researching my first dive computer, would value your opinion

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Calvin wrote:In the end, choose what seems to have the best interface, has the features you want - and most importantly - fits into your budget.

good advice. my head's starting to swim with all of the possibilities...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

This may help you narrow it down:

http://www.scubadiving.com/divecomputers
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

I forgot to mention my computer.

I'm currently using the IQ-700 (hockey puck made by Seiko, used by Apex, Tusa, dive rite and a couple others).

The computer itself is awesome, easy to navigate and understand. Everything needed is easily visible while on a dive and it's nitrox and two tank (different mixes) compatible. The software is decent and runs very well. It's conservative but it's adjustable depending on how conservative you want it be.

Highly recommended.
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
Huskychemist
Dive-aholic

To each his own...

Post by Huskychemist »

spatman wrote:thanks for all of the great advice so far. i think the majority of you say wrist mounted is preferable to a console, and not to bother with air integration.

in addition to the Aeris XR-1 NX, i've added the Suunto Vyper to my list of possibilities and, if i can find a good price, i'd consider a Tusa Sapience as well.

keep 'em coming. i really appreciate the help.

I stopped here, so I'm sure there are other opinions below...but I am not of the same opinion as the other folks here.

I use an air-integrated computer (Uwatec SmartCom) and I really like it. It is Nitrox capable (which I highly recommend regardless of what you choose...). I like having all of the information in one place.

My own two psi...

Thanks.

Lowell
Happy Diving!

Lowell, aka Huskychemist

http://scuba.huskychemist.org
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

spatman wrote:
Calvin wrote:Another note about dive computers, and take this for what it's worth, there is a continuum of how conservative or liberal the deco algorithms are.
do you know of a site or page that lists the manufacturers and whether their algorithms are liberal or conservative? thanks.
OK, this got me to thinking / snooping. I remembered reading an article recently on the algorithyms behind the various computers. Check it out, it's a good read and a great starting point if you want to go deeper.

http://www.scubadiving.com/article3629
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

So here I go....

I have been using air integrated computers for 5 years - used the Aeris 750 hoseless air integrated for years (wrist mount). It was easy to check when hanging on ascent lines or working with students on controlled ascents.

I just switched to the Uwatec Smartcom (console). The Uwatec gives me more data post dive than the Aeris, but I never had a computer interface with the Aeris (the new generation hoseless has one, but I have not seen it). I like having a console because I don't worry about losing it (i.e. if wristband would fail for whatever reason).

Bottom line is you have to get whichever computer fits your diving needs, intended use, gear configuration, and budget.

Have fun shopping!

Jackie
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

thanks for all of the great information so far. all of your opinions are valuable and the links to the resources are extremely helpful.