New Omega Flip Fins?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

New Omega Flip Fins?

Post by BASSMAN »

http://omegaaquatics.com/amphibian.html

Anyone see or hear of these yet?

If it came out in the form of a split fin, I would be more inclined to try them.

Could this be the next big thing in scuba dive gear?

Or is it just to goofy looking?

Interesting concept.
Last edited by BASSMAN on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

They sent us a sample.

IMHO another solution to a non-existent problem. This industry is full of them.

They are well made I have to give them that but I don't see them as all that good of a fin overall.

The instructions tell you to use you foot to release the flip part and I can see why. The potential for that spring to grab your fingers is scary.

Anyway, I've had them for a couple months and show them off from time to time but always put them back in the box. I would never wear them.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I've seen them as well and they struck me as somewhat gimmicky. I was also wondering what might happen the first time they might fail underwater...

-Valerie
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

I get kind of the same impression as Valerie.. Although I know a diver who might benifit from them because she has trouble putting her fins on in the water (real trouble)... But a failure could be really bad... Also I was thinking that climbing a boat ladder would still be difficult.. from the picture IMHO
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

No, no, no, this will never do. [-X
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Just another useless gimmick. I couldn't help blurting out "BFD" at this line because that's what I do now:
A natural evolution within the dive industry, the Amphibian™ fin system is designed to be strapped on prior to entering the water and removed after exiting.
BUT, still not as laughable as my all time favorite I saw a few years ago in Rodale's dive mag, a rear-view mirror for divers, designed to be strapped on to your mask.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5914769.html
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

I saw a guy marching down the beach in a pair of these at this year's treasure hunt. I almost peed my pants because I was laughing so hard! :laughing3: Once I got control of myself, I asked the guy about them. He said he loved them. Too each their own...

Jenn