Caution: Possible hazardous net at Mukilteo

General banter about diving and why we love it.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Caution: Possible hazardous net at Mukilteo

Post by thefeve »

Hey Guys,

Came across this info today regarding some WDFW trawl issues hitting a snag. Sounds like they should be working on it this morning sometime. I posted in the MMM thread, but figured it might be worth another thread to get the word out if anyone else was planning on visiting Mukilteo to dive today. Here's the email i was forwarded:

Possible hazardous net in water at Mukilteo!

"During the month of May the WDFW typically conducts a benthic trawl survey at fixed stations throughout Puget Sound. While sampling one of these sites approximately 2 miles from the Mukilteo Ferry docks on Thursday the 9th we encountered a large, heavy snag. After several unsuccessful attempts to disentangle the net, we determined that our best course of action was to drag the snag into shallow water where a vessel with a larger crane could be used to lift the object.

After limping at 1 knot for about 24 hours and using the tide to our best advantage we managed to drag the object into approximately 60 ft of water just northeast of NOAA's pier to the east of the Mukilteo Ferry docks. The earliest we could coordinate divers to place hauling lines on the net and a crane to lift it is Monday the 13th at 11AM. As a result, the net, doors, obstruction/snag, and several hundred feet of steel cable are now tied to NOAA's pier and clearly marked with buoys stating "WDFW Research."

We plan to have our equipment completely removed from the area by Monday afternoon but we do not yet know the fate of the snagged object (which appears to be about 25 ft high and mostly rectangular).

If you know of any dive groups who are active in the area, likely to dive over the next few days, and who might come in contact with the gear or obstruction please make them aware of this safety hazard."

Curious if anyone else knows any other details. Have to say I'm also curious as to what they snagged. Maybe they brought a new "reef" structure to muk for us:)
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Caution: Possible hazardous net at Mukilteo

Post by John Rawlings »

thefeve wrote:Have to say I'm also curious as to what they snagged. Maybe they brought a new "reef" structure to muk for us:)
That was the very first thing that crossed my mind as well when I read the part below:
thefeve wrote: .....but we do not yet know the fate of the snagged object (which appears to be about 25 ft high and mostly rectangular).
I'm REALLY curious what it might be!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

The MMM crowd has a mission!!!

:help:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

Post by MorningDiverBob »

I dove this morning 5/13. I saw long steel cables but I didn't check a net because I was busy to doing another. I returned shore before WDFW research boats came. I met Thefeve and nice meet. Hope they fix and remove a net from water. I will check tomorrow morning 5/14.
Go Dive and Dive Safe
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

Today 5/14, My dive buddy and I dove and checked. A net and steel cables removed and everything was ok.
Go Dive and Dive Safe
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I am curious what it was. Anyone hear anything?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dusty2 wrote:I am curious what it was. Anyone hear anything?
Japanese WWII sub full of opium and Nazi gold, probably.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

we are all gonna die... some diver could have gotten entangled in that net and died, after being seperated from his dive buddy, not being able to see in the bad viz , while trying to signal with his air2 underwater
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Geodome 2
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

Dusty2 wrote:I am curious what it was. Anyone hear anything?
I dove this morning 5/15. I didn't see any object or thing. Mess/mix small rocks, empty shells, etc.. where they dragged.
Go Dive and Dive Safe