Cuda Alternatives???

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Re: Cuda Alternatives???

Post by loanwolf »

Norris wrote:Let me add that I also feel that their claims are a little far fetched, and I also dont think they would compare in any way shape or form to the big boy scooters. I was just saying that I have scooted one of these to 85 90 fsw for about 50 minutes with no loss of power and it was pretty fun. So for 180.00 as opposed to the price tag on the major scooters, I can attest that it was fun and maybe not quite as lame as K is claiming.

There ARE options if you just want to play around with some propulsion devices and you dont have to spend a butt load of money. 180.00 even for something you use occasionally for fun, is a pretty minimal investment. Just a thought.

Hey Rick the one you have used is the Explorer. That one in the listing is pretty much a pool/lake toy. the explorer as you found out will keep up with a Sierra in 3rd gear, and has a 90min+ burn time in 3rd gear. the new Lithium RS at $1300.00 is faster with the same burn time but they lowered the recommended depth rating from 160' to 130'. For $750 new the ExplorerX is one of the best scooter out their for recreational divers. You do not need a $3K or more scooter unless you are really doing tech dives or have really deep pockets and money does not matter.

Don't get me wrong a X, SS, or one of the others is a lot more machine and much better in the water. But it is also a crap load more money. Does the average recreational diver who wants a scooter need that much tool?
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Interesting, but no real reviews of the RS1 I could find out there.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

It has not been out that long.
Greg
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Looking at the vids on it, I dont see a tow strap, you have to hang on. But for the cost, if it performs, could be good alternative for the scooter challenged, that dont wanna shell out 2600$++.

loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Jeff Pack wrote:Looking at the vids on it, I dont see a tow strap, you have to hang on. But for the cost, if it performs, could be good alternative for the scooter challenged, that dont wanna shell out 2600$++.
just run a Daisy Chain or cord though the handles on the top and hook it off on you. works fine. if you role it up on its side then you can fly it with one hand. Works fine and you do not need to spend a lot of money.

I have thought about putting 2 eyes on the shroud to hook a regular tow cord their but the handles has always worked for me and anyone I have loaned it to.
Last edited by loanwolf on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:Looking at the vids on it, I dont see a tow strap, you have to hang on. But for the cost, if it performs, could be good alternative for the scooter challenged, that dont wanna shell out 2600$++.
Hanging on sucks. You want a tow cord even if you have to jury rig it.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

loanwolf wrote:
just run a Daisy Chain or cord though the handles on the top and hook it off on you. works fine. if you role it up on its side then you can fly it with one hand. Works fine and you do not need to spend a lot of money.

I have thought about putting 2 eyes on the shroud to hook a regular tow cord their but the handles has always worked for me and anyone I have loaned it to.

Do you have an RS? I was looking at the RS1 I believe.
Last edited by Jeff Pack on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

loanwolf wrote: .. just run a Daisy Chain or cord though the handles on the top and hook it off on you...
What's a Daisy Chain?

And do you have an RS1? If so, I'd love to check it out!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

me2

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:What's a Daisy Chain?
Typically something like this with multiple loops to adjust the length used in climbing

I don't know how loanwolf is using his, I always thought he had a cuda anyway... Rob used to just tie a cord onto the handles of his Apollo. I don't know why you couldn't just use a slip knot.

That said, I don't know anyone who's been happy long term diving in current and scootering with buddies etc using a seadoo.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Jeff Pack wrote:
loanwolf wrote:

Do you have an RS? I was looking at the RS1 I believe.
I have a gen1 explorer.
Greg
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

CaptnJack wrote:
kdupreez wrote:What's a Daisy Chain?
Typically something like this with multiple loops to adjust the length used in climbing

I don't know how loanwolf is using his, I always thought he had a cuda anyway... Rob used to just tie a cord onto the handles of his Apollo. I don't know why you couldn't just use a slip knot.

That said, I don't know anyone who's been happy long term diving in current and scootering with buddies etc using a seadoo.
That is a anchor chain not a daisy chain.

A daisy chain is one piece of webbing with lots of loops sewn into it allowing for adjustment of length. and if you have a screamer of a fall the loops will blow the bar tack stitches in a chain each absorbing 300-600lbs of force.
daisy chain.jpg
daisy chain.jpg (16.84 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
You just take the large loop and feed it through itself around both of the top of the handles. the main power switch is also right their but the loop will stay clear of it, You have to move it a little to turn it on or off. Then take a double ender bolt-snap and clip the end of the Daisy Chain to your waist and the other end to one of the loops to get the right position. What is nice about this if you are not using the scooter you unclip the loop allowing the scooter to float up and out of your way to the end of the Daisy Chain's length.
Greg
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Daisy chains are not meant to take or break falls. Slip knots are easier and cheaper anyway.

So whatever happened to the nuclear powered cuda???
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

I have several scooter but like to use the SeaDoo when teaching new people how to use them. It is much harder to accidentally hurt your self if you happen to pull the trigger by accident when it is pointing toward the surface. I have seen people cork doing that before. It has 3 gears and starts in 1st a nice slow frog kick speed. then 2nd is about as fast as anyone can swim with fins. Then 3rd will keep up with a Sierra in 3rd gear if the diver and scooter are in trim so the prop-wash is just hitting the tips of your fins. It is also not fast enough to run away from me when I am on the X. People can have a tendency to say WOOOHOOOO!!! and just take off once they get comfortable and not even realize what they are doing in our low vis water.

I also love to use it when I am using the vid camera. I like to get almost vertical in the water column and bear-hugging it under my right arm and scooter along, caged prop I cannot do this with the X . I can change speed go left right up or down just buy moving my arm a little. This keeps the vid camera very stable in my left hand. Great for wide angle, wrecks, and wall dives were you are trying to get other divers in the environment.
Greg
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

CaptnJack wrote:Daisy chains are not meant to take or break falls. Slip knots are easier and cheaper anyway.

So whatever happened to the nuclear powered cuda???

I used to make climbing gear they are designed to tear out the stitches and adsorb the fall. The force is determined buy the number of stitches in the bar tack. It is better to tear out the bar tacks than pull gear.

If you want one you can get one but not in this country. DOE will give you a permit but HLS will not allow a civilian to have a large scale Isotope Decay Battery. That and a 1-2 million dollar price tag will really limit things.
Greg
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

CaptnJack wrote:...So whatever happened to the nuclear powered cuda???
Wait.. Wutt? :nutty: Must be some uber secret military development that Ben & Ray is doing that were not [sarcasm]supposed[/sarcasm] do know about??
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

kdupreez wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:...So whatever happened to the nuclear powered cuda???
Wait.. Wutt? :nutty: Must be some uber secret military development that Ben & Ray is doing that were not [sarcasm]supposed[/sarcasm] do know about??
No a company in Japan makes large scale IDB's that I work with once in a while. I was trying to see if we could market them but no go here. Okay in most other countries around the world. Would have loved to see that on the web site. Like I told Ben sell one and you will make more money for the year than with everything eles.
Greg
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Screw all 'yall!! I say, go big or go home! :penelope:

I want one of these.. on nuclear power!!

http://www.rotinor.com/movie.html

:pirate:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

kdupreez wrote:Screw all 'yall!! I say, go big or go home! :penelope:

OOh does it come with the gunz!!!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I love these threads. Sierra fury is probably the most versatile scooter out there. Size, adequate thrust, adequate burntime (Fury). SS makes a nice little scooter now that comes close to the sierra. Not intimate with the minnus but it seems solid.

Things to consider:
1. Faster the scooter goes underwater, more drag thus more wear on motor and battery drain. It's not about speed rather endurance (unless fighting current) on most dives. :rawlings:

2. Carrying the damned thing around. It can be a PAIN pulling it back into a boat or carrying it from the shore. :nutty:

3. Higher voltage motors seem to be more efficient. Compare wattage needed for cruising of a Sierra and a Cuda, you will see what I'm talking about. Captnjack can explain this better than I. :rjack:

I've wanted to rebuild a Gavin for some time now, building a battery pack for one would be great. i have a capacitive welder that works great, just need a victim :pirate:
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

kdupreez wrote:Screw all 'yall!! I say, go big or go home! :penelope:

On modern warfare (video game) they used these in a underwater scene. Seemed fun.
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

CaptnJack wrote:Ray might say otherwise, but you don't need a Cuda. What are your buddies using? Maybe borrow one of their's first.
I don't try to tell people what they need or don't need. Nobody listens to me anyway. :(
Purveyor of crack ;)
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Joshua Smith wrote:
kdupreez wrote:This one went up in smoke and took the Nissan and sadly a MK15.5 with it! :eek:

http://www.rebreatherpro.com/2008/08/sa ... ather.html
I stand corrected, but- that was a battery heavily modified by crazy-ass Australians.And if you don't believe they're crazy, you haven't looked at the dives they do- no sane man or woman would attempt them.
They were using homemade lithium packs in Sierras.
Purveyor of crack ;)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Raydar wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
kdupreez wrote:This one went up in smoke and took the Nissan and sadly a MK15.5 with it! :eek:

I stand corrected, but- that was a battery heavily modified by crazy-ass Australians.And if you don't believe they're crazy, you haven't looked at the dives they do- no sane man or woman would attempt them.
Nope. They were Australian.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Raydar wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

Nope. They were Australian.
Were or are?