My guided Redondo Lumpy Tour

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
GRH
Frequent Bubbler

My guided Redondo Lumpy Tour

Post by GRH »

Bob was kind enough to take me on a couple guided Lumpy tours at Redondo Beach this week. The latest outing was Thursday night, January 17th.

This was my 4th attempt at underwater photography after a few fails due to the wrong strobe bulkhead on my housing and first attempt with my 105mm macro. I’ve had the 60mm out twice but wasn’t thrilled with the backgrounds I was getting on a Full Frame body. The 105mm, while more difficult to focus and find the subject, gives me more of the look I am used to topside.

I’ve got a lot to learn, especially around diving and buoyancy skills, but am thrilled to finally get to the point I can take my rig underwater.

Here are a few from last night’s dive. While Bob still pointed out most of the subjects for me to shoot, I actually found a few on my own. What a great mentor and instructor to have in my neighborhood.
_DSC6704_72pi.jpg
Lumpy_6771_72pi.jpg
_DSC6674_72pi.jpg
_DSC6778_1_72pi.jpg
_DSC6786_72pi.jpg
_DSC6742_72pi.jpg
_DSC6732_72pi.jpg
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: My guided Redondo Lumpy Tour

Post by Linedog »

Great Lumpy shots! Bob's a great guy.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Awesome photos George! Looks like that setup works pretty damn good.

Bob is definitely the semi official ambassador to Redondo and a good photo buddy as well
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Love the lumpie shots, especially the dark guy with the shining eyes, but to me, the winner is the curled-up shaggy mouse nudibranch. The sharpness of the cerrata is amazing!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
GRH
Frequent Bubbler

Post by GRH »

LCF wrote:Love the lumpie shots, especially the dark guy with the shining eyes, but to me, the winner is the curled-up shaggy mouse nudibranch. The sharpness of the cerrata is amazing!
The Shaggy Mouse is definitely one Bob had to point out and even after he did, I wondered what was so interesting. It just looked like this tiny beige blob sitting on a rock.

It amazes me when what seems dull and colorless to the naked eye in the dark green waters of Puget Sound, turn out to have vibrant ranges of color and texture when revealed by our strobes.

Thanks.
GRH
Frequent Bubbler

Post by GRH »

Dusty2 wrote:Awesome photos George! Looks like that setup works pretty damn good.

Bob is definitely the semi official ambassador to Redondo and a good photo buddy as well

Like Bob, I am blessed to live no more than 10 minutes from Redondo and I have not tired of it yet.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Really nice pictures!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

GRH wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:Awesome photos George! Looks like that setup works pretty damn good.

Like Bob, I am blessed to live no more than 10 minutes from Redondo and I have not tired of it yet.
Maybe we can do a dive together some time. I live in the south end too.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

excellent photos! :supz:

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Nice photos George! After looking at your website, it looks like you know a thing or two about photography :-) I really enjoyed your portfolio, love the sports (especially football) photos. Great to have you here, and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Jesse
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Fun dive, George ... especially after I got that leaking glove fixed. My hand warmed up after about 40 minutes.

Here's some of my pics from that dive ... someday I'm gonna have to get us below 24 feet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

LOVE the little octo in the shell -- how did you EVER spot him?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames