Newest Rookie!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Newest Rookie!

Post by Sounder »

Hey everyone, I'm your newest rookie, but I too found all the boards and like the "personal" angle of this one.

I'm a brand new diver, although I've been around it much of my life. I live on Pine Lake (on the plateau)and have a mother-in-law on Lake Sammamish (so if you'd like to dive or take the boat out, I'm always up for new friends). I'm going to be looking for SAFE people to dive with, although I don't count on doing much diving before late July as I'm getting married on July 8th. I'd really like to start hunting fish and crab (when it's in season) and doing as much diving as possible. My lovely fiance (soon to be wife) also just got certified and has vowed never to dive the PS again without a drysuit... so I will need people to dive with as I only have a "built-in buddy" when we're in the tropics. My background is in police & fire/rescue but I now subscribe to the beautiful and brutal corporate america - tech marketing company. My fiance, who is happy to provide surface-support anytime, is an attorney for the Fed's. Don't argue with her... you will lose, everytime, even if you're right. She's a firecracker, but a real sweetheart.

SO, with that I say hello and that I'm excited to get to know you all. I'm also happy to exchange beer for diving wisdom anytime. Oh yeah, Go Dawgs!

-Doug
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Doug, welcome to the board! Wow, sounds like you've got a firecracker of a soon-to-be wife on your hands. Well, we'll have to take this strategy then: have you diving and talking about diving so much that she'll eventually join us in the PNW waters \:D/

I'm glad to hear that you surfed across a few sites before settling here. This is a good group of folks here, very helpful and enthusiastic when it comes to getting together and diving.

You'll be happy to know that we have another new member, Maciek, who lives just down the road from you in Sammamish. I've been out to Pine Lake, but never dived it.

The way dives are usually planned around here is:
- Wednesday evening dives at Alki, Cove 2 (there's one tonight)
- Varietal locations on the weekend, mixed boat and shore diving.
- Some special events we're planning, such as the BBQ weekend out at Hood Canal at the end of June/beginning of July.

Well, it's great to meet you on the board and hopefully we can get you out in the water soon. Just hop on over to the dive plans section and speak up. We get a bit lazy about advance notice at times, but you can expect to have several opportunities to dive with the folks here each week.

:rr:

Calvin
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

wecome Sounder :

and congrats on your up comeing weding, and your new Cert in to the diving world.

We will have you diving the Sound againe in no time so concider your self warned. I look foward to the chance to dive with you and swap dive infermation for Root Beer ( i Dont Drink You See ) Calvin forgot to metion the usal way it is done around here is Some one will post when and where they will be diving and if you want to join in it is a Open invite so Dive offten and have a grate time

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome Sounder!

Hey, I've got a great idea for what you can get the future Mrs. Sounder for a wedding gift!! \:D/ Christmas maybe?!? :santa: Let's see, DUI, USIA, Apollo.... who else makes dry suits?!?!?

Not that you would have any ulterior motivation in that purchase! [-X :axe: But then, keeping your sweetheart warm is GREAT motivation! :bounce:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I'm excited about getting quite active (at least one dive a week if possible and a couple weekend dives every month... more if I'm able). The Misses will get back in the PS but it'll be a while. We're diving Hawaii for our honeymoon and I'm sure after that she'll be ready for a little break. The best way to get her back in the water will be to slowly get her gear piece by piece, and then to have personally dove the place I'm going to take her many times before taking her down with me.

I'm quite comfortable in the water, but am very conservative with safety. Having come from a public safety background, I subscribe to the idea that "if your gut says no, or if your gut says 'should I really do that,' then it's not a good idea." With time and training I will conduct more advanced dives, but have already learned the beauty of diving at shallower depths (bottom time!). The whole reason I'm down there is to be, well, down there... unless there's a reason to go deeper ('cool stuff,' tasty fish, sunken treasure, etc).

I do really want to get into hunting as well - on my cert dives I saw ling, crab, and scallops that looked mighty tasty!!! I'm thinking I'll probably refrain from eating anything South of Mulkilteo (polution) except for the Hood Canal, but really want to get into that.

As stated before, I'm VERY glad to sit and listen to diving wisdom over beer or root beer, or dinner for that matter, and really want to learn the things "you can only learn by diving." That being said, I expect to do plenty of diving to learn those things too. The "smiley" that most fits the way I look to you all is: :prayer: I can't wait to meet you all in person and go diving.

Oh yeah, and one more thing... We've got a small house on Lopez Island and I can't wait to do some diving there! Air fills are a free ferry-ride away (if you walk on... we'd probably want to put the tanks on a luggage rack of some sort) at Friday Harbor. Lopez is the nicest island though, and we've basically got 2-3 miles of private beach including 2 private coves (all owned by the neighborhood, but I've never seen anyone there).
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Oh yeah, and one more thing... We've got a small house on Lopez Island and I can't wait to do some diving there! Air fills are a free ferry-ride away (if you walk on... we'd probably want to put the tanks on a luggage rack of some sort) at Friday Harbor. Lopez is the nicest island though, and we've basically got 2-3 miles of private beach including 2 private coves (all owned by the neighborhood, but I've never seen anyone there).

Now thats what im talkin about!!! when are we goin?????
Who run barter town?
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

diverdown wrote:Oh yeah, and one more thing... We've got a small house on Lopez Island and I can't wait to do some diving there! Air fills are a free ferry-ride away (if you walk on... we'd probably want to put the tanks on a luggage rack of some sort) at Friday Harbor. Lopez is the nicest island though, and we've basically got 2-3 miles of private beach including 2 private coves (all owned by the neighborhood, but I've never seen anyone there).

Now thats what im talkin about!!! when are we goin?????

sounder!!!
:prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: keep the root Beer Ill buy my own
lests dive the coves

will you be joining us for the weekend BBQ at Sund Rock on the Hood Canal?

see if you can fit us in to your weekend of June 30th plans and come meet the gang.
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=213

I hope you can get away for at least one day of diving and fun keep us in mind

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Hello

Post by Ken G »

sounder,

Welcome to the NWdiveclub! I hope we get a chance to dive together sometime.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hey, Sounder, welcome! This is a good bunch of people here, and excellent divers.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Lopez, now we're talking, lets go spear some fish before june 15 when it closes.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Newest Rookie!

Post by smike »

Hello and welcome to the NW Dive club! I'm sure you will find a lot of laughs and maybe even some good advice! Congratulations on your recent certification! :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:

Mike :laughing3:
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Welcome Sounder! :rofl: :rofl:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Sounder,
Your enthusiasm is refreshing but we need you to take it slow. There is lots to learn and much to read. We'll get you started in a pool soon, and work our way up. By the way once your married you should look in the snoqualmie area for houses, I hear they are nice there, and the garages are a perfect size for a keg of Mack and Jacks
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Glad to see Calvin's habit of exhuming posts from the start of this board is catching on.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Funny stuff ... Norris fell for it :supz:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome Sounder!
When are you actually going to start diving? :neener:
Come dive on Thursdays and I'll show you my new "Doug Strap" I just bought! :rofl:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

H20doctor wrote:Funny stuff ... Norris fell for it :supz:
Even funnier, that H20 thought that I fell for it.

:laughing3:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**