Skunked at O hole

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Clay
Avid Diver

Skunked at O hole

Post by Clay »

Went to Octopus hole on friday with the GF, not a single octo was home all the way down the wall and back, spotted one Juvenile wolf eel in the tire reefs, and about 6 of the usual octo dens. other divers leaving as we arrived had the same luck.... is something going on in hood canal?
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Skunked at O hole

Post by Desert Diver »

In December we were disappointed with Octopus Hole but thought we didn't know where to look. Sund on the other hand is great.

Brian
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Not much pickins at the hole lately, but Sund has been a gold mine.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I've only done Octopus Hole a couple of times, but we never saw any octos. I don't know where the site gets the name from.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

Octopus hole = misnomer
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I dont know, Ive seen several Octos there in past years. But last visit there for me resulted in no GPO's either.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

populations fluctuate year to year. If there was a large percentage of mature adults last year you could be in the rebuild cycle. That seems to be happening at Hudson point this year. Last year we had 8 or more huge octos in the jetty and so far this year I have only spotted a couple of smaller guys. Once they are of mating age that's goodbye time.
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

I dive there kinda frequently because I live in the Elma area, I've probably done 10 or more dives there in the past 6 months and always see tons of gpo's and wolf eels
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Clay wrote:Went to Octopus hole on friday with the GF, not a single octo was home all the way down the wall and back, spotted one Juvenile wolf eel in the tire reefs, and about 6 of the usual octo dens. other divers leaving as we arrived had the same luck.... is something going on in hood canal?

How far south on the wall did you go?

I was there last Sat. 3-9-12
We saw 3 octos and a Juvenile wolfie.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll let you know where.

MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!