Way out past the Alki Pipeline

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Way out past the Alki Pipeline

Post by Chenari »

So tried to go to the Alki Pipeline today, but unfortunately, we arrived at a very low tide, so my buddy and I were walking even out past the buoy. But we were hankerin' for a dive, so we headed out to where we could drop and decided to see what was out there. We found some lovely eelgrass beds with plenty of bugs in em, as well as a few other critters. Might notice the quality is a little below average, but considering the deepest we only got was 12 feet, buoyancy was a little off, and every time I stopped moving, my feet tried to drag me to the surface lol.
IMG_3174.JPG
IMG_3178.JPG
IMG_3179.JPG
IMG_3181.JPG
I don't know what this guy is, he wasn't in my copy of Lamb & Handby. Someone really needs to publish a book devoted to Jellyfish. This was the best shot I got, as we were both kinda wandering in the water. You can't see it very well, but he's got four lobes. He was about three inches long.
IMG_3183.JPG
Out past the eelgrass, we found these guys just absolutely covering the algae on the sand. I went through out book, but found nothing. Any ideas anyone?
IMG_3194.JPG
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: Way out past the Alki Pipeline

Post by Scubak »

They are some type of a Nudi. Perhaps a juvenile?
Hope someone else chimes in.
K
"Let's go diving!"
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

there were some adult shaggy brown mouse nudi's out there last time... maybe they are baby shaggy's :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Post by Chenari »

Lol could be a possibility. Maybe we should find some Shaggy mouse eggs and hatch em to find out. :supz:
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Chenari wrote:Lol could be a possibility. Maybe we should find some Shaggy mouse eggs and hatch em to find out. :supz:
Okay, but it's your turn to sit on them!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Post by Chenari »

So anyone have any idea what the Jellyfish might be? Or maybe a positive ID on the nudibranch?
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Keeping in mind I'm neither a jelly-person or slugophile, the only jelly I know of with lots of red eyes around the margin like that is Polyorchis penicillatus. And the slugs look like Eubranchus rupium.
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Post by Chenari »

I'm not sure either one is right, Greg. As far as the Jellyfish, the knob on top looked like a natural part of the fish, so I'm putting that in as an important part of the Identification. And as far as the nudibranch, the pictures I'm finding on Google don't look right to me. For one, they don't have that frosted glass look the ones I found do, cause every single one I found had a ton of white speckles all over the cerata.

Now, I found another Nudibranch I believe to be the same species on a second unsuccessful dive (Never going back to the Pipeline again after that) among some seaweed, and I believe it to be the same as the ones I found on the ground, so I'm hoping these images might help ID it. And in the lower right corner, that's the tip of my glove for size reference.
IMG_3217.JPG
IMG_3215.JPG
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I agree it doesn't look like the ones on the web (which are mostly from Europe) but your critter does look like the picture in Behren's book, and he says "cerata are frosted white with green cores".

Like I said before though, I'm not a slugophile (nor do I play one on TV)
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Greg Jensen wrote:I agree it doesn't look like the ones on the web (which are mostly from Europe) but your critter does look like the picture in Behren's book, and he says "cerata are frosted white with green cores".

Like I said before though, I'm not a slugophile (nor do I play one on TV)
Eubranchus rupium was my first thought, based especially on Behrens. Obviously, my daughter doesn't agree, but it's her prerogative to be wrong :angelblue:
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com