NW Dive Sites; Better or Worse over time?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: NW Dive Sites; Better or Worse over time?

Post by oldsalt »

BASSMAN wrote:For the record, I dive almost every week and I have not a 6 Gill yet!
Bassman: I have been diving much longer, dive frequently, and have yet to see a 6-gill. Several trips to Hornby Island, Tyler Rock in Barkley Sound, and trips down to Cove 2 for night dives where a sighting was "guaranteed", failed to produce the mythical beast. On the plus side, these were all good dives, although I arrived at work pretty tired after the night dives. Also, I have seen a salmon shark, a much rarer sighting around here.
Keep looking!
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Jeff Pack wrote:Is there a good dive there?
Well that depends on who you ask.
It is a current sensitive site and needs to be dove when the exchange and current is low.
There are two huge rock piles and some other artificial structures there.
I've only dove it a few times and have had a couple of great dives there.
Some would say, "it's not worth the surface swim"
The Rock piles and structure(beams) have only been ther for a few years, So I think it is gradually becoming a better dive site as the years go by.
My biggest problem is, when the exchange and currents are low, there are some other, great sites, like Sunrise, Day Island Wall, Fox Island - East Wall or even Titlow that are guaranteed to be better than Salt Water State Park. At least for now.
oldsalt wrote: I have been diving much longer, dive frequently, and have yet to see a 6-gill. Several trips to Hornby Island, Tyler Rock in Barkley Sound, and trips down to Cove 2 for night dives where a sighting was "guaranteed", failed to produce the mythical beast.
-Curt :rawlings:
50 years of diving! And no sighting of a 6 Gill? Oh man, I'm going to give up looking and just hope I accidentally cross paths with one some day.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Bassman- I have come to believe that we just see whatever the scuba gods have in mind for us that day. When I saw the two Goliath groupers on the Spiegel Grove in Florida- I was floored and just looked at my dive buddy (wife-Dea) in awe. The lost blue hole in the Bahamas treated us to hundreds of sharks that just swirled in the hole- I watched in amazement. A big GPO at Flagpole was a great subject of my video but when I took a still of him, he attached himself to me and tried to pull the camera and me into a hole. It was one of the coolest dives of my life. Maybe that is what I like about diving; I never know what it will be that day. Peaceful nothings- cool critters- sea lions zipping in for a closer look. If I see a six-gill or whale shark or Japanese mini sub- or even if I just see the regular stuff but maybe saw it a bit more or a bit differently than I did before: I will just be quietly pleased that I took the time to suit up and go have a look and wasn't disappointed that day----I know it is the same with all of you.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!