What would I do if.....?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: What would I do if.....?

Post by Linedog »

Jeeze can I add anything to this thread? All I can say is, one, my condolences to the diver, his family and all in his life. Two, a heart felt thank you to everyone involved in the recovery. Three, I'm still a new diver (less than 1000 dives) and I try to improve every time I set fin into the water. I take constructive criticism very well, if I dive with you and I do something wrong, please tell me. I will probably talk your ear off on how and why to do it different/better. If I do something really stupid, please slap me, I'm sure I need it, then talk to me. I have not had any real emergency underwater, yet, I know I will someday, so I try to absorb all I can on how to handle one. But nothing beats real world experience, I called a dive 2 years ago on vacation on Maui. 5 caves, my wife didn't like the conditions, our 17 year old son was ready to dive it I called it. We went back last year and dove it with much better conditions, don't plan on diving it this year however. I went home that day able to dive another day. I still run "what ifs" in my head all the time.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

What's funny is the "sipping from the reg" practice in theory freaked me out the most, but in practice it was almost laughable at how easy it was.. I couldn't take my mask off without drinking water through my nose tho.. I had a hell of time with that one. A few times sitting in my hot tub with my reg draped over the side seemed to do the trick for practicing tho.

After reading all of this, it made me happy that I have practiced a lot of this and also made me want to practice more.

Free-flow
Buddy ooa
Pony free flowing
Bc donning and doffing uw
Mouthpiece falling off (i was the genius who forgot a zip tie after molding my new mouthpiece)
Wet breathing reg - what I did for this was basically took a deep breath, filled my mouth with water and burst the both through the reg and it stopped/unstuck my folded exhaust diaphragm
Panicked buddy
Corking buddy from 85fsw
Accidental ditching of an 8 pound soft weight from my rear, right bc trim pocket
Stuck bc inflator (zeagle, duh)

None of these were things I practiced, but once they happened to me, I made it a point to go over them all =P
cofford
Aquaphile

Post by cofford »

This is why I _really_ like doubles.

Have a freeflow?
1. Signal buddy
2. Shut down post
3. Switch regs
4. Done.
Powered by Puppies and Ice Cream.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

lamont wrote:So...

What would you do if your buddy needed gas?
What would you do if you bit through your mouthpiece?
What would you do if the exhaust valve on your reg let water into your mouth?
What would you do if your mouthpiece fell off?
What would you do if your LP inflator jammed on?
What would you do if your LP inflator fell off?
What would you do if (one of) your wing/BCD dumps unscrewed and came off?
What would you do if you felt panic building at depth?
What would you do if you had an emergency at depth under the water taxi lane in cove 2?
What would you do if you were at 100 feet in an Al80 with 1000 psi in the tank? ....and under the water taxi lane?
What would you do if your octo/backup was free flowing and you didn't notice it?
What would you do if your buddy kicked your mask off?
What would you do if your buddy kicked your reg out of your mouth?
What would you do if you turned around and all you could see of your buddies was a huge silt cloud?
What would you do if you drained your main tank and your pony bottle reg had been free flowing the whole dive?
What would you do if you drained your main tank and your pony bottle reg was trapped behind you and could not be deployed?
What would you do if you drained your main tank and your pony bottle had been leaking out the tank neck for the past week and you didn't know how much pressure it had in it?
What would you do if your drysuit seemed to be dumping poorly?
What do you do to get gas out of the feet of your drysuit?
What if you are low on gas and light and do not want to cork, how do you get as much gas as possible out of all your buoyancy devices?
What would you do if you put on a new undergarment without changing your weighting and started to cork from 70 feet?

And for bonus points, how would you prevent a lot of these problems before getting into the water?
Thanks Lamont ... you just gave me an idea for an AOW class exercise ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

lamont wrote:So...

Feed him Chili.
lamont wrote: What would you do if you bit through your mouthpiece?
Quit buying mouthpieces that taste like bacon.
lamont wrote: What would you do if the exhaust valve on your reg let water into your mouth?
Buy a better reg.
lamont wrote: What would you do if your mouthpiece fell off?
Save it. Do you know how rare bacon flavored mouthpieces are!?
lamont wrote: What would you do if your LP inflator jammed on?
Take away it's iPod. Damn inflators and their hippity hop music!
lamont wrote: What would you do if your LP inflator fell off?
Much like the aftermath of a bad burrito in the middle of a busy mall with lines to the bathroom, pinch it off and pray.
lamont wrote: What would you do if (one of) your wing/BCD dumps unscrewed and came off?
Pray.
lamont wrote: What would you do if you felt panic building at depth?
Hope that Panic is a hot chick.
lamont wrote: What would you do if you had an emergency at depth under the water taxi lane in cove 2?
Depends on the emergency. Slope if we can afford it, direct ascent if not. Hope the taxi noise isn't above us, as that's really going to suck.
lamont wrote: What would you do if you were at 100 feet in an Al80 with 1000 psi in the tank? ....and under the water taxi lane?
Switch from my stage back to my back gas.
lamont wrote: What would you do if your octo/backup was free flowing and you didn't notice it?
If I don't have redundancy, Sur D O2. Unless SOMEONE notices it.
lamont wrote: What would you do if your buddy kicked your mask off?
Stab my buddy.
lamont wrote: What would you do if your buddy kicked your reg out of your mouth?
Stab my buddy.
lamont wrote: What would you do if you turned around and all you could see of your buddies was a huge silt cloud?
Stow my camera, and reconsider diving with them ever again.
lamont wrote: What would you do if you drained your main tank and your pony bottle reg had been free flowing the whole dive?
Sur D O2
lamont wrote: What would you do if you drained your main tank and your pony bottle reg was trapped behind you and could not be deployed?
Tell my buddy to get it.
lamont wrote: What would you do if you drained your main tank and your pony bottle had been leaking out the tank neck for the past week and you didn't know how much pressure it had in it?
Hope I have something in the bottle I can sip on.
lamont wrote: What would you do if your drysuit seemed to be dumping poorly?
If it's dumping, just spend more time doing it.
lamont wrote: What do you do to get gas out of the feet of your drysuit?
Flood it.
lamont wrote: What if you are low on gas and light and do not want to cork, how do you get as much gas as possible out of all your buoyancy devices?
Through exhaust valves. It would take forever through input valves.
lamont wrote: What would you do if you put on a new undergarment without changing your weighting and started to cork from 70 feet?
Spread eagle ascent. Swear profusely all the way up.
lamont wrote: And for bonus points, how would you prevent a lot of these problems before getting into the water?
1) Don't take it in the water. Apparently the gear is all shite in desperate need of servicing.
1) Take up Golf. (Credit - Josh Smith)

D
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Mebbe we should've made this thread NHZ ???

It's got some good info in it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Grateful Diver wrote:Mebbe we should've made this thread NHZ ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Perhaps, however, it doesn't hurt to keep the situation in a light mood.

D
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I wasnt expecting that, and laughed do hard I blew milk out my nose
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:Mebbe we should've made this thread NHZ ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
That's up to the discretion of the OP.

I know you hate hijacks, Bob, but you have to admit, that was pretty funny.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I concur that there is some great info in this thread and as long as hijacking is kept to a minimum I think it's ok. I did like defied's answers on a few of those too. I might need to get a bigger dive knife...
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

defied, that was way too funny.

How do you get the air out of the feet of your dry suit? Flood it.

I've tried that strategy :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Thanks!
I've also found that poking holes in them before you go diving will do the trick as well!

D
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Okay, defied made me laugh, but Lamont posed a list of great questions (which I know he knows the correct answers too). I'll play. If I'm wrong please educate me.

