Trouble Descending

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Re: Trouble Descending

Post by Peter Guy »

I think most people may have missed a big clue in the OP's opening post:
I can only seem to get a few feet underwater and kinda stall.
Let's discuss this for a moment -- IF he can get a "few feet underwater" with the "Bob Technique", then how would he now become MORE buoyant? There are only three ways I can think of: a. He puts air into his wing; b. He puts air into his dry suit; or c. He takes a deep breath now that he is "a few feet underwater." Of course, if he is still vertical, he has probably now gone back to "happy feet" while he takes that big sigh of relief, both of which will stall him out as he has described.

OP -- I know you specifically did NOT ask for advice, but you are going to get some, the same advice one of the world's top horse trainers gave to students -- Do More Of Nothing. In other words continue to just let yourself sink -- don't kick, don't breathe too much, DO exhale completely, don't move your hands -- Do More Of Nothing.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Jeff Pack wrote:First, off, I'll preface this with I'm not asking for advice, its just a question...
I didnt want to write anything as I understood this as a rhetorical question? :lalala:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Norris wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:First, off, I'll preface this with I'm not asking for advice, its just a question...
I didnt want to write anything as I understood this as a rhetorical question? :lalala:
[sarcasm]rhetorical...is that like...rhino historical mixed in one? If so i don't get why you are talking about rhino history.[/sarcasm]
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Peter Guy wrote:I think most people may have missed a big clue in the OP's opening post:
I can only seem to get a few feet underwater and kinda stall.
Let's discuss this for a moment -- IF he can get a "few feet underwater" with the "Bob Technique", then how would he now become MORE buoyant? There are only three ways I can think of: a. He puts air into his wing; b. He puts air into his dry suit; or c. He takes a deep breath now that he is "a few feet underwater." Of course, if he is still vertical, he has probably now gone back to "happy feet" while he takes that big sigh of relief, both of which will stall him out as he has described.

OP -- I know you specifically did NOT ask for advice, but you are going to get some, the same advice one of the world's top horse trainers gave to students -- Do More Of Nothing. In other words continue to just let yourself sink -- don't kick, don't breathe too much, DO exhale completely, don't move your hands -- Do More Of Nothing.

Great post and an 'A' in physics. :thumb3d:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Dashrynn wrote:
Norris wrote:
[sarcasm]rhetorical...is that like...rhino historical mixed in one? If so i don't get why you are talking about rhino history.[/sarcasm]
I don't get it... Oh oops sorry little fellah, allow me to define that for you. I keep forgetting that you are still building your grown up talk...

The rhetorical question is usually defined as any question asked for a purpose other than to obtain the information the question asks. For example, "Why are you so stupid?" is likely to be a statement regarding one's opinion of the person addressed rather than a genuine request to know.

http://rhetoric.byu.edu/figures/r/rheto ... stions.htm
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Norris wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
Norris wrote:
I don't get it... Oh oops sorry little fellah, allow me to define that for you. I keep forgetting that you are still building your grown up talk...

The rhetorical question is usually defined as any question asked for a purpose other than to obtain the information the question asks. For example, "Why are you so stupid?" is likely to be a statement regarding one's opinion of the person addressed rather than a genuine request to know.

Well I'll be a rhino's uncle, that's what the internet is for!!!
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Norris wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
Norris wrote:

Hey Rick... I need that on a T-shirt... 2xl Black :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

[sarcasm]you guys are soooo very helpful. You need a goat[/sarcasm]
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Jeff Pack wrote:[sarcasm]you guys are soooo very helpful. You need a goat[/sarcasm]
But does the goat have a can light?
Kelly
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

can be arranged.. I was going to suggest a cat instead, but the cats know better than to carry can lights. Goats could care less, as long as you feed them.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

The answer to this delima, add more weight.. Get in 6 feet of water and descend.. If you cant.. Add more weight.. Rinse and repeat
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Jeff Pack wrote:When I dove with Bob, I could reliably get down with 30, but havent been able to since. Since I'm doing nothing different kit wise, its probabably my happy feet, and not exhaling enough.

But honestly, I like going down head first, but again thats just because its how I learned it. So its comfortable to revert back to that.

Its like ascending, I like coming up vertical, but thats how I was taught too.

I might just have to go solo dive redondo for a day, and just practice my descents/ascents at 20ft again.

thx everyone.
It's probably a case of unconscious happy feet, Jeff. But please ... when you go try to work it out, take a buddy along. Among other things, they're more likely to see what you're doing that's keeping you from descending ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Post by Beefcake »

H20doctor wrote:The answer to this delima, add more weight.. Get in 6 feet of water and descend.. If you cant.. Add more weight.. Rinse and repeat
I was taught to do this with a near-empty tank so that you don't have trouble staying submerged in shallow water at the end of the dive after the tank has become lighter (ie. safety stop).