BIG Skate at Cove 2

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Chenari
Dive-aholic

BIG Skate at Cove 2

Post by Chenari »

Went for an afternoon/evening dive at Alki Cove 2 today, though down around 50fsw, it may as well have been a night dive it was so dark. We had to end the dive early, due to being separated from our buddy, but that wasn't before the three of us got a wonderful look at this gigantic beauty! He had to be at least two and a half feet long in wingspan.

http://blip.tv/yetanotherreviewshow/big ... er-5180352
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: BIG Skate at Cove 2

Post by ljjames »

nice vid! props for getting it in such adverse conditions... (vis was less than ideal)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
seaphilia
Avid Diver

Post by seaphilia »

Very cool find and good video. The Pipeline is the only place that I have seen one in the Sound.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I saw two of them once at Cove 2 ... a few years back when DSteding and Pez were doing their AOW class. Vis was about 40 feet that day ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Wonderful video. They are such a magnificent fish that I seldom see. Dozens of egg cases were near Navigational Beacon #1 west of Everett last winter, but no fish were seen on the dive. While watching whales from my sailboat at the same spot last week, a sea lion surfaced with a huge skate in its mouth. The skate put up a good fight, but the sea lion won. Here is an egg case I saw at Mukilteo recently.
Mermaid'sPurse1.JPG
Thanks for sharing.
- Curt
Happy to be alive.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nice work! Really good for our wonderful viz right now.
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Post by Chenari »

oldsalt wrote:While watching whales from my sailboat at the same spot last week, a sea lion surfaced with a huge skate in its mouth. The skate put up a good fight, but the sea lion won.
Wow, I would have loved to see Sea Lion Vs. Skate, I'm sure that was something to behold. Never seen an Egg Case in person, though.

This guy was the first Skate of any kind that we've seen since one of our first dives at the Oil Dock. Though we still haven't seen any Longnose Skates.
Dusty2 wrote:Nice work! Really good for our wonderful viz right now.
An Intova light can do wonders even in the darkest and gunkiest of Viz. :supz:
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Nice! I saw a huge one like that at Three Tree a few years ago but we were down at 150' at the time. They are so cool!
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

awesome video! I've only seen one of these in the last 7 yrs!
Dan Hershman :smt024