Evening at Alki

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Evening at Alki

Post by Chenari »

So Dad and I went for a dive at Cove 2 yesterday with a good friend of ours who promised to take us right to the mama Octo. And boy did he deliver. This would be my first mama octo ever, as mom and dad have already seen this lovely lady, so needless to say, I was hyped. True to his word, our buddy took us right to mama while hardly slowing down, but I managed to snag us a couple of pretty leopards in the midst of what I can only call a kiss.
IMG_3118.JPG
And dad stopped us for a moment for a good sized Red Irish Lord.
IMG_3120.JPG
But not long after, we got to mama, and wow was it a beautiful sight, even looking at it upside down, it was beautiful.Image
After a few moments, I righted myself and decided to get a few snapshots.
IMG_3123.JPG
Now, dad and I noticed something when we were looking at this last picture. Looking at the eggs, we noticed these small uniform purpleish spots on each egg, is it just us, or are those baby octo eyes?
IMG_3124.JPG
And just for fun, I headed around back behind the den and got a really great look at just how big her brood is.
IMG_3126.JPG
After that, we meandered on over in the direction of the Honeybear, found ourselves a few buddies along the way.

A young Ratfish
IMG_3130.JPG
A nice little flatfish.
IMG_3131.JPG
A lonely little Striped Armina
IMG_3133.JPG
And not one, but THREE Diamondback Tritonias, one of which looks like someone tried to take a bite out of it
IMG_3140.JPG
IMG_3146.JPG
IMG_3147.JPG
IMG_3148.JPG
A nice little Warbonnet
IMG_3153.JPG
And to top it all off, the biggest damned Octo any of us have ever seen. This guy was so big that he completely filled the back of the 'cave' under the Honeybear. I squeezed myself into the space as best I could, got as close as I could, knew I could never get a clear shot with regular camera mode, so I switched into video and took a short vid. It's not much, the quality is crap, but I think it shows how big he was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-wAkwLl9U

After that, we had to head on back up, I had a ton of buoyancy difficulties that dive and couldn't take any more pictures, though to be honest, I didn't see much else after that. Even so, it was still a great dive and I would love to go back at night to see what's out there.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Evening at Alki

Post by H20doctor »

your pictures are really nice.... and the gpo on eggs is a great find... thanks for sharing
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen