One year later.

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Blaiz
Pelagic

One year later.

Post by Blaiz »

Well today is the one year anniversary since Curtis/Dashrynn/Sharkbait took me out for my first dive out of open water. (I miss you Curtis!) The sense of excitement and wonder that I felt then has not diminished. Being able to write these reports and take pictures to illustrate them has turned out to be very personally rewarding. Your comments are always so much fun to read, and the diary of my dives is a great way to recall those memories.

Today, I went diving and made a new friend in anndornfeld(Ann). She sent me a PM suggesting we do a dive this weekend, and she even agreed to come up to Whidbey and try out Driftwood! Fantastic! I was very excited, but really felt the pressure, since I haven't been fully responsible for sharing a favored dive site with someone else before (I didn't want to totally come across as a flake and the dive as suck). Meeting up just past eleven, we exchanged greetings, compared notes, and prepped gear. I had mentioned that I could not be held responsible for anything the current might do at Driftwood, even observed to Ann that twice, I had shared a current-free dive here with Karl, and once I even dove it when the current ran backwards. I further mentioned that here was where Curtis and I saw (and chased with his scooter) a beautiful dogfish shark one day. There is one bonus about Driftwood: if the vis sucks on top, it's gonna suck all the way to the bottom, and if it's great up top, it's great all the way down. Today, it sucked. We entered at low tide, and I began heading down the slope. We easily found our first pile of tires, and I began to shine the awesome light that H2Odoctor made for me around looking for something to look at. No dice on the first tire pile.

I checked a few spots where I've seen wolf eels in the past, but found nothing. I did see a colony of slime worms, and pointed them out to my guest, but slime worms, after all, are Slimey Worms...just not exciting. We saw a Cockerel's dorid on the side of a tire and I was beginning to wonder whether anything would show up and make the dive worthwhile. I moved to another tire pile, and carefully checked the breadcrumb sponge to see if there were nudis on it (no) and while there, saw some beautiful tube worms.
2011_07030001 (Medium).JPG
There was no current at all this dive. We were free to move about as we pleased. I was amazed at the timing, but certainly not complaining about it. Looking up from the tube worms, I glanced left at my buddy, right at some rockfish, and checked ahead of me. I found myself staring into the eyes of a dogfish shark who was staring at me. Awesome! I brought up the camera and the shark was gone. :penelope: I signaled my buddy and made the shark sign. She kind of looked at me, then looked around, saw no shark, and went back to whatever she was photographing. I swear the shark was there. Oh well. I continued on and was amused by this shot setup. I'm not sure whether to award kudos for excellent camouflage or take points away for forgetting a major detail.
2011_07030013 (Medium).JPG
When I looked up from taking that shot, I found myself staring into the eyes of a dogfish shark who was staring at me. As soon as he saw me see him, he was gone. YOU BASTARD! :angry: My buddy was cruising slowly along taking photos, and she didn't believe me about the shark the first time, so I opened all the f-stops and apertures and stuff and settled down to wait for that shark. A herd of black rockfish came streaming at and past me. Like, a herd, running from a predator, say, a shark. Alll righty, c'mere shark, I got you this time. The rockfish streamed past, and past, a few stragglers, no shark. Ugh. Whatever. I put my camera back on macro, reset all the buttons, and went looking for something to photograph. Next time I looked up, I found myself staring into the eyes of a damn dogfish shark who refused to hold still for pictures. Yep, three times he came to check us out, and three times he was gone as soon as he was seen.

I still hadn't found any octopus or wolf eels for Ann, so I made a little more effort and checked out a tire. Yay! there was a little orange head sticking out, and as soon as she got close, the head vanished. Sigh. Three tires on, I found another curious head, and quickly waved her over. This one not only didn't tuck back in as we approached, look what he did! I felt almost bad for him though, he was obviously confused, circling around his tire instead of running awaaaayy. After a brief encounter he was able to slip back into his tire. Way to produce the good stuff, Driftwood!
2011_07030017 (Medium).JPG
A large clump of seaweed turned out to be covering one of the toilets, and Ann shined her light at me. I'm thinking that if something that looked like this ever showed up in my toilet, I'd faint.
2011_07030025 (Medium).JPG
Coming to the end of the dive, we headed up, noticing that the current had begun to pick up, in a serious way. And it was running backwards. On the surface interval I observed that my previous mention of weird currents included backwards currents and no currents, and my previous mention of weird animals included sharks and wolf eels. And all of those happened. I looked at the water, and shouted LUMPSUCKER! LUMPSUCKER! and back in we went. Having only done one dive on the backward current, I was less familiar with the area, but we did get swept into a large bottle field. There were several old-looking bottles, but most of them were broken. I paused when I noticed suckers inside one clear bottle.
2011_07030037 (Medium).JPG
The sun had come out while we were up top, and I'd had high hopes for a brighter dive, but the vis deteriorated to make up for the brightness. While staying close together, and kind of just going along for a rather boring ride, I glanced down and realized we were being followed by a foot-long squid. *boggle* Quickly I grabbed Ann and we swung around to check this out. My squid sank to the bottom and turned into an octopus colored a bright reddish purple. The octopus was checking us out intently. He crawled under a kelp leaf, then right back out, moving towards us, extending his tentacle, and never losing that bright, bright color. I was stunned. Then I heard noise to my right, and a bunch of divers carrying some sort of pvc thing came blundering past. The awesome octopus was obliterated in a massive cloud of silt. Thanks, fellas. Escaping from the cloud, Ann and I continued our (boring but for a couple ratfish) dive. When we surfaced, she got to enjoy the long walk back to the beach. After talking a while while packing our stuff, Ann went home to the accompaniment of singing birds and sunshine. I'm glad she came out to visit!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: One year later.

Post by LCF »

We saw a Cockerel's dorid on the side of a tire and I was beginning to wonder whether anything would show up and make the dive worthwhile.
Okay, what this makes clear is that you are not a slugnut. The two dives I've seen Cockerel's dorids, I've done the happy dance around them, and the rest of the dive was just gravy.

There is nothing for "growing up" as a diver, like taking responsibility for someone else . . . whether it's taking out a new diver, or taking someone to a site they have never seen before, it really makes you step up and assess what you can do, and what you feel comfortable with. When you realize you feel great about taking someone you don't know for a tour of a place THEY don't know, you realize just how far you have come. Been there, did that . . . it feels great, doesn't it?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

LOL, Lynn, it does feel good :)

and, you need to come north more
2011_0326cameranew0068 (Medium).JPG
this picture was from march, i got another in april, saw one in june, and today's was laying some teensy little pink eggs :luv:
The student was ready.

ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Yay Blaiz!! One of these days, I'm going to head north so you can show ME around. :)
Kelly
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Blaiz wrote:Well today is the one year anniversary since Curtis/Dashrynn/Sharkbait took me out for my first dive out of open water. (I miss you Curtis!)!
I still remember those dives, you were soaken wet from the knees down since your neck seal was loose. We had a longgggg shallow dive at the Rosario beach site. I think You hugged me and thanked me for taking you out or something. Also the first and only time I ever saw a crab come on shore and not want to leave.

How many dives are you up to now? We do about 5-7 dives a week down here.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Dashrynn wrote:
Blaiz wrote:Well today is the one year anniversary since Curtis/Dashrynn/Sharkbait took me out for my first dive out of open water. (I miss you Curtis!)!
I still remember those dives, you were soaken wet from the knees down since your neck seal was loose. We had a longgggg shallow dive at the Rosario beach site. I think You hugged me and thanked me for taking you out or something. Also the first and only time I ever saw a crab come on shore and not want to leave.

How many dives are you up to now? We do about 5-7 dives a week down here.
180ish. you suck. find me a job and I'll move in.
The student was ready.

gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Congrats on year one Kriss. Hopefully there will be many more years to come.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

If these were boring dives, Kriss, please invite me back on a low exchange day!
Cockerell's dorid (Laila cockerelli) 2.jpg
I'd make the trek just to see a Cockerell's dorid. (The low-current sites we have in Seattle don't offer too many of those.) Plus I discovered baby sculpins (Red Irish lord? They were everywhere, too) in photo after photo - dwarfed by hulking critters like chitons and coonstripes!
Chiton and baby sculpin.jpg
Anyone know what these are? Some kind of social ascidians?
Colony.jpg
Before the silt-out, it was good to make yet another new dive buddy.
Red octopus (Octopus rubescens).jpg
A gorgeous day for diving on Whidbey.

Cheers, Kriss! And happy dive-iversary.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

excellent! you got a good shot of the little pink eggs the cockerells was laying :) I didnt know they a) have pink eggs and b) don't put them in a ribbon like so many other nudis do
The student was ready.

oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Anyone know what these are? Some kind of social ascidians?

They sure look like squid eggs to me.
- Curt
Happy to be alive.
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

Cool, Curt! Thanks for the ID.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

oldsalt wrote:Anyone know what these are? Some kind of social ascidians?
They sure look like squid eggs to me.
- Curt
I dove the Driftwood Park today, some of the tires are covered with them, but they look like snail eggs to me, too small for squid. I know, hard to judge the size from the photo .. Then again, I might be wrong ...
Dogwinkle is my guess ...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

I think the eggs were about 3/4" to an inch long, if memory (and the refractive index) serves.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I was wrong. Sorry. I did misjudge the size. Squid eggs are about 5 inches long. I will always defer to Jan. :notworthy:
- Curt #-o
Happy to be alive.
jaewad
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Do I have the right Blaiz?

Post by jaewad »

Hi, this is Jerad just making sure I hooked up with the right Blaiz.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Re: Do I have the right Blaiz?

Post by Blaiz »

jaewad wrote:Hi, this is Jerad just making sure I hooked up with the right Blaiz.
yep yep, good job sir!
The student was ready.