Critter Identification Help Please

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
citycatred
Submariner

Critter Identification Help Please

Post by citycatred »

Hey guys and gals,
I'm working on a project for my Biology class that has to do with the identification of Marine vertebrate/invertebrate species. So far I've been doing pretty good with identifying the pictures I've taken, but now I'm stuck and I'd love your help...
I'm thinking this is a Fat garper (Tresus capax)
I'm thinking this is a Fat garper (Tresus capax)
Was originally thinking fishing eating anemone (Urticina piscivora) or sand anemone (Urticina columbiana<br />)
Was originally thinking fishing eating anemone (Urticina piscivora) or sand anemone (Urticina columbiana
)
Not even sure...I'm starting to hate anenomes...
Not even sure...I'm starting to hate anenomes...
Last one...some sort of sponge...
Last one...some sort of sponge...
I think I'm doing pretty good seeing that out of 87 photos these were the only ones I had issues with...
Thank you for your help :)
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Re: Critter Identification Help Please

Post by Chenari »

Not sure about the first and the last two, but the second one is a Rose Anemone.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Chenari wrote:Not sure about the first and the last two, but the second one is a Rose Anemone.
Urticina piscivora if you're keeping score :angelblue:

I don't know for sure, but I think the last one is actually tubeworms of some sort.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

correct on the fat gaper. The first anemone is Urticina columbiana (piscivora have shorter tentacles and are never in sand), the second a small Metridium (probably senile). Don't know the yellow sponge though.
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Okay, I lied. Last one I need help with
IMG_0035.JPG
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Based on the dual barbels at the corner of the mouth, I'm going to guess smoothhead sculpin, Artedius lateralis. But it could be a padded sculpin. I don't think it's a tidepool sculpin because the shape of the snout doesn't match, but that's as close as I can get. Greg?????
Dave

--
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

looks like a male scalyhead- if you magnify the head you can see the cirri by the eyes.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Greg Jensen wrote:looks like a male scalyhead- if you magnify the head you can see the cirri by the eyes.
I tried to magnify it in Photoshop but didn't see the cirri. Then again, I'm not that proficient at doing such things in Photoshop. I also don't really see the three stripes in the eye, but that could be the angle. You're the sculpin expert so I will defer to your identification :notworthy:
Dave

--
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Thank you very much for your help :)
Cynthia Heimel
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

For the last pic I posted that was a sponge of some sort, do you think a Glove Sponge Neoesperiopsis digitata may fit it? It could be a small one....
Cynthia Heimel