Friday the 13th dive

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Lordhelmet
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Friday the 13th dive

Post by Lordhelmet »

Nor Cal diver coming up to your neck of the woods for some diving. I'm staying in Edmonds and wanted to do the underwater park in the morning if the tides allow it. Anyone looking for some bottom time?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Friday the 13th dive

Post by Penopolypants »

This weekend is a singularly bad time to dive Edmonds - it tends to suck when tides are super low.

Unfortunately this limits shore diving around the area...do you have the option of doing a boat dive, or are you willing to travel a bit?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Lordhelmet
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Lordhelmet »

Mmmm, well that's less then ideal. I'm not looking to do a boat dive since I'm not up here to dive specifically. Is there any place that you would recommend diving too?
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

I think Sund Rock in Hood Canal would be your best bet given the tides.
Lordhelmet
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Lordhelmet »

Sund Rock sounds interesting, that might be a good safety option. Are there any other suggestions that my be closer to the north Seattle area?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Cove 2 at Alki is diveable. The entry can be tricky at super low tides, as there are big chunks of concrete and piling stubs that are easy to trip over when the water gets that low. This is not a problem when the tide is higher. Also, there will be tons of people there on the weekend (probably not so much on Friday if you can find someone lucky enough to be off then. Wish it were me!). But, it's a good dive, and a reasonably reliable GPO spot.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Penopolypants wrote:This weekend is a singularly bad time to dive Edmonds - it tends to suck when tides are super low.

Unfortunately this limits shore diving around the area...do you have the option of doing a boat dive, or are you willing to travel a bit?
Since the tides on Saturday June 14th are about the same, would you say that the Mukilteo would be as bad Saturday afternoon? I would like to drop down the anchor line on the buoy during the slack from flood to ebb (at about 1403). Is that reasonable, or stupid?
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

My personal take....

Dropping down the line at Muk can humble you fast. I've seen many divers wig out on that drop. That said, it's a lot of fun if it is in your skill set. I recommend going down with someone who has done it before if it's your first time.

Also, Edmonds is a local haunt dive for me and frankly I never pay attention to the tides there. Sure, it may be low and you have to walk a little further. Less swimming and more bottom time! No big deal imo. If you hit it on a huge exchange...yes, you may have to swim perpendicular to your travel path. A moment here or there you may even have to crawl...buts that's pretty rare...and again, no big deal.

Personal taste...:)

Have a great dive wherever you go!
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

FYI, I was at Mukilteo today. The buoy is no longer there.
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

Well, that sucks.