Tech BC??

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
ScubaSteve2014
Getting To Know Folks

Tech BC??

Post by ScubaSteve2014 »

Hello new found friends!
I recently started diving an Atlan neoprene dry suit after diving the Sound in a 3/2mm wetsuit for 2 years (yes I used to get some looks) to a 7mm wet and now my dry suit. Needless to say, I love the dry suit. BUT now on to the topic, I'm finding that I'm stuffing weights in every inch of pocket I have on my Aqualung Pro QD just to get down and have realized that a harness/backplate style BC is probably next in line. What's your thoughts on a BC? I would like to avoid weight belts altogether, so I'm still looking for something with weight pockets/integration.
If everyone comes up safe, it was a good dive.
jturner
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Tech BC??

Post by jturner »

I started with a weight belt.... and it was horrid. I suffered through it as it got me in the water but I always had to carry it in the water until the neoprene compressed so I could tighten it again. In January, I switched to http://www.dui-online.com/products/weight-trim-system/ and love it. Its very easy to adjust and is so comfortable I often forget that I am wearing it even with 30 pounds of lead. I got mine at Edmonds Underwatersports for about $100.

You can get integrated weights on a BPW but I feel like the harness is a simpler and more flexible approach. I hear a lot of great things about the DSS set ups but I was cheap and went with a simple plate/harness from DGX and a clearance wing from dive addicts (that is actually a doubles wing... but it works)
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

You can get quick release pockets for a BP&W set-up - I believe Apeks make some. Most folks just go with a simple weight belt though. You shed about 8lbs of lead with the backplate and STA so you're not carrying as much lead on the belt as you would be with a traditional BC.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

+1 on the DUI weight harness system. I now have some weight in my trim pockets, some in each DUI pouch. Some in each BCD pouch and ankle weights. If anything falls off I'm not going to take a fast ride. The BCD pouches are less likely to fail and fall with less weight, I can trim better and if I needed to go up I could stage it rather than all or nothing.
ScubaSteve2014
Getting To Know Folks

Post by ScubaSteve2014 »

Ordered a DSS rig today. SS back plate, 35lb wing, getting the DUI harness. looking forward to it!
mpspringer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mpspringer »

ScubaSteve2014 wrote:Ordered a DSS rig today. SS back plate, 35lb wing, getting the DUI harness. looking forward to it!
Youll love that setup. I have the same except for the added DSS steel weights that attach to the backplate. Those addl weights move 8lbs from the harness to your back.

All in all its a good streamlined setup. Please let us know how it works for you.
ScubaSteve2014
Getting To Know Folks

Post by ScubaSteve2014 »

I've had several people say great things about it. I will probably add the bolt on weights. It'll be here Thursday, which just so happens to be my day off!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

jturner wrote:I started with a weight belt.... and it was horrid. I suffered through it as it got me in the water but I always had to carry it in the water until the neoprene compressed so I could tighten it again. In January, I switched to http://www.dui-online.com/products/weight-trim-system/ and love it. Its very easy to adjust and is so comfortable I often forget that I am wearing it even with 30 pounds of lead. I got mine at Edmonds Underwatersports for about $100.

You can get integrated weights on a BPW but I feel like the harness is a simpler and more flexible approach. I hear a lot of great things about the DSS set ups but I was cheap and went with a simple plate/harness from DGX and a clearance wing from dive addicts (that is actually a doubles wing... but it works)
What everyone else said, plus a hearty "HELL YES" to this. One of the best pieces of gear I have ever bought- sometimes I take it for granted, but then I see another OW student with a 30# weight belt around his knees, and I remember how much I love mine.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

What he said ^.
archisgore
Aquaphile

Post by archisgore »

I personally try and add as much weight between the wing and the tank as possible - I would add a weighted STA to the mix to move a total of 12 pounds on your back.

+1 on that DUI trim system (never used it myself - but everyone else I know raves about it).

The real cheat code I use is, keeping a two-pounder in each of my hip pockets.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

I tried the DUI weight and trim harness too. I ended going with a weight integrated BP&W. Not saying there is anything wrong the DUI, it just didn't work so well for me. I hope it works better for you than it did for me. AS for my BP&W, I love that it is weight integrated, my buoyancy and trim are improving all the time...well when I am in the water that is. :)

That's the great thing about dive gear. It what's work's for you that counts not works for me or someone else. It's an ongoing experimentation process.

Dave
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

Yes, an expensive one :)
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

RenaB wrote:Yes, an expensive one :)
Referring to what? If you are talking about my rig, it was not expensive at all but then again I did get a good deal on it.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

The on going experimental process as a whole.
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

RenaB wrote:The on going experimental process as a whole.
It definitely is.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

I just want to make the observation that a BP/W is NOT a "Tech BC" -- it is merely a modular back inflate buoyancy compensator.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

^ Indeed. I love doing all sorts of recreational diving in my streamlined modular back inflate system. With proper planning and execution, it's even suitable for longer and deeper dives involving deco gasses. :)