buddy"
In Pain?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Fellow Divers, I need your help

Post by Grateful Diver »

Coach! I'll be sure to stop by. What bugs me the most about fitness? Well, I work so hard at fitness and always seem to end up with fatness ... the downside is that working out makes me hungry ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

Excellent topic Bob! That is a significant topic and confusing topic in the fitness community and I will be more than happy to add it to my presentation. Thank you so much.

Any other ideas? Much appreciated!
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
In Pain?
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Bugs Me:
>"A 30 minute walk three times a week is enough".
>Fitness expressed as a one size fits all thing. Different activities demand different kinds of fitness.
>Age related criteria instead of task related.
>Fitness is painless. Not so.

Emphasize:
>Fitness is a lifestyle and perishable commodity, not something to achieve and forget.
>Your unfit friends and aquaintences often your biggest obstacle in achieving and maintaining fitness.

Love to see a video of your presentation.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

ArcticDiver wrote:>Your unfit friends and aquaintences often your biggest obstacle in achieving and maintaining fitness.
Thank you, all your points are excellent and the last one is tremendous but seldom touched as it gets rather controversial. I'll definitely bring it up and thank you again.

Holler!
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
In Pain?
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Strangely, diving has never struck me as a sport that requires fitness. I don't think I'll be able to make it to your presentation but I would be interested to hear your reasoning. Maybe you'd be interested in starting a thread topic about it here on NWDC for those of us who can't attend the dive Expo?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

coach_izzy wrote:
ArcticDiver wrote:>Your unfit friends and aquaintences often your biggest obstacle in achieving and maintaining fitness.
Thank you, all your points are excellent and the last one is tremendous but seldom touched as it gets rather controversial. I'll definitely bring it up and thank you again.

Holler!
Pretty well established concept in other behaviour change endeavours. And that is what we are talking about here, obtaining and maintaining fitness for a particular sport. Those who have achieved and those who are committed to work with you to the goal are your friends. Treasure them. Those who do not fit those categories are not. No controversy about it at all except among those who would sabotage your efforts.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Hi Coach - Good to see you on the board!

Over the last 9 months I've lost 90 pounds and have been have incorporated exercise into my daily life. Here are my observations on how my diving has benefitted.....
- I've gone from using 30 lbs of lead to 22 lbs.
- My SAC/RMV is at least 30% lower than it was when I was heavier
- I don't suffer from post dive fatigue like I used to
- It's much easier to get in and out of the water and do long surface swims

On the down side without the natural insulation I freeze my butt off on long dives.
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Strangely, diving has never struck me as a sport that requires fitness. I don't think I'll be able to make it to your presentation but I would be interested to hear your reasoning. Maybe you'd be interested in starting a thread topic about it here on NWDC for those of us who can't attend the dive Expo?
True, diving itself is an activity for which we want as little exertion as possible to extend our bottom times. For what is worth, efficiency in diving is more the result of skill development and practice rather than physical fitness, and that is not the aspect I address. The transition of environments and on-land demands though, they are a whole different animal. Hauling heavy gear, dealing with uneven terrain, shaky boats, or situations requiring self-rescue or rescueing one of our teammates, they all benefit from higher levels of physical fitness. In addition, the literature has shown a strong correlation between excessive adipose tissue and higher incidences of DCS. Those are the aspects that I address.

Even if you cannot attend the presentation please stop by booth 106 to say hi. I look forward to meeting you!
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
In Pain?
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

ArcticDiver wrote:
coach_izzy wrote:

Holler!
.. No controversy about it at all except among those who would sabotage your efforts.
Excellent point but the controversy I am referring to is that 9 times out of 10, the saboteur happens to be a loved one or significant other and bringing the subject results in tears, frustration, and anger. Sometimes I feel fore like a shrink than a strength coach, hey, never a boring day at the office! Thanks very much again.
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
In Pain?
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

BillZ wrote:Hi Coach - Good to see you on the board!

Over the last 9 months I've lost 90 pounds and have been have incorporated exercise into my daily life. Here are my observations on how my diving has benefitted.....
- I've gone from using 30 lbs of lead to 22 lbs.
- My SAC/RMV is at least 30% lower than it was when I was heavier
- I don't suffer from post dive fatigue like I used to
- It's much easier to get in and out of the water and do long surface swims

On the down side without the natural insulation I freeze my butt off on long dives.
Hey Bill! How ya doing buddy?

Man, those are some impressive numbers you have there and congratulations. Quietly but certainly you will inspire (if you are not doing so already) other divers and show them it can be done. I am sure your example will change many lives for the better.
I think losing some of the natural insulation is a good trade off. Nothing a pair of undergarments won't solve. Congratulations, please stop by if you are the convention and I look forward to diving with you.
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
In Pain?
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

coach_izzy wrote:
ArcticDiver wrote:
coach_izzy wrote:

Holler!
.. No controversy about it at all except among those who would sabotage your efforts.
Excellent point but the controversy I am referring to is that 9 times out of 10, the saboteur happens to be a loved one or significant other and bringing the subject results in tears, frustration, and anger. Sometimes I feel fore like a shrink than a strength coach, hey, never a boring day at the office! Thanks very much again.

Oh, OK. My experience with the numbers is a bit difference. But we are definitely on the same page.

it is funny that if the problem is drug addiction the family can often be part of the intervention and cure. But, if the problem is weight or fitness family and friends can be your worst enemy. It seems misery loves company, eh?