Hello from John

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Hello from John

Post by johndo88 »

Hello all. My name is John. I was first certified in 1975 in Lynnwood (Aquarius as I recall). Back then, steel tanks were out, aluminum was in, we didn't use computers, you just had to memorize the tables, and it was two years before NOAA started considering the use of nitrox for SCUBA. My, how things have changed.

I have 394 logged dives, my last dive in March, 1991. After what turned out to be a 21 year surface interval, my wife (Lynne) and I have decided to get back into diving. We have purchased all of our gear ($$$, my how things have changed), finished our refresher course, and have completed three pool dive sessions getting our gear situated just right. In about 3 weeks, the dry suits will arrive. I CAN'T WAIT.

If I may, a huge shout-out to the crew at Underwater Sports in Seattle. They have been doing a fantastic job informing us about what's available, what has changed, and the pros and cons of our decisions. They have been VERY patient with us as we join the 21st century and letting us use their pool to experiment with dive gear. All the while never trying to sell us on one direction or the other. KUDOS to John, Terry, and Ken.
Cheers
John

P.S.
I noticed that a 10% oxygen fill was suggested for somebody on the fourm. Got me thinking; assuming a PPO2 of 1.4 atm, that works out to an MOD of 429 feet. WOW! I suppose that with a gas mixture containing 90% nitrogen, the decompression obligations might just be a bit of a burden. <tongue firmly in cheek>
deep diver
Pelagic

Re: Hello from John

Post by deep diver »

Welcome back to the underwater world! Just like riding a bike, you'll be back at it in no time. Welcome to NWDC You'll find plenty of good divers to dive with here and willing to help you get back in the water.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

johndo88 wrote:Hello all. My name is John. I was first certified in 1975 in Lynnwood (Aquarius as I recall). Back then, steel tanks were out, aluminum was in, we didn't use computers, you just had to memorize the tables, and it was two years before NOAA started considering the use of nitrox for SCUBA. My, how things have changed.

I have 394 logged dives, my last dive in March, 1991. After what turned out to be a 21 year surface interval, my wife (Lynne) and I have decided to get back into diving. We have purchased all of our gear ($$$, my how things have changed), finished our refresher course, and have completed three pool dive sessions getting our gear situated just right. In about 3 weeks, the dry suits will arrive. I CAN'T WAIT.

If I may, a huge shout-out to the crew at Underwater Sports in Seattle. They have been doing a fantastic job informing us about what's available, what has changed, and the pros and cons of our decisions. They have been VERY patient with us as we join the 21st century and letting us use their pool to experiment with dive gear. All the while never trying to sell us on one direction or the other. KUDOS to John, Terry, and Ken.
Cheers
John

P.S.
I noticed that a 10% oxygen fill was suggested for somebody on the fourm. Got me thinking; assuming a PPO2 of 1.4 atm, that works out to an MOD of 429 feet. WOW! I suppose that with a gas mixture containing 90% nitrogen, the decompression obligations might just be a bit of a burden. <tongue firmly in cheek>
Welcome back to diving, and welcome to the NWDC!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

Welcome! See ya out there soon
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

welcome back, my SI was 35yrs, and re-certified about a year ago.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

You guys were right, it really was like falling off a bike. My wife (Lynne) and I did our first open water dive after being out for over 21 years. We both were amazed at how easy it seemed. Granted, we both have spent a couple of months working out in the pool, and we've done 3 pool dives getting familiar with our gear. But still, our first dive at Cove 2 was a breeze. So much so that I'm going to work on not taking anything for granted, don't want to get cocky at this point. We are however, HOOKED. My drysuit has arrived, picking it up tonight. Hoping Lynne's will arrive soon.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome back to the addiction John.
Now you can hang out at dives and take pictures of nudie's!
Hope to see you come down South and join me on a Thursday dive, or two!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Thursdays are not an option for me. I volunteer with my local fire department and Thursday is drill night. Weekends are open though.