You've got to wonder about people.

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Graveler
Just Settling In

You've got to wonder about people.

Post by Graveler »

Watch "Things Go Wrong SCUBA Diving at 100 Feet - Cozumel" on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM7A0cT ... ata_player
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: You've got to wonder about people.

Post by Jeff Pack »

at least the DM had a long hose for air sharing...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Fordman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Fordman »

Dumb. End the dive.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Fordman wrote:Dumb. End the dive.
Its not that uncommon to share some gas to even out the consumption between a mouse and a hoover. I've done it before although not recently. In this case, the long hose kept the inept close to the DM (a good thing). Although the DM "wasn't there" for anyone else after that - although maybe it was a semi-private guided dive or something.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Fordman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Fordman »

The review of the accident by others starts with "so you didn't end the dive after the inexperienced diver you were guiding had trouble with his reg? You continued to swim along at over arms length for another 15 minutes while he used your second?"

What we do with our buddies is different than what a paid DM with insurance does with a customer.

We don't don't know the entire circumstances from this video but what I do see is just dumb.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Fordman wrote:The review of the accident by others starts with
What accident?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

spatman wrote:
Fordman wrote:The review of the accident by others starts with
What accident?
Agreed. This looks like a (I assume private) DM doing some air balancing to me. NBD as long as Rock Bottom is maintained. I've done it a few times with trusted buddies, we call it human stage bottle.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I see a DM keeping a very close eye on his inept customer, showing him the reef without damaging it, and having a precise understanding of how much gas they have left. I see a customer who shouldn't have been certified doing a trust me dive. He was actually at greater risk and a bigger danger to himself and the reef when he was breathing on his own tank.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

The only really questionable part to me is allowing the new diver to trail behind without a solid grip on the hose. Might cause a panicked reaction if it popped out of his mouth.

There's a lot we don't know about the circumstances of that dive just from watching a highly edited YouTube video.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:There's a lot we don't know about the circumstances of that dive just from watching a highly edited YouTube video.
Editing makes for good drama! :D
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:Editing makes for good drama suppositions, arguing, poo-flinging, and butthurt! :D
Sure does!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Editing makes for good drama suppositions, arguing, poo-flinging, and butthurt! :D
Sure does!
That's "discussion"... :penelope:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

theres many dive videos on you tube with things going wrong... all they do for me is ask the question ? why was this diver doing that dive? and why was that diver so dumb?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

And also why someone bothered to video them for so long? Were they expecting something to happen?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Desert Diver wrote:And also why someone bothered to video them for so long? Were they expecting something to happen?
Drama? Faces of UW death?
:p
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

CaptnJack wrote:
Desert Diver wrote:And also why someone bothered to video them for so long? Were they expecting something to happen?
Drama? Faces of UW death?
:p
:eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/K3mRxA9YLbg[/youtube]
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

this dive accident is pretty bad.. i can see this happening a lot in the tropics
in this video the diver follows his friends into a hallway as they go down in to the ship he gets lost as he stops to look at something.. the divers went right and then down.. He goes to were he sees some light.. which is right and up.. He ends up in a room with no exit... as he cant see very well cause he doesnt have a light to get out the way he came in, he starts to panic.. after some time he turns around as the dust and clouds have settled and he finds his way out of the wreck with very little air

[youtube]http://youtu.be/r9c2uxcL0Po[/youtube]