Best Time for the San Juans?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Best Time for the San Juans?

Post by dwashbur »

We're trying to decide the best time to plan a trip up to the San Juans, probably with Bandito. There are some good opportunities in the June-July time, but that's usually when we have lousy viz thanks to algae and all that around here. Is the San Juan area subject to the same blooms? Is there a worst time to go there, or is there enough current to keep viz fairly steady?

Thanks!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Best Time for the San Juans?

Post by YellowEye »

Viz can be bad. Worse when you're on the inside. So, go in the summer, when the wind is least so you can get further out (with tides cooperating for the right part of the day). Or go in the fall. Its all good diving though, even if you don't hit the best viz. I say just go out 4-5 times per year and you'll eventually hit something good :) that's what I try to do!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I say a sunny or even partly sunny day up in the San Juans is worth the trip even if the viz isn't the best. Captain Rick knows where to go at different times of the year, depending on the conditions. Book a trip and be happy...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If you really want to pick and chose then September. But reality is that it could be good or bad anytime of year. I would just go when the tides are decent-ish and the boat's available and willing to take you to some good spots.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.