Galapagos Trip Photos

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Galapagos Trip Photos

Post by SeattleYates »

I just returned from a wonderful trip to the Galapagos Islands. It was really my first diving since having major surgery a few months ago, and it was a great way to get back in the water! You can jump right to my PHOTO GALLERY http://www.underwaterreflections.com/ga ... 03_GKNxBMX if you want, or you can read about the trip on my BLOG http://bruceyates.blogspot.com/.

Water was particularly cold for our visit, with temps in the mid-50's on many of our dives in the southern islands. That is similar to some summer temps here in Puget Sound! In fact, most of us wished we had brought our dry suits or thicker (e.g., 7mm, perhaps with two layers!) wetsuits! The good news is that cooler water temps seem to bring big sea creatures closer to the surface, so we saw tons of amazing stuff. Only one whale shark (at Wolf Island), but hammerhead sharks were plentiful on almost every dive, and surprisingly shallow - even at depths of 30-40 feet! In this photo (Invasion of the Hammerheads!), about twenty of them came rushing through our group while we were watching spotted eagle rays glide past:
Bruce Yates
Photography: http://www.UnderwaterReflections.com
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Galapagos Trip Photos

Post by Tangfish »

AWESOME!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Beautiful fotos, sounds like a great trip, and sounds like one should bring their drysuit!

Did they have steel tanks of a larger size available or were you stuck with al 80's?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yes, I'd love to hear more details about the trip -- what operator/boat did you go with? What was the approximate cost? What tanks and gas did you dive? What were the profiles? How bad were the currents?

I've put the Galapagos way down on the bucket list because of high currents, but those hammerhead photos could make me rethink the whole thing :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Post by SeattleYates »

Tom Nic wrote:Beautiful fotos, sounds like a great trip, and sounds like one should bring their drysuit!

Did they have steel tanks of a larger size available or were you stuck with al 80's?
Tom,

While drysuits are usually not necessary (I was there in 2002 and the lowest temps were mid-to-high 60's), that's certainly the safest option, although I'd recommend wet gloves (preferably kevlar), not dry gloves, since you have to hold on to the jagged lava rock (with razor sharp mussels growing on them) quite often, and it would tear a hole in rubber dry gloves pretty quickly.

The boat I was on (Deep Blue) offered ONLY aluminum 80's, so I took my 30cf pony and had them fill it every dive. Also, they only offered nitrox 32 or air. Not sure if any other boats offer bigger tanks or not. I find that most liveaboards I've been on can arrange for larger tanks with advance request/notice, but when I requested them for this boat, was told that large tanks are hard to come by in the Galapagos, so they don't offer that as an option. Apparently there's enough demand that they can fill the boats there without having to offer anything special.
Bruce Yates
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Post by SeattleYates »

LCF wrote:Yes, I'd love to hear more details about the trip -- what operator/boat did you go with? What was the approximate cost? What tanks and gas did you dive? What were the profiles? How bad were the currents?

I've put the Galapagos way down on the bucket list because of high currents, but those hammerhead photos could make me rethink the whole thing :)
I booked through Dom at Dive Advice, who offers liveaboards all over the world (Go to http://www.diveadvice.com/ and subscribe to his newsletter at the top), and have nothing but good things to say about him. I actually did a charter of the boat, Deep Blue, which I had chartered for my dive group a couple of years ago (and then wasn't able to go myself!) and everyone loved it. It's a good boat with nice cabins and a good dive operation, but the food was sub-par on this trip. I'd be comfortable diving on the Aggressor or Peter Hughes boats there, though, as they have a good reputation as well. Whatever boat you go on, go during "whale shark season," which is July through October. Although we only saw one whale shark (my first!), most trips this time of year see lots of them at Darwin Island (my group saw them on 14 dives in two weeks when they went in Oct. a couple of years ago).

You'll find that Galapagos liveaboards are more expensive than almost anywhere else in the world. For a 10 night/11 day charter like ours on Deep Blue, the cost is around $6,200, or $620/night - roughly double what you'd pay for many liveaboards in places like Indonesia. ANd that's just for the boat - airfare, hotel in Quito, etc. is on top of that. It's a once in a lifetime trip, but you PAY big to have the experience.

I addressed the gas/tank question in my answer to Tom's post. Almost all dives were less than 100 fsw, and typically we didn't go below 70 fsw. On one dive, a couple of people went to 120 fsw to see red-lipped batfish, but that was really unusual. The cool life was fairly shallow, and we wanted to see the rays, hammerheads, and whale sharks, all of which were typically above 70 fsw. IOW, all definitely recreational depths. NOTE: depth of hammerheads can vary significantly depending on water temps and currents; on my 2002 trip there, most of them were below 100 fsw due to warm temps on the surface (they like cool water).

Currents are a legitimate concern, and Galapagos diving is definitely for advanced divers only - beginners should NOT consider going. Having said that, anyone who's done 100+ dives in Puget Sound is likely going to be able to dive there, as our currents around here can be just as troublesome. The key is to be fully aware/comfortable with buoyancy in unpredictable currents (Galapagos has vertical as well as horizontal water flows), and be a strong enough kicker to be able to hold your own in moderate current. We only had a few dives in the Galapagos (notably at Roca Redonda) where the current was simply unmanageable and the dives were a constant struggle, but there was some current and we were kicking throughout the dive on almost every dive (that's what brings in lots of the fish and other stuff you want to see!).

So...if you're a reasonably experienced diver in Puget Sound waters, feel totally comfortable with your buoyancy skills, and have the money to afford it, diving in the Galapagos is definitely a fabulous experience!

HTH,
Bruce Yates