Hello - Just moved to the Seattle area from St. Louis

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
dfogarty
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Hello - Just moved to the Seattle area from St. Louis

Post by dfogarty »

Just moved to the Seattle area from St. Louis - now living in North Bend. I have only been diving for 20 months, with most of my dives in cold water.

I am looking for a good dive master to dive with for an orientation dive and refresher.

Would also like recommendations on equipment/gear for this climate/location as I will soon be purchasing dry suit, BCD, and octo.

Thanks,

Don
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: Hello - Just moved to the Seattle area from St. Louis

Post by BillZ »

Welcome to the Northwest Don!

If you want to hook up with an experienced buddy you should head out to the club dive on the Sept 6th. http://nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... ve#p257968

Sund Rock is a great dive site and would make a great intro Northwest Diving.

As far as gear goes people in the Northwest dive everything from a poodle jacket BC and wetsuit to rebreathers and heated undergarments. It really depends on what you're looking to do and where your looking to go with your diving.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Welcome to the board Don

Now where's the inner tube BC pic when you need it.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Welcome to the board and its best to just dive with some people and get a good understanding of what you want to do underwater. There are many avenues which require many scuba units..

Tech Diving
Recreational Social Diving
Photography
Videography
Preservation

The list goes on and on, for whatever direction you go there is a gear config for it and reasons behind it.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Welcome, Good time to get out of St Louis!
I don't know what gear you may already have. If your reasonably new and don't have a lot of gear that is one thing but if you have some gear and are just wondering what you need to dive up here that's another thing completely. Sounds like you have some gear? if your thinking a new BC you will do best to go with a back plate wing setup from the get go as it will probably be where you'll end up anyway and if you go that route to start you'll save some bucks. There are some decent package deals available for near what you will pay for a jacket style and a backplate and harness can be adapted to any style of diving you might move on to. Drysuits are another question completely. You will get dozens of recommendations since the spectrum is pretty well represented around here but dry is the only way to go. Used can be a good way to go but b sure you know what you are buying. Repairs can be very expensive so a used suit can cost as much as a new one if you choose wrong. There are a ton of good instructors and DM's in the club. A dive or two with any of them will get you some very good info to start with. For someone who will give you really good unbiased in I would recommend Bob Baily (greatful diver). He is very knowledgeable and isn't representing any shop or brand or any particular diving style but he has a very good eye and can get you sorted out very quickly.
Graveler
Just Settling In

Post by Graveler »

Welcome to North Bend.