blackfin Sculpin

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

blackfin Sculpin

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

I picked up this little guy at ~155 FSW at Sundrock. Based on Love's "Certainly More than you Want to Know About the Fishes of the Pacific Coast", I am tentatively identifying this as a darkfin sculpin. Corrections or confirmation appreciated!
sculpin darkfin.jpg
Last edited by Biodiversity_Guy on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Re: darkfin sculpin?

Post by Greg Jensen »

Close- blackfin sculpin, Malacocottus kincaidi
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Those fins aren't dark OR black! What's up fish namer-type people?
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

They sometimes have dark edges on their fins, but yeah, not the best choice of name.

Lots of names aren't very good. Two that come to mind are Puget Sound king crab and Puget Sound sculpin, both of which are almost never found inside Puget Sound.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

:goodpost:

Another great example is the white spotted nudibranch! They are actually a white nudibranch with black spots!
0068.JPG
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Or the California Sea Cucumber - which are found (in my experience) in far greater numbers in WASHINGTON than in California!
- Janna : )
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

I suppose the canonical bad name example is the ling cod. Anyone know why it was named that?

Someone should discover a new species of cod and call it the turquoise greenling in retaliation.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

fnerg wrote:I suppose the canonical bad name example is the ling cod. Anyone know why it was named that?

Someone should discover a new species of cod and call it the turquoise greenling in retaliation.
:rofl:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman