EUP 10/13/12

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
sarinae
Aquaphile

EUP 10/13/12

Post by sarinae »

It was certainly a lovely day for diving today out at the Edmonds Underwater Park. Lots going on there with the Underwater Photography walk, the parking lot was rather packed by 9:30am. So many great folks out there to learn from, it was a wonderful experience to rub elbows with some fabulous divers and photographers. It made me realize that I have only touched the tip of this diving world. Thanks to Dan and the rest of the welcoming group out there being so kind, friendly, and outgoing supporting folks with snacks and kind words. I really felt like I have connected with a bunch of amazing people, thank you!

A local Scout was working on his Eagle project, anyone out there know what troop? Looked like a rather big concrete structure to haul out in to the north end with the choppy waves, wind, and incoming current certainly adding more rigor to the exercise than was likely intended. It was really heartwarming to see so many great supportive adults, families, and Scouts involved in this project.

Met Tom and Emily (coulterboy and emilyrc), thanks for a fabulous morning back in the chilly water! I was a little nervous after being dry for a couple of months, but you really put my mind at ease and picked me out of the weeds. Water vis was great, but with nothing to compare it to for me it was just fabulous. About 30 feet vis, mild current but this area is pretty friendly for hanging out under the water. Saw lots of animal and plant life, probably nothing to you regulars, but it was amazing to me. Beautiful beds of sea lettuce in hues of reds and greens with wide kelp bands make for some interesting hiding places for life. The structures out there are a great place to sneak up on a few creatures too. I was amazed to see such large fish: cabezon, sculpin, rockfish, and so many more that I need to look up now!

The weather was kind enough to cease raining as we donned our gear and with just the breeze and choppy surface, it was a wonderful day to be out there. Of course, every diving day is the best day!

A shout out to Coulterboy and Emilyrc again, to thank you for a great day together, I'd be happy to dive with you any day and appreciate your patient mentorship. You just reinforce my notion that folks who dive are probably the nicest and most kind people in the world.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: EUP 10/13/12

Post by Tom Nic »

Great report!
sarinae wrote:A shout out to Coulterboy and Emilyrc again, to thank you for a great day together, I'd be happy to dive with you any day and appreciate your patient mentorship. You just reinforce my notion that folks who dive are probably the nicest and most kind people in the world.
Yeah, and plus a million on this one!

Welcome to the wonderful world of PNW diving...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

You are a fabulous diver with great trim and buoyancy.. I could learn a thing or two from you! Thanks for the great dive! Sorry I couldn't make the second one, I had to talk to a guy about a horse.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Very nice to have met you this afternoon! You couldn't have picked a better day to dive Edmonds; with the sea lettuce still thick on the ground, there were still big schools of shiner perch and HUGE striped perch grazing, and the light in the water was fabulous. The photo guys picked a good day, too!

Hope to run into you again, and maybe I can entice you into joining our group on a Wednesday one of these days.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Nice to meet you today sarinae! Yeah, diving with Tom is fun. I remember my first dive with him at EUP...I was like "Holy s$!t his light is bright!!!!" hahaha. Great guy.