security camaera's

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

security camaera's

Post by Octoloco »

Does anyone know someone who is proficient in security system's? We are wanting to have wireless camera's along the private road that run's thru our property to deter / catch people dumping garbage,vandalism, etc. We're not interested in a security company like ADT where you have to sign a monitoring contract. We live out in the boonies so having ADT wouldn't really work. Besides -us country folk know how to handle those we catch. :snipersmiley: We need someone who either sells the equipment or can tell us what will work for us and then show us how to operate it. Thanks for any help you can give us!
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: security camaera's

Post by Jeff Pack »

I have a very very extensive surveillance system on my estate, but depends on the distance to cover wireless. I have a 700ft private road, and thats outside of wireless range without very expensive transmitters. It was cheaper to hardwire.

Its not a cheap undertaking, a low end DVR itself is around 1k-1200$, my DVR was significantly beyond that with real time frame rate recording and size (and quality).

In addition you have to consider motion sense in the DVR, and the programmability of that ( exclude areas, etc). Motion sense in the camera's is useless.

Next is motion sense into an alert system, so the DVR needs an external port relay to trigger on motion sense. More money.

A good system, that actually works, and identifiable (can make out a face in the dark) is not a cheap undertaking.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Do you want to try and catch them in the act, or do you just need to id them to catch them in the future? If you just need pictures of licence plates, faces and activities. My recommendation it to pick up some game cams from Cabelas or any hunting shop. They work slick.
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

they wont have the resolution to get license plates, much less with any high level of reliability.

LPR is a very expensive option, my LPR camera alone was the same cost as my DVR. And even with that, its not 100%.

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Thanks.
We considered the game cameras but figured that the video w/dvr and the ability to go online to view them is more suitable for our needs. We have some really bad neighbors and it's time to be able to see what they're up to when they use the easement across the back of our property.
Jeff - what cameras and/or system do you use and would you recommend the company you purchased them from?
While we're not on an unlimited budget, we've come to realization that we're apt to lose more if we don't start keeping an eye on the them so we understand that there will be some cost to this venture.
Thanks Rich, we'll check out the website. Our problem is that we're really very uneducated in security systems and the technology involved. We're looking at a couple acres coverage.
Keep those responses coming - we're desperate!
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Unfortunately, the guy that did mine went out of business, he was damned good, but the economy was worse.

My DVR and camera's are all Samsung, hard wired, weatherproof heated enclosures, with the exception of my LPR camera, which is made by Bosch.(extreme video was bought out by Bosch)

Motion sense are the GE Infra red commerical units, these things can cover 400ft quite effectively. I use these to trigger the cameras, but also use the motion sense in the DVR to trigger recording as well.

There is also seismic detection, but that may be more than you are willing to go... :)

Having an easement through your property sux, I'll never own another piece of property that has one.

Do keep in mind, that property is still yours, and legally subject to "reasonable" restrictions you may place upon its usage (and yes, I've already done this part). Depends how the easement agreement is written, etc.

json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Jeff Pack wrote:they wont have the resolution to get license plates, much less with any high level of reliability.

LPR is a very expensive option, my LPR camera alone was the same cost as my DVR. And even with that, its not 100%.
Funny i used them to catch vandals on my company property. Licence plate faces and all. Stood up in court but I'm no security camera expert.
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

I have a fairly extensive system at my shop that I installed and I did a 40 camera system for a local grocery store in the last year or so that they seem happy with. I just talked to another store owner today and think I will get that job. At very slow speeds you can get some license plates with a relatively inexpensive camera but it will not work if the vehicle is moving over a few mph. I would not use separate motion sensing. A good DVR can do that fairly well with the camera motion. My experience has been that it works to install some wide angle cameras to track large areas and then some very close ones, <30 feet, to identify who is in the large area ones or for critical areas. I agree with Jeff that a decent 16 camera DVR costs about a grand. a great one may cost 4 times that. Buy the biggest hard drive you can get because it enables you to store more cameras for more time. On outside cameras you are going to be storing a lot of movement. I would hardwire them. It is going to cost a fortune to get the same quality with wireless. Going online to view is fine but it is more important to be able to use them like a time machine and go back to see what happened in a certain time frame. Some DVR's are pretty clumsy at this. I would not try to buy all the cameras at once. You will be better off installing a few and then seeing what power of lenses you want on the rest. Don't fall for a "System". Different locations need different cameras. I really like the Everfocus EZ730. It has fairly good infrared and a nice picture night or day. The Digital Watchdog DW-VMAX480D16 with a terabyte HD is good and easy to use. Consider a secure place for the DVR. Years ago someone broke into my shop and along with everything else they stole the tape from the VCR.

Brian
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Ebay has lots of IR cams..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

In addition to online sources there are brick and mortar stores selling video surveillance equipment around Seattle. I've done a little bit of business with Seattle DVR across the street from the SODO Costco and Group One in Bellevue across from Lowes which will probably have better equipment than what you can buy at Fry's or Costco. Even places like Platt Electric carry a line of cameras and DVR's these days.

The last time I was working on DVR's for security a few years ago they were starting to get a variety of options that would be useful to you. I suspect that these days you can probably get alerts based on motion detection across specific portions of the video frame. For example you could capture video of the whole road but only be alerted if a vehicle/person stopped in a wide spot with a history of dumping. With the right solution for alerts and remote access to live video via a smart phone you might actually be able to catch somebody in the act.

I think I was out to your place to buy some tanks last year. If you just need to to monitor vehicle access via the road into your property you may have a fairly simple problem to solve. Catching folks bush whacking is a bit more complicated. Other than your house and outbuildings what kind of distances, direct and via the road, do you need to cross?

I've done a fair amount of work optimizing wireless cameras for use on tall construction cranes. IP cameras with power over ethernet is probably the simplest option beyond game cameras but if you are looking for longer distances I can offer some advice about wireless video transmitters and directional antennas. There are a ton of options and a wide price/quality range to work with.

I suspect that you are capable of dealing with much of the labor intensive aspects of this type of project yourself. There isn't anything magic about digging trenches and burying cables. Building bat houses or other structures to conceal cameras might be a bit of fun too. I'm not really in a position to offer you a turn-key solution but might be able to offer you useful advice and skilled labor if you want to go the DIY route.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

the problem with using either the camera or DVR's motion sense, is the resolution of the viewing area as defined by the camera or dvr motion sense.

My samsung has awesome motion sense detection, but on a big coverage area (like 200x200ft) it'll never see me on the dvr nor camera motion, until I'm within 50ft of the camera. Even with that, if I walk straight to the camera, even closer. Thats why we went with the GE units for motion sense.

Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

True that it may not pick it up immediatly but a good DVR has the capability to go back in time from where it detects motion and record the time before the motion.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

mz53480 wrote:Image

D
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

DCS security systems, he is in portland but is in seattle often. He does them for our company, does great work, great customer service. If you are interested, pvt me for more info
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Desert Diver wrote:True that it may not pick it up immediatly but a good DVR has the capability to go back in time from where it detects motion and record the time before the motion.
My system is recording 24x7, but at a lower frame rate. Motion kicks it into realtime frame rates, otherwise with 16 cameras, you'd need terrabytes of storage. and dvr's are very hard on HD's.

Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Thanks to everyone who responded to our security systems needs. We've got a few leads now so will take the information from everyone and see what we can put together.
:notworthy:
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy