Separated From Buddy Safety Stop Protocol Question

General banter about diving and why we love it.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Rob Holman wrote:Yeah, As I watched the spool unwind I started thinking. Something does not quite feel right here... Lets see, 110 feet deep... 100 foot spool.... that means 100 feet of line... lets see, 100 feet of line minus 110 feet of depth... that comes to -10. Oh crap!! Spool empty and ziiippp!

It's kinda like standing in a loop of line on a boat deck while the anchor is being dropped. You look at the anchor. You look at the line paying out. You look at your feet, you look at the anchor again and a little light starts to glimmer... Oh crap! Splash!
Oh man! :laughing3:
Sounds like a cartoon! but I could see where it wouldn't be funny at the time.
Rob Holman
Avid Diver

Post by Rob Holman »

Yeah I agree Bob that deciding to shoot a bag or not is relative to the situation you are in. I'm pretty sure I would always shoot the bag though. The benefits of communication are huge. If the surface current was so strong that I was being yanked (I have experianced that more than once...), I would probably shorten or skip the safety stop.

Most people do not see the safety stop as optional anymore. Way back when, most people did not do them at all. So I guess I would say, if the safety stop actually puts you in a more dangerous situation, it is no longer a safety stop. It is an unsafety stop so don't do it. Just do a sane ascent to the surface and call it good.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Rob Holman wrote:Most people do not see the safety stop as optional anymore. Way back when, most people did not do them at all. So I guess I would say, if the safety stop actually puts you in a more dangerous situation, it is no longer a safety stop. It is an unsafety stop so don't do it. Just do a sane ascent to the surface and call it good.
I agree ... and that well answers the question that was posed at the outset of this thread ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
wrongjohn
Just Settling In

Post by wrongjohn »

This is really good stuff, I am taking notes!

I have almost always been the guy who initiates the pre-dive "brief" and well, I haven't considered a lot of things mentioned here. I think my procedure would work, but factoring some more info into what to do, procedure seems like a good thing.
Don't poke it if you don't know what it is.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

BASSMAN wrote:
Rob Holman wrote:Yeah, As I watched the spool unwind I started thinking. Something does not quite feel right here... Lets see, 110 feet deep... 100 foot spool.... that means 100 feet of line... lets see, 100 feet of line minus 110 feet of depth... that comes to -10. Oh crap!! Spool empty and ziiippp!

It's kinda like standing in a loop of line on a boat deck while the anchor is being dropped. You look at the anchor. You look at the line paying out. You look at your feet, you look at the anchor again and a little light starts to glimmer... Oh crap! Splash!
Oh man! :laughing3:
Sounds like a cartoon! but I could see where it wouldn't be funny at the time.

I think I saw the "Roadrunner" do something like that once.
Charles
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Funny this thread came up. Last weekend at Misery Reef my buddy and I got separated at the beginning of the dive. I have not lost a buddy in over 8 years. I use to dive with her a lot and we had something like 30+ dives together. Well we got separated in the muck at 25' and I looked around for about 1 minute, then went back to the anchor line and surfaced normally. Got on board and finally saw her bubbles. She surface about the time I got the boat to her bubbles. We talked about it and I told her that instead of looking for 2 minutes I looked for 1 minute. This was because of the very bad vis. We had not talked about it before the dive I think because we were so comfortable diving together. I guess one more item to put on my checklist.

Charles
Charles