Great list of what-ifs, Lamont. Since this thread is a prevarication convention I won't say anything about agencies or classes and just answer what I would do. :angelblue:

Donate immediately. We stay close. We practice. It's a reflex action now.
What would you do if you bit through your mouthpiece?
Spit out the loose pieces? If it is impractical to continue using, signal team while switching to the backup that hangs under my chin. Sign "this reg is screwed" and clip it off. Sign "swim to exit".
What would you do if the exhaust valve on your reg let water into your mouth?
Signal team. Switch to backup under chin. Sign "this reg is screwed. HOLD." See if I can get the exhaust valve to seat and resume using if successful. If not, clip it off and sign "swim to exit".
What would you do if your mouthpiece fell off?
Signal team while switching to backup under chin. Clip off primary and sign "swim to exit."
What would you do if your LP inflator jammed on?
Start dumping butt-dump with left hand while swimming down and disconnect it with right hand. Signal team and sign "inflator screwed" and show LP hose disconnected. Continue dive. Oral inflation is no big deal.
What would you do if your LP inflator fell off?
Signal team. Sign "Hold. Inflator screwed". Reattach it. Test it. Communicate. Resume dive.
What would you do if (one of) your wing/BCD dumps unscrewed and came off?
First I would kick myself because Kees alwasy says to check them at the surface. Signal team. Sign "my dump valve is broken". Clarify "No, not my ass. My dump valve." Wait for team to stop laughing and sign "swim to exit."
What would you do if you felt panic building at depth?
Signal team. Sign "not feeling good. Stay close. Move shallower". If working, stop working. Move shallower and stop team. Do nothing for a minute. Reassess and communicate.
What would you do if you had an emergency at depth under the water taxi lane in cove 2?
Communicate. Maintain depth. Deal with it. Communicate. Move team toward exit expeditiously.
What would you do if you were at 100 feet in an Al80 with 1000 psi in the tank? ....and under the water taxi lane?
Ignoring the bigger question of "how the hell did this happen?" I would signal to exit upslope immediately. That's about 20 cubic feet of usable gas which is barely enough for 2 divers (sharing gas) under mild stress to ascend from that depth in 4 minutes. I want enough gas to do a 9 minute gas-sharing ascent from that depth and still have a reserve.
What would you do if your octo/backup was free flowing and you didn't notice it?
Trick question? I would notice because it's right under my chin. If I didn't notice I guess I wouldn't do anything.
What would you do if your buddy kicked your mask off?
Signal. Communicate. Deploy backup mask. (practiced until it's routine)
What would you do if your buddy kicked your reg out of your mouth?
Place under-chin backup in mouth. Breath. Recover primary. Formulate post-dive insults.
What would you do if you turned around and all you could see of your buddies was a huge silt cloud?
Who ARE these people I'm diving with? <sigh> Back away from cloud (up-current if possible). I'm fine but they may not be so I'm not in a hurry to leave. Watch for lights. Group up or proceed to exit.
What would you do if you drained your main tank and your pony bottle reg had been free flowing the whole dive?
N/A. My buddies are my redundant gas supply. And they are always there because we've committed to being such.
What would you do if you drained your main tank and your pony bottle reg was trapped behind you and could not be deployed?
See above
What would you do if you drained your main tank and your pony bottle had been leaking out the tank neck for the past week and you didn't know how much pressure it had in it?
See above
What would you do if your drysuit seemed to be dumping poorly?
Communicate. Discontinue the dive. Ascend cautiously and S-L-O-W-L-Y to stay ahead of expansion. Flood a glove and vent a wrist if necessary.
What do you do to get gas out of the feet of your drysuit?
A stretch is usually enough. If it's extreme? Kick, tuck, turn, stretch, vent.
What if you are low on gas and light and do not want to cork, how do you get as much gas as possible out of all your buoyancy devices?
Vent everything and switch to someone else's gas so you don't get any lighter. Go upright to squeeze out every drop of suit/wing gas you can.
What would you do if you put on a new undergarment without changing your weighting and started to cork from 70 feet?
Why in the world have I gone directly to 70ft after making such a major gear change? This should be a 20ft shake-out dive. Not sure how I got to 70ft if I can't hold that depth but since it's happening I'm going upright and venting as fast as possible, breathing, and watching for what's above.

