Octo/BC combo air supply

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Octo/BC combo air supply

Post by WaGigKpn »

I would like to delete my octo in place of a combo air supply that functions both as my BC infiltrator and octo. I did some searching on SCUBA (dot) com and they only had a couple options that were pretty spendy.

I have a Dive Rite BC and the corrugated hose is kind of short, which would make using it unrealistic as an octo so i need to get a longer one. I can also pull on the hose which opens the vent on the top of my BC to dump air. If i find a longer Corrugated hose will it still be ok to pull on to operate the dump mech on the BC or do i need a specific kind of hose?

I am wondering if anyone here has done this and could give me some pointers on brands, tips and places to search. I am not prepared to make a purchase yet but want to be knowledgeable when i am ready.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Octo/BC combo air supply

Post by Jeff Pack »

Most experienced divers would argue to NOT go air/integrated, the biggest argument being buddy breathing.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

WaGigKpn wrote:I would like to delete my octo in place of a combo air supply that functions both as my BC infiltrator and octo. I did some searching on SCUBA (dot) com and they only had a couple options that were pretty spendy.

I have a Dive Rite BC and the corrugated hose is kind of short, which would make using it unrealistic as an octo so i need to get a longer one. I can also pull on the hose which opens the vent on the top of my BC to dump air. If i find a longer Corrugated hose will it still be ok to pull on to operate the dump mech on the BC or do i need a specific kind of hose?

I am wondering if anyone here has done this and could give me some pointers on brands, tips and places to search. I am not prepared to make a purchase yet but want to be knowledgeable when i am ready.
Can I inquire into your motivation for making this switch? I won't tell you not to do it, but my experience with these systems in the past has been less than positive. Perhaps if you let us know your motivation behind this switch some of us may be able to offer alternative solutions that may be more effective in the water and financially.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:Can I inquire into your motivation for making this switch? I won't tell you not to do it, but my experience with these systems in the past has been less than positive. Perhaps if you let us know your motivation behind this switch some of us may be able to offer alternative solutions that may be more effective in the water and financially.

Jake
+1 on what Jake said
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Nwbrewer wrote:
WaGigKpn wrote:I would like to delete my octo in place of a combo air supply that functions both as my BC infiltrator and octo. I did some searching on SCUBA (dot) com and they only had a couple options that were pretty spendy.

Can I inquire into your motivation for making this switch? I won't tell you not to do it, but my experience with these systems in the past has been less than positive. Perhaps if you let us know your motivation behind this switch some of us may be able to offer alternative solutions that may be more effective in the water and financially.

Jake
Very good point Jake.

I, for one, have used the integrated combo inflator/air supply many years ago. Started in 1994 and was still using it until 3 years ago when I totally changed my setup to BP/Wing, with an Octo necklace. Switching to BP/W was a path I chose, not because I disliked by BC with the combo air source/inflator, it was just time to try a new set-up with the BP/Wing, which I have to say, I love it very much. Back in 1994 and up until 3 years ago, I had no problems using my BC with the combo. It worked perfect for me with any kind of diving scenario in the Northwest. As a matter of fact, I sold that BC with the combo inflator 3 years ago for still a fairly good price.

I did change my hose to a longer corrugated inflator hose with my BC setup to allow me to bend/flex the hose better when I need to put the airsource in my mouth. A shorter hose would make it stiff to bend.

Ultimately, it's your choice my friend. Whatever makes you comfortable underwater given the scenarios that could go wrong when you're doing the sport you dearly love.

For the record, I still dive with people using airsource combos. Nothing wrong with it and they love it.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Thanks for the replies!
Reasons:
A) Delete the hanging Octo for more streamline and more efficient swimming. I like to cover lots of ground when i dive as well as dive in current sensitive areas.
B) I can use exhale breaths to inflate my BC thus saving air and prolong my dive if i so choose.
C) I feel more comfortable with the Octo being right in front of me with easy access instead of dangling behind me somewhere.

Answer to Buddy/shared air situation.
1) I was taught to share my air with a buddy by handing him the one that is in my mouth and then using my octo as my air-source. So that is what i plan on doing with the integrated air supply. I do not do deco dives thus am always safe to rocket to the surface if needed. I imagine if i move to Advanced type diving I would be open to going back to Octo.
2) I am only diving in non Deco situations so if a shared air situation happens we are shooting to the surface and will most likely not require a long period of time sharing.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I would not recommend "saving air" by orally inflating. The volume of gas used in your BC is pretty trivial for <130ft dives. Actually, you could even do this now as a demo by disconnecting the power inflator (just leave the hose right there) and orally inflating. It won't make a whootin annie difference in your overall gas consumption.

The other things can be done cheaper and more effectively than the intergrated bc/octo combos but I'll leave something for Jake to suggest :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I have the air2 on my bcd. Ive had it for about 8 yrs. It works, but I probably wouldnt go that way again. I did it for the same reasons you stated. However, it is kind of a pain to breath off of, and if you need to share a reg, you almost need to use one hand to just hold it in your mouth as the flex tries to pull it away from you. I think in an emergency it would not lend itself to easy use. When I update, I will do like coulterboy did, and go bp/wing.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

In my research i found this is sold by Dive Rite which would be an incredibly easy switch for my BC...Love Dive Rite...Highly recommend them!

http://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/rg2200.shtml
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Gdog wrote:I have the air2 on my bcd. Ive had it for about 8 yrs. It works, but I probably wouldnt go that way again. I did it for the same reasons you stated. However, it is kind of a pain to breath off of, and if you need to share a reg, you almost need to use one hand to just hold it in your mouth as the flex tries to pull it away from you. I think in an emergency it would not lend itself to easy use. When I update, I will do like coulterboy did, and go bp/wing.
What length corrugated hose do you have? Might be alleviated by a longer hose...I am no expert but have been spending some time researching it today...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You could:
1) keep your existing primary reg (that you are donating from your mouth already anyway).
2) Put your existing 2nd stage 'octo' on a 22" hose for about $21 including shipping http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/item/22-LP-Hose-139
3) Get 2ft of 1/8" bungie from West marine (I just like there's the best) and put the former octo 2nd stage under your chin

Dangly problem solved for <$25, alot less than the integrated inflator/octo combo. Not to mention that by the time the combo octo/inflator is long enough to comfortably reach your mouth and allow your head to turn a little in use its a major dangly in its own right. Also no issues or new conflicts with the pull dump.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

CaptnJack wrote:You could:
1) keep your existing primary reg (that you are donating from your mouth already anyway).
2) Put your existing 2nd stage 'octo' on a 22" hose for about $21 including shipping http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/item/22-LP-Hose-139
3) Get 2ft of 1/8" bungie from West marine (I just like there's the best) and put the former octo 2nd stage under your chin

Dangly problem solved for <$25, alot less than the integrated inflator/octo combo. Not to mention that by the time the combo octo/inflator is long enough to comfortably reach your mouth and allow your head to turn a little in use its a major dangly in its own right. Also no issues or new conflicts with the pull dump.
Good idea's Captn. I guess it has gotten to the point of obsession for me...especially seeing that i can have this setup for $99 straight from Dive Rite...Might have to add to the list of reasons that i just want to be different?

I came across 90 degree elbows that go on the first stage regulator which keeps the hoses pointed in instead of sticking up. Couple that with the integrated air supply and would see a nice increase in efficiency.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Based on your wanting a more streamlined rig, I also suggest simply replacing the long hose on your octo with a shorter 24" - 26" hose and a bungee necklace. You are already using a primary donate system, and will probably like having your backup reg always ready under your chin.

Something else I like for open water is having my primary on a 40" hose routed under my right arm with a swivel at the 2nd stage. Now both hoses are streamlined.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

WaGigKpn wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:You could:

Good idea's Captn. I guess it has gotten to the point of obsession for me...especially seeing that i can have this setup for $99 straight from Dive Rite...Might have to add to the list of reasons that i just want to be different?

I came across 90 degree elbows that go on the first stage regulator which keeps the hoses pointed in instead of sticking up. Couple that with the integrated air supply and would see a nice increase in efficiency.
It's up to you of course, but my experience has been that the combo units create way more problems than they solve. They are typically not great breathers, so having to breathe off one when you're already stressed (your buddy being out of air is probably going to be somewhat stress inducing) is typically going to add to your stress level. In addition, you have to remember what button does what on them. I've seen a lot of people accidentally hitting the wrong button when wearing bulky cold water gloves. Trying to vent your BC from the thing your breathing out of while sharing air and ascending in blue water is not a lot of fun. If you go this route PLEASE practice doing this. It's not something you want to do for the first time when it's for real.

The final issue that I see with them is in the event that something goes wrong with you, and you need assistance. Everyone with a C card knows how to operate a K style inflator. I have yet to see any standardization on these types of PI/Reg combos. Each one is unique, and a potential rescuer may be wasting valuable time purging your reg instead of inflating your BC.

Plus I'm cheap. A few bucks for a new hose and bungee beats $100 every day.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Not as much as experience as others here, but my only first hand experience with the air2 was a newer diver joining our Mmm dives who purged about 800 psi off trying to descend on his first dive with it.... It wasn't a very long dive:)
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I had one if these when I just started diving and I did end up in an air sharing situation with it and as all the others have said, these integrated systems are ok, but not ideal since they don't breathe really great.

my personal issue was that it was not only very uncomfortable and did not breathe well, but also when we made out ascend you will have a hard time dumping gas from your BCD using the the device you are breathing from..

you can either somehow akwardly deflate while its in your mouth or you have to remove it, dump gas and replace.. added more stress for me in an already stressful situation.

either way, it's your choice, lots of people have em..

that said, +1 on rjacks idea, shorter hose on your current octo (22"), bungee it around your neck and donate your primary. problem solved.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I started out with an Air2, and I wouldn't call it streamlined:

In order to make the thing breathable, the corrugated hose needs to be MUCH longer than the short ones I use on my wings, so the heavy regulator hangs well down below you when you are swimming.

Be aware, also, that the inflator hoses used with these devices are proprietary, so if you have a problem with your regulator while traveling, they will have to switch the hose out, and if your BC malfunctions, you will have to source another inflator hose.

We got Air2s on our BCs when we bought our first set of gear, because they seemed like a good idea. Both of us dive the bungied backup nowadays, because it's a better one :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

So....anyone here in favor of it?
I dive a bc/w and my brand sells an integrated air supply designed for my bc for 99 bucks. I didn't see that before i posted. it is only 3 inches longer than my current bc inflator and it velcros to my shoulder harness keeping it streamlined and prevents it from hanging. The awesome thing to is i can bring my old inflator and old octo as a backup.
Like i said. I am not committed to anything yet, just absorbing knowledge for future use, for which i thank you.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

WaGigKpn wrote:So....anyone here in favor of it?
LCF wrote: We got Air2s on our BCs when we bought our first set of gear, because they seemed like a good idea. Both of us dive the bungied backup nowadays, because it's a better one :)
As you can tell, most of us accomplish your goals differently. With non-proprietary standard rubber hoses, bungied backup, and 'normal' power inflator on a short inflator hose (possibly a little shorter than the stock one on your BC, they often come too long.) If you have a leaking hose or need to adjust the reg due to age or wear and tear you can find parts & a tool at the dive site (in a save a dive kit) or at any shop, no special or unique hoses/fittings etc.

A few people do use these integrated units successfully. You might be one of them, although for the price of a shorter hose I think you might be happy enough trying the bungied backup route first instead. Its 1/4 the cash outlay and you could sell the 22" hose here for $12 or so if you don't like it after ~6 dives. I think you'd have a harder time selling the DR combo unit if you decide you don't like it.

ps Don't forget you will need to get the combo power inflator serviced semi-annually along with the rest of your reg.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

WaGigKpn wrote:So....anyone here in favor of it?
I dive a bc/w and my brand sells an integrated air supply designed for my bc for 99 bucks. I didn't see that before i posted. it is only 3 inches longer than my current bc inflator and it velcros to my shoulder harness keeping it streamlined and prevents it from hanging. The awesome thing to is i can bring my old inflator and old octo as a backup.
Like i said. I am not committed to anything yet, just absorbing knowledge for future use, for which i thank you.
As a far away observer maybe I can recommend you try it. Try doing the most strenuous tasks while breathing it.

I remember the response from my Boat Buddy on one of my trips when I told him if I ran out of air I was taking the regulator in his mouth and leaving him to the integrated combo. He, was very wide eyed and told me I couldn't do that because it would leave him with a bad breathing air source and one that didn't allow him to move his head as he needed to. Needless to say I didn't agree with that so we each found other buddies.

Unless you dive with the same group most of the time and you choose to standardize the group's gear how you choose to breath is up to you. So, don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. Try it under controlled conditions. Then decide.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Yeah for sure. Part of every pre dive is going over emergency procedures. i may never get this air supply due to funds...i have no doubt that dive rite's integrated air supply would provide plenty of air though. They are a top notch brand in my opinion.
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

I am trying to sell my Diverite set up with the Air2, see the gear for sale section. That said, if you want to try it out I can offer my pool, tanks, weights, etc. and you can see if you like it. I didn't care for this, but that doesn't mean that you won't love it. I wouldn't want to sell it to someone unless they were sure that they wanted it, so try it out. Also, UWS will let you try some gear in their pool too, if that helps. Don't make the mistake I did and buy something planning that it will work but then later realize you made an egregious error. I should have done more homework!
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

You have a lot of opinions here, which you seem to be trying to fight. If you want an air integrated octo, then go ahead and get one - most people here aren't going to refuse to dive with you, and you can decide for yourself if it's for you. You might end up liking it, or you might end up "buying it twice." Just be prepared to practice with your new setup and know how to use it in case of an emergency, as suggested above, and know that the resale value in the area will be pretty low.

I'd just caution one thing though: when it comes to dive gear, you get what you pay for. Usually the low-end models will function, but often at a sacrifice to something else. Yes, even Dive Rite. I'd be very wary of a new $99 reg of ANY type, especially one that will be in MY mouth during an emergency.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

eliseaboo wrote:You have a lot of opinions here, which you seem to be trying to fight. If you want an air integrated octo, then go ahead and get one - most people here aren't going to refuse to dive with you, and you can decide for yourself if it's for you. You might end up liking it, or you might end up "buying it twice." Just be prepared to practice with your new setup and know how to use it in case of an emergency, as suggested above, and know that the resale value in the area will be pretty low.

I'd just caution one thing though: when it comes to dive gear, you get what you pay for. Usually the low-end models will function, but often at a sacrifice to something else. Yes, even Dive Rite. I'd be very wary of a new $99 reg of ANY type, especially one that will be in MY mouth during an emergency.
+1

I really doubt if you will get anyone here to agree and tell you that an "Octo/BC combo air supply" is a good thing. In fact, if you only do a cursory examination of all of the comments above you will see that the exact opposite is true. Everyone is trying to be polite, something that we encourage as much as possible on NWDC, but these things are simply not well regarded here in the PNW for the many reasons cited by previous posters.

I find your comments interesting. No matter what has been said, you seem to always find a way to mention that you can get one for $99.00. Please think about this again. The only reason that octopus regs (of any type) exist is to save a life in an "oh, shit!" situation. Personally, I have always considered my life worth more than $99.00.

Another thing that I just thought of that may have nothing to do with anything as it is a personal decision for you and you alone to make. I do not know if you have any intentions of continuing on with your dive training into the technical dive arena, but I can tell you this - there is no tech training agency that I am aware of in the world today that will allow you to use such a device when undergoing their training.

Like most, if not all, of the posters above, I've been around the block a few times when it comes to diving in general and PNW diving in particular. I've always believed that the choice of dive equipment and how to use it is a personal decision for each diver to make. However, you chose to ask us what we thought. The responses to your inquiry have been pretty much unanimous.

Now, you have still another choice to make - do you listen to the advice given....or not?
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Although it may not be a route that any of us use, the OP's original post was pretty clear that he has made the decision and has commited to the idea.
He was then looking for people that are "using" this configuration so he could get some reference. So it seems logical that he is not responding to all of the posts that are not PRO inflator reg. I don't think we should be trying to sway him either way as long as what he is trying to do is not putting him into a dangerous position.

While I do not use one and would not choose to do so, you are entitled to configure your gear to what is comfortable for you, and makes sense for your type of diving, taking into consideration that what you have will work when you need it the most.

Good luck on your quest.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**