Lanyard/leashes on your gopro?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Lanyard/leashes on your gopro?

Post by Rooinater »

So I've been assembling my first uw gopro kit. I was curious what lanyards, or leashes were you guys using and what lengths. My thought was rig the tray like a stage bottle and tuck the setup under my arm on the left side when not in use. Anyone using one of those clipable extending camera leashes so you always have a leash attached when in use? Rigging it like a bottle? or any other method? Please discuss.

Current setup in progress:
Compact Light & Motion tray
Gopro Hero 3 w/LCD
Backscatter Flip 3.1 (magenta filter is actually on the top now, and I'll need a bigger tray to use 2 filters/macro adapter)
DRIS Impact Stubby 140* video lights
DRIS locline light mounts

Currently got shorted a locline on one side of the tray, light and motion will be sending another one out before the camera gets wet.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1415332123567.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1415332089514.jpg
Last edited by Rooinater on Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Lanyard/leashes on your gopro?

Post by LowDrag »

Wow...that's a cool setup. I built a PVC try for mine that I use to play around with and added a lanyard. Pretty much all I do is use a loop type lanyard that goes around my wrist and snugs up tight so I can't drop my GoPro. I did that once (dropped it), thought I was going to lose my camera. Normally for me, once I am underwater I usually have at least one hand on the camera at all times anyway but for those odd moments that I don't the loop works good for me.
SealScott
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Lanyard/leashes on your gopro?

Post by SealScott »

First off, POOR KITTY ... getting blasted with 1,000 lumens... ouch! Ha

I am not into leashes or lanyards... I'm a "just say no to bondage" kinda guy ;-)
Another problem with using leashes and lanyards is that they tend place the camera and lights "out of sight and out of mind". This gives the lights and housing freedom to dance along rocky bottoms, take sand baths and play chicken with kelp crabs.

On the rare occasion that I have to clip off my dual-arm GoPro rig, I have a small bungee loop on the tray that I clip a double-ender bolt snap into and then clip the whole rig into either my butt D-ring or my left waist D-ring.

A photographer that I dive with (a very experienced macro photog) uses a bolt snap, tied into at ±1' cord that runs from one side of his housing to the other (kinda like a rope handle with a boltsnap in the middle). This allows him to clip off his camera rig to his chest D-ring when he's getting in or out of the water. This has worked well for him for a long time.

The nice thing about Locline arms is that they wrap nicely around the forearm. I have a Locline on my "compact" setup and, when I need to quickly get the camera out of the way, I simply wrap the Locline around my arm.

Hope this helps!

That's a nice setup you have. I have a Gorilla Pod attached to my tray, as well, and it really comes in handy! I'd be very interested to hear your opinion on those lights.