And for bonus points, how would you prevent a lot of these problems before getting into the water?
Almost all of these situations can be dealt with easily and effectively with good communication and planning.
1) Immediately communicate when a problem is detected
2) dive with a buddy or team committed to staying close enough at all times to respond to an emergency.
3) Always maintaining enough gas to rescue another diver at any time.
4) Watching buddy/team in order to respond quickly if help is needed.
5) Practice handling these emergencies on land, and in shallow water.
6) Discuss the dive plan thoroughly with buddy/team including contingencies for emergencies or separation
7) Thorough in-water surface check of all equipment with buddy/team verification. Primary reg, secondary reg, inflators, dump valves (make sure butt dump screwed on tight), lights, masks, fins, gauges, gas supply, regulator free-and-clear for emergency deployment, etc. Everybody should know what everybody else has, where it is, and that it's working.
8) Thorough review of dive objectives. Who leads, what formation, direction, depth, distance, duration, what objective, who leads ascent and planned ascent parameters
9) Not ready to descend until everybody can honestly say "everything works and I can save your ass"
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Funny story about a mouthpeice falling off...

I was diving with my boyfriend in a lake in WI. Near the entry, I spotted a zip tie on the bottom. I put it in my pocket because 1) it was a good zip tie and 2) I don't like to leave trash in lakes (nothing will grow on it. Ever. It is never anyone's home, unless it's maybe a shipwreck growing invasive mussels. I digress)

So we're swimming along, and I notice him switch to his backup reg and start fiddling with his primary. We dive with each other enough (and I know him well enough) that I can tell it's not an emergency. Plus, we're in about 20 feet of fresh, 70 degree, relatively clear (by our standards) water, so the stakes are pretty low. I look back a few fin kicks later and he's back on his primary. Later we were talking on the surface and he tells me his mouthpeice fell off - one moment a breath of air, the next a mouthfull of water. So he switches to his backup, and pulls out a zip tie he'd found on the bottom (turns out it had fallen out of my pocket) and fixes his reg. Underwater. I gotta tell you, he must be the *only* guy who can find a zip tie on a dive and actually need it on that *same* dive...I still laugh about it.

It was a great response to a problem though. "What's my problem and what do I have available to fix the problem?" Even if he hadn't had a zip tie (because really, who WOULD have one in that situation...) it was an easy, calm switch to a backup reg. With some simple communication underwater we could have decided what to do at that point. Stop Breathe Think Act. As long as you have air it's not an immediate emergency.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

On the silt cloud/separation, if you can't see you buddy, rather than proceed to exit, isn't it go to surface and wait? (after after a minute or so)?
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Jeff Pack wrote:On the silt cloud/separation, if you can't see you buddy, rather than proceed to exit, isn't it go to surface and wait? (after after a minute or so)?
I guess that depends on what depth you are at when this goes down, and what the plan is with you and your buddy. Many of the people I dive with are not prone to blasting up the silt, so I would be slightly concerned and observe said soot cloud for lights and buddy. I wouldnt leave and most likely just swim around, trying to determine what the hell is going on and how can I help, if there is a problem. I mean we all like to lay on our backs and make soot angels sometimes don't we?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Jeff Pack wrote:On the silt cloud/separation, if you can't see you buddy, rather than proceed to exit, isn't it go to surface and wait? (after after a minute or so)?

Maybe. Unless its not a great spot to surface. Like so many things here, the "right" answer depends on variables. If you happen to be on the boundary line in the water taxi path, you obviously don't want to pop up there.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Norris wrote:
I guess that depends on what depth you are at when this goes down, and what the plan is with you and your buddy. Many of the people I dive with are not prone to blasting up the silt, so I would be slightly concerned and observe said soot cloud for lights and buddy. I wouldnt leave and most likely just swim around, trying to determine what the hell is going on and how can I help, if there is a problem. I mean we all like to lay on our backs and make soot angels sometimes don't we?
To add to this, also keep in mind the silt cloud will tend to stay on the bottom, or close to it . After getting out of the cloud (horizontally and/or vertically), you can look for bubbles.
Last edited by BDub on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
raptor
Dive-aholic

What would I do if.....?

Post by raptor »

So I got one for everyone. With all this talk about your dive buddy and response time to any given situation. What about all you including me that dive with cam gear still or video. If you are taking pic you sure are not paying any attention to your buddy. People when they take pic always think they are looking around a lot but they get super focused and a few min goes bye and they have not seen there buddy.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Norris wrote: I mean we all like to lay on our backs and make soot angels sometimes don't we?
You've been diving with Joe again haven't you? I have video of it somewhere.

Raptor, I try to stay aware of where my teammates are when shooting, and we use lights to keep track of everybody. I might not be able to see my buddy, but if I can see his light off in the periphery and it's nice and stable, I know he's OK.

The other thing that's important is the pre-dive brief to layout expectations. If I'm shooting a picture, my buddy knows I'm limited in my ability to watch for him, so he's going to stay nice and close, so he can give me a solid light signal (or in Lurch's case punch me) if something goes wrong. If BOTH divers are committed to staying together and have the same goals for the dive separations tend to be a LOT less common, no matter what the water conditions, or goals of the dive.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

raptor wrote:So I got one for everyone. With all this talk about your dive buddy and response time to any given situation. What about all you including me that dive with cam gear still or video. If you are taking pic you sure are not paying any attention to your buddy. People when they take pic always think they are looking around a lot but they get super focused and a few min goes bye and they have not seen there buddy.
So in all serious-ness, you should never be too focused on taking pics or video to not know where your buddy is. This requires practice, and concentration. If your buddy is not paying attention to you at all, then that's a communication problem that should be resolved.

D
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

You often don't need to surface. If vis was reasonable prior to your silt cloud, rise up a few feet ... you'll get above it. If you're both smart enough to do that, you'll quite likely see each other. If only one of you is that bright, look for bubbles coming up out of the cloud ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

raptor wrote:So I got one for everyone. With all this talk about your dive buddy and response time to any given situation. What about all you including me that dive with cam gear still or video. If you are taking pic you sure are not paying any attention to your buddy. People when they take pic always think they are looking around a lot but they get super focused and a few min goes bye and they have not seen there buddy.
... there's a cure for that ...

http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/articles ... apher.html

... Bob (Grateful DIver)

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Raptor, when I dive with a photographer the photographer leads the dive. It doesn't make sense to have one person taking photos while the other is swimming off expecting to be followed. My job is to stick to the photographer and not wander off. I stay close enough that I can flash my light beam across their field of vision if I need their attention. I try to stay where I can be seen (without being in the way) so they can focus more attention on their photography subject. I'll also state that the photographers I dive with are like-minded team divers. I've never had a problem diving with a photographer and quite like it actually. They're the only people who slow down and look at detail enough to suit my taste.

Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

airsix wrote:Raptor, when I dive with a photographer the photographer leads the dive. It doesn't make sense to have one person taking photos while the other is swimming off expecting to be followed. My job is to stick to the photographer and not wander off. I stay close enough that I can flash my light beam across their field of vision if I need their attention. I try to stay where I can be seen (without being in the way) so they can focus more attention on their photography subject. I'll also state that the photographers I dive with are like-minded team divers. I've never had a problem diving with a photographer and quite like it actually. They're the only people who slow down and look at detail enough to suit my taste.

Ben
:supz:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman