Harness Wear Point. Needs protection

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
ggthatcher
Frequent Bubbler

Harness Wear Point. Needs protection

Post by ggthatcher »

Hi,
Need some advice. I have been using this harness for literally less than 20 dives. Everything brand new. I took special care to line up the strap protection so that it wouldn't wear. However, it is wearing at this point coming up and over the backplate and then over my shoulder. The picture is of the harness going back over the wing, when it would normally fall forward.
The extra protection sleeve needs to be longer, and can't really be adjusted as then there would be the other end that is exposed.

I'm clearly seeing some wear of the strap.

Solutions? What is the right thing to do here? Wrap the strap or put something on the backplate?
Attachments
20150515_201724.jpg
GearHead
Submariner

Re: Harness Wear Point. Needs protection

Post by GearHead »

Maybe spend some quality time deburring the backplate? That's the source of the problem.
The sleeve is a little short, maybe you could try a longer section of bicycle inner tube, but the sharp edges of the plate will wear through that too.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

You might want to replace the "strap protection" with longer pieces of 2" tube/tubular webbing. You should be able to find some locally at REI or Seattle Fabrics. Lots of places online too. Deburring the edge of the plate would also help.
ggthatcher
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ggthatcher »

Hadn't even thought about taking some of the edge off. Great idea. Dremmel be the best for that I'm assuming?
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

The wear is normal, yes, even in only 20 dives. Once it's set up it generally doesn't continue to wear unless the backplate is unnaturally sharp, and by that i mean sharp enough to not want to rub your finger on it. If it's a backplate made in this decade it should be fine. Edit: I just looked at your pictures and yeah, a dermal wouldn't hurt, but I still think it will stabilize.

You don't need to worry about it or bother with protective sleeves. If for some reason down the road it gets to a point that bothers you, replace it. Webbing is a consumable and very cheap. Just know that it will show a few mm of wear before it stabilizes :)

For my knowledge base, what mfg of plate is it? (I try to keep tabs on who is sending out fully rounded edges and who isn't)

Here is the answer from the FAQ on the Halcyon page as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

How much wear on the webbing is acceptable?

Over time and with use, the Secure Harness webbing will show signs of wear at the shoulder and waist strap area. After a few millimeters of wear, the webbing will stabilize and will continue to provide a rock-solid foundation for years of additional use. The use of 2” webbing straps is specifically intended to allow wear without compromising the integrity of the strap.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
ggthatcher
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ggthatcher »

Here is the backplate that I bought. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ2 ... PDKIKX0DER

I got the harness from Dive Rite https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/dr_bpw.shtml#1728.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Looks like a no-name backplate that skipped some finishing steps to cut cost. A fine round stone in a Dremel will work, as would some 320 to 400 grit emery cloth by hand.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

All of the above, but it will take a LONG, long time before that degree of wear progresses to anything that threatens the integrity of two inches of webbing.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ggthatcher
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ggthatcher »

Thanks everyone, I've done 3 things.
1. Ground a bit of the sharp edge off with a dremmel.
2. Put a small length of 1 inch webbing down into the sleeve to lock it into place, but it now extends up where it is wearing.
3. Decided not to worry about it much as it would take a long time to wear this out.

Between the 3, I'm covered. <<<GRIN>>>