Wolf Eels on Eggs

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dphershman
Aquanaut

Wolf Eels on Eggs

Post by dphershman »

Last edited by dphershman on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Hershman :smt024
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Wolf Eels on Eggs

Post by Tom Nic »

Great find! Thanks for sharing...

I have yet to see this - do Wolfies breed year round or certain times of the year like Ling Cod?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Tom Nic wrote:Great find! Thanks for sharing...

I have yet to see this - do Wolfies breed year round or certain times of the year like Ling Cod?
The only time I've ever seen them on eggs is at the end of October. Don Coleman said those eggs had been there about three weeks. You can see little eye spots on them if you look closely.

I just looked this up in the new Milton Love book on fish and he states that they spawn from October to January and that the eggs take 13-16 weeks to hatch. So it looks like mom and dad will be busy for awhile!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The only ones I have ever seen were in Dec. and early Jan. By mid Jan they were gone. So That would be about right for late Dec. or early Jan. Wouldn't that be a coo to be there when it happens? Wow Nice work Dan
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Great find! Thanks for sharing the photo.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Very cool! I've never seen wolfie eggs before. I'd love to see them hatch!
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Oregon Field Guide (a production of Oregon Public Broadcasting) aired this segment a while back about breeding wolf eels at the Oregon Coast Aquarium- pretty interesting stuff:

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1630
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Furnari wrote:Oregon Field Guide (a production of Oregon Public Broadcasting) aired this segment a while back about breeding wolf eels at the Oregon Coast Aquarium- pretty interesting stuff:

Where is a "like" button when you need one? Thanks for sharing the video with us!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Furnari wrote:Oregon Field Guide (a production of Oregon Public Broadcasting) aired this segment a while back about breeding wolf eels at the Oregon Coast Aquarium- pretty interesting stuff:

Very cool video! Thank you
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

That was an excellent video! Thank you.

-Mathue
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

that was an awesome video! so cute!

I'm a little confused though, would taking momma and daddy out and sticking them in the plain boring tank (maybe with a hideyhole or two) make them stop caring for the egg mass? or would it be just too hard on their psyche?
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

yes, very cool video! I can say that the behavior that I saw in the wolf eel den was exactly that described. The egg mass was the same size and shape too.
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Blaiz wrote: I'm a little confused though, would taking momma and daddy out and sticking them in the plain boring tank (maybe with a hideyhole or two) make them stop caring for the egg mass? or would it be just too hard on their psyche?
Hi Blaiz,

Moving them to a non-community tank would probably not be a problem from a pure husbandry point of view. Moving them back and forth between their present home and a 'maternity' tank would almost certainly be stressful. Consider that these guys choose a den at somewhere between age 4 and 7 and then don't move out unless they are forced out by something bigger & badder (a GPO or another wolf). That, coupled with a lifespan of 30 to 35 years, describes a fish that values stability!

Even if stress on the fish wasn't a consideration, remember that the aquarium is a business and that the wolfies are a featured exhibit - moving them to the back room could hurt the gate!

Moving them permanently to a naturalistic species tank would work except that collecting the newborns can be really hard in such a tank.

Gestationally yours,

Alex