Camera-eating Octo

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dphershman
Aquanaut

Camera-eating Octo

Post by dphershman »

I did a dive at Titlow on New Years Eve, nice weather, nice viz and for a special treat I was mugged by a GPO!

Photo by Mark Nayer

We found a large octo in an opening at the bottom of some pilings. Since I had my macro lens on the camera I decided to just watch the octo. Then I looked down and found a long arm wrapping around my right strobe arm. Okay..... so I tried to gently pry the arm off, but that just got him really mad.... his mantle swelled up and he turned nearly white, both signs of aggression. I pulled a bit harder on the camera and got an even harder pull back.
Photo by Mark Nayer

i watched my strobe head disappear into the octo as he no doubt thought he had a really nice clam for lunch. By this time my buddy came to my rescue, I pulled hard and got the octo to spit it out of his 'mouth', then my buddy Andy was able to unwrap most of the arms around the camera and strobe arm. After I got the camera back the octo calmed a bit, so I was able to get off a couple of shots.

Last edited by dphershman on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Hershman :smt024
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Camera-eating Octo

Post by Jeff Pack »

nice!
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It's a bit daunting to realize just how strong those animals we approach so closely are, when they want to be! Glad you got your camera back in one piece.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

LCF wrote:It's a bit daunting to realize just how strong those animals we approach so closely are, when they want to be! Glad you got your camera back in one piece.
Yeh, That's something that is always on my mind when I approach octozilla at Point Hudson. I always watch close for those tentacles. I have no doubt that this guy could suck me into his den if he had a mind to. This is octozilla and that hole is a good 2 feet wide!
6301net.jpg
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Cool experience! Thanks for telling the story!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Tom Nic wrote:Cool experience! Thanks for telling the story!

Thanks!

While its not surprising that this fellow was curious about the camera, it was nonetheless amazing that it took to the task of stealing it with such gusto. I can only conclude that it appears that Octos really do prefer Nikon!
Last edited by dphershman on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

dphershman wrote:I scan only conclude that it appears that Octos really do prefer Nikon!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :supz:
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

I dove Titlow and harper's ferry on NYE and didn't see an octo =( I've actually yet to see one @ titlow.. where do they hide??
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

SeanKylgod wrote:I dove Titlow and harper's ferry on NYE and didn't see an octo =( I've actually yet to see one @ titlow.. where do they hide??
We frequently see them at Titlow in and around the small ledges south of the main pilings. We've often seen wolf eels there as well. This fellow was in one of the pilings at the outer dolphin, where the pilings come together to form a small A frame on the bottom. It was probably a male looking for love.

Dan