Seaplane recovery in an alpine lake

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Congratulations to you and the team! This has been really fun to follow, thanks for sharing.
Curt McNamee wrote:Well, we got the airplane on the beach on Saturday \:D/ .

I will post pictures and comments later today.
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Final recovery report

Post by Curt McNamee »

In previous trips up to Lake Isebel, we have been flown with all of our dive gear into the lake which was only a 15 min trip by air from Monroe Airport. A very easy way to go!!!!!

This time, because of the unpredictable weather and the urgency of getting this recovery done, it was decided that all the gear and people had to go in the hard way- by foot.

Lake Isebel has what's called a "fisherman's trail" that goes all the way to the lake and what's called a "jeep trail" that ends within an hrs hike to the top.

Neither of these trails are maintained and are very rugged. Only someone looking for excitement should dare use them.

On Friday, Ken (the owner of the plane), talked a young man that was looking for some excitement, into participating in getting all the gear and themselves up the "jeep trail" as far as he could.

So off they went in a very rugged looking off road Suzuki 4X4 with 500 lbs of gear.

2 1/2 hrs later in the pouring rain, they made it to the top of the "jeep trail" and were dumped off.

Now all they had to do is get this 500 lbs of gear up the last stretch of trail which is almost straight up another 1500 ft. It took Ken and his team 5 trips and all day up and down the mountain trail to get the job done, they are some really tough guy's.

Now it is Saturday, our gear has been taken up to the lake the hard way and now it is our turn. Jeremy and I met the “Jeep Guy” at 6:00 am for a thrill of a ride up the “jeep trail”. With trust in machine and man, we made up to the end in about 1 ½ hrs. The weather was good and we made good time. What an experience going through streams and over big rocks that I would have guessed could have been done.

We were dropped off and then we were on our way up the final stretch to the top. WOW!!!!, what a hard climb that was and we were only carrying small day packs.

We were met by Ken and taken by boat over to camp where the awaiting airplane, still under water, wanted to see daylight.

That was our job for the day, getting the airplane completely out of the water and onto the beach.

With hard work and all the right tools, we did just that. The pictures tell the rest of the story.

At the end of the day, because of bad weather, Jeremy and I did hike all the way out which took us almost 3 hrs. Boy do I have sore feet and legs!!!!!!! But it was great exercise. Our gear is still up at the lake and will be flown out this coming week.

The off road 4X4 that took us to the top of the "Jeep Trail"

Pretty rough looking bridge on the "Jeep Trail"

Jeremy holding on for dear life

The start up the final stretch of trail, look at that slope!!!!!

Finally made it to the lake

The West end of Lake Isebel

Adding more lift bags to raise the aircraft

Even more bags, and it's working!!!!!

Ken (the owner) is very happy \:D/

Curt is also very happy that the project is almost done!!!

Finally now on the beach

On the beach from a water side shot

"The Players" Left to right- Jeremy (Diver), Curt (Diver), Kirk (Shore Support), Ken (The Owner)

Ken, giving us directions on how to hike out hoping we wouldn't get lost
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Great story from beginning to the end. Great job! It only shows that where there is a will, there is a way.. Hope that the bird will fly again some day. Thhat shoud be the photo we all will be waiting for :supz: :supz: :-({|=
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Jan K wrote:Great story from beginning to the end. Great job! It only shows that where there is a will, there is a way.. Hope that the bird will fly again some day. Thhat shoud be the photo we all will be waiting for :supz: :supz: :-({|=
Yeah, and now the expensive part starts!!! #-o
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

After watching some of the videos at John's place yesterday, seeing these pictures again provides a whole new perspective to the difficulty and "adventure" this job entailed.

Wow ... I'm thinking the sense of achievement was worth at least as much as the recovery itself ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dmitchell wrote:
ArcticDiver wrote: Nothing can be better, eh?
The Payday!
This was a "paid" job? (wink) I'd imagine our Dept. of Labor and Industries would go ballistic if they found out about commercial mixed gas RB diving occuring in violation of every standard they've ever written. (whether they make sense or not is another issue).

It's a nice story, thanks for sharing
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

CaptnJack wrote: This was a "paid" job? (wink) I'd imagine our Dept. of Labor and Industries would go ballistic if they found out about commercial mixed gas RB diving occuring in violation of every standard they've ever written. (whether they make sense or not is another issue).

It's a nice story, thanks for sharing
I'm not sure where you're going with this.....

Just so that everyone knows: this was not, repeat NOT, a "paid job". Everyone involved was a private individual and was in it purely for the adventure of it and/or personal friendship.

Comments such as, "....our Dept. of Labor and Industries would go ballistic if they found out about commercial mixed gas RB diving occuring in violation of every standard they've ever written....", have the potential to cause decent people troubles that they most certainly don't deserve.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Previously, someone else talked of a "payday" - which presumes money. I have no idea if anyone was financially compensated and never stated anyone was. I assume there were beers involved and that's about it (no money).

Dept of Labor and Industries does regulate commercial divers (even sole proprietors), so I recommend not hanging out a salvage shingle just because someone has a C-card. They also regulate instructors and the recreational tech diving classes I'm aware of have not been in compliance with their onerous requirements either.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

CaptnJack wrote:Previously, someone else talked of a "payday" - which presumes money. I have no idea if anyone was financially compensated and never stated anyone was. I assume there were beers involved and that's about it (no money).

Dept of Labor and Industries does regulate commercial divers (even sole proprietors), so I recommend not hanging out a salvage shingle just because someone has a C-card. They also regulate instructors and the recreational tech diving classes I'm aware of have not been in compliance with their onerous requirements either.
Im just curious, What is the real point here? Paid or not paid, So this means that if someone that I know looses there snowmobile or say a diamond ring. And I am an instructor I need certain credentials to do a dive to recover those items? :dontknow:
Who run barter town?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Yes you need to follow WA State Labor and Industry rules to do recovery dives for money. Commercial diving, as is lots of other dangerous employment, is highly regulated. Mixed gas diving commercially is particularly onerous as one must have a hyperbaric chamber onsite (amongst many other requirements).
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Good Grief! What is all this discussion about money and government bureaurocracy? I hope it isn't a result of the earlier discussion I sort of started.

Up in this country it is fairly common for people to use friends, employees, neighbors, whoever to do wilderness recovery of boats, airplanes, etc. We always talk about the "payday" with the understanding that money, if any for expenses, is way on the fringe. The primary purposes are: 1)The friendly adventure 2)Get the item out of the place it doesn't belong so it doesn't pollute.

Anyway: Thanks for sharing in words and pictures. You'll have to finish the story with a First Flight picture. Now that will be a pretty one indeed.
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Sunken Plane Takes Flight

Post by Curt McNamee »

Airplane ready for helicopter trip to Monroe Airport

Helicopter and crew getting ready

Getting in position to hook up for the lift

The lift out of Lake Isabel

On it's way home to Monroe

Arriving at the airport the hard way

Finally back home!!!!!!!! Next step---- Time to rebuild and to fly again someday
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Great! What a story ! Thanks. :salute:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

That is really cool.

I'm impressed a Huey lifted that, didn't realize it had that capacity. Also the little drogue chute on the tail is a nice concept, someone really thought things out.

Congratulations on a job well done!
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Hey Curt,

Nice talking to you last night...I see you've had quite the busy day :)
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Job well done, Very interesting to follow and best of all a potential eco problem averted.

Awesome job team!
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Wow. Amazing story. It's truly impressive to see what people can accomplish when they set their minds to something- and this was done by private individuals, not the government, or some corporation with huge resources! Thanks a lot for sharing it with us!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Wow, great photos and an awesome story. Thanks so much for sharing it in all its stages Curt.

-Valerie
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It's really cool to have been able to follow the story from the beginning to a real end. This has been great fun, and thank you.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I agree, short of actually being there to assist this was a fun story to follow, good all around.

Got the plane out
No injuries

I'd say this was a very successfull project.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Neat!

Thanks for sharing the adventure.
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

=D>
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

This whole thing reminds me of a funny story I heard several years ago on the radio. Supposed to be a true story.

A man and his wife owned a vacation cabin on a lake up in the wilderness. The man was a pilot and owned a small plane, so every year they would fly up and land at the nearest airport. But it still involved a long road trip over rough roads to get to the cabin from the airport. So one year the couple decided to outfit the plane with floats so they could land right on the lake by the cabin.

The next year they took off for their vacation. But the man habitually headed for the same airport instead of the lake where their cabin was. He was just about to land when his wife reminded him that the plane no longer had wheels, but was outfitted with floats. The man aborted the landing just in time to avoid a disaster.

After he landed safely at the lake and taxied up to the dock by the cabin, he let out a big sigh of relief, turned to his wife and said "That was without a doubt the dumbest thing I've ever done!"

He then opened the plane door, stepped out, and fell into the lake.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

This has been one of the most interesting stories I have ever followed. Now that is is over I am all sad. What's next up for you to recover. How about a 737. I know where there is one in Canada. \:D/

Thanks for the interesting read.
Charles
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Sounder wrote:Wow. I figured you'd spent the night or something. I'm really interested in the flying after diving thing. I understand that the rule of 24 hours (air) and 18 hours (nitrox) is to cater to the lowest common denominator, but 3 hours doesn't seem very long.
its not just lowest common denominator. those guidelines are from back-to-back 60 fsw dives to the NDL limits with no stops and an hour surface interval in between. the divers who were getting bent on the (simulated) 8,000 ft altitude flights after 12 hours after that were probably pretty bent to begin